Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

The left blinker quit working on my tow car so I began the process of tracking down the problem. Yes, the bulb is good. The trailer plug (left blinker connector only) on the back of my Alpine was dead so I went further upstream and discovered a mystery box. It is wired into the wire harness that runs between the trailer connector plug and the main wire harness that runs to the dash connector. This box is about the size of a deck of cards and has four wires going in one side and out the other side. The box is sealed, can't be opened and doesn't have any markings on it.

Any ideas?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

The left blinker quit working on my tow car so I began the process of tracking down the problem. Yes, the bulb is good. The trailer plug (left blinker connector only) on the back of my Alpine was dead so I went further upstream and discovered a mystery box. It is wired into the wire harness that runs between the trailer connector plug and the main wire harness that runs to the dash connector. This box is about the size of a deck of cards and has four wires going in one side and out the other side. The box is sealed, can't be opened and doesn't have any markings on it.

Any ideas?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #3

Sounds like an "active taillight converter".
Check out this link, does it look like this?
Good Luck!
Tail Light Converter
edited to correct link
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #4

"Not exactly"--I dont know the specifics but some brands of car/truck, foreign/domestic use a different wiring config for the brake and turn lights. For example, our 2003 Alpine required a "converter box" to be compatible with our Chev Pick-up. I'd make sure all the spices up/down stream are good before replacing the box....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #5

I never suggesteded that he replace it, just trying to help him figure out what it may be from 3000 miles away.
Now we have two ideas that he can look into....."exactly".
You Wrote
"I'd make sure all the spices up/down stream are good before replacing the box...."
It's usually the corriander that's the culprit
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

Our 2002 had a "converter" in the trailer light wiring, which caused problems and had to be replaced. These usually have three wires in, left and right turn signals and brakes. And two out, left and right, turn signal and brakes combined. This is accomplished with internal diodes. These diodes will fail in time and the unit will need replacing. You can test the wires going into the unit from the main wiring harness. If the power is OK there and not on the output then you know the converter is bad. These converters can be gotten at most any auto parts store.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #7

It's a 3 to 2 converter box aftermarket installed for your tow viechle
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #8

Note: if the towing vehicle has seperate signal lights (like my Alpine), a converter is only required if the TOAD's tail/brake/signal lights are dual filament bulbs. If the TOAD has a bulb for the tail/stop lights and a seperate bulb for the turn signals, a converter is not required. Wire those directly through the plug.

I've had both and have never had good luck with a converter, which is why I made and installed a seperate/removable lighting system for our Edge TOAD.

Electrical systems can be somewhat problematical by nature. And, as everybody knows, it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #9

if you look at the wiring converter they are only made to handle a very small load.on my coach after i installed a new converter box i hooked the box up to relays to carry the load.the converter now only turns on and off a 1/4 amp relay.it hasnt bin a year yet but no failure of the box.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #10

Diceman 1530 & RMMPE
That relay makes more sense to drop the amps. That's one issue, I haven't looked at as I had a shop install the electrical for our Toad. Works fine, but just haven't even researched how they did it. Could you post the relays used and the diodes used or send the numbers to me.
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
While I have been known to "over solve" a problem, I wouldn't go to the trouble to add relays to these circuits, unless you are pulling a trailer with many brake/turn lights. The one I had to replace was about 5 years old. We are only talking about powering one brake/turn light per circuit on your average tow car. Now a trailer with many marker lights could use a relay for that circuit, especially on the coaches with the Vansco system.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #12

Also, if your TOAD has LED lights, the load is insignificant. Besides, the converter is made to handle the added load of the TOAD lights. But, I still don't like them and would go another way.

Although I don't see reference to it, I assume your MH has separate run/stop and signal lights and the TOAD has combined run/stop and signal lights (or vice-versa). If the MH and TOAD do not have different light arrangements, a converter is not required and only gets in the way.

I'd concern my self with fixing the current issue before I considered relays.

Dale,
I, too, have been known to "over-solve" problems. I have relays all over the place. But none in the regular lighting system(s).
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #13

i have bin on the side of the road with my friends prevost too many times, thats why i went to the relays,we pull pretty large trailers that have a fair amount of lights with our coachs.its always raining or cold when the lights stop working.i had replaced two converters before i went to the relays.
used standerd bosch fog lamp relay 30 amp
Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Diceman,

You got that right!!