Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Mystery switch & panel 2000 Alpine Coach 36 FDS

We recently purchased a 2000 Alpine Coach 36' FDS (Front Door). I have two mystery items in the monitor panel cabinet, neither of which can I figure out what they do.

Left Picture--The white DC type of switch next to the Generator panel labeled "Security." I can not figure out what the security function is. Maybe it is related to the second picture which is a standard home size switch plate with two openings in it.

In the right picture, attached to the cabinet separator is the 2nd mystery gizmo. The black lower button does what? Pushing it makes no difference in anything I can detect. The upper small display/sensor may be a display but nothing ever comes up on it or it may be a sensor. I thought it may be related to the other "Security" mystery switch but I can't detect any connection from all my pushing and poking.

Another laughable mystery is where is the switch for the 12 Volts light above the dashboards in the cabinet bottoms? I've found all the other 12 V lighting switches to be the obvious 12 V square white switches around the coach but not one for these lights. I've check the dashboard and surrounding areas for other types of toggle switches to no avail. I'm sure it is in plain sight, but several investigations by myself and wife haven't found the switch yet.

Any tips, clues or help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery Security switch-sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	25963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery panel-sm.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	25964  

v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8dave View Post
We recently purchased a 2000 Alpine Coach 36' FDS (Front Door). I have two mystery items in the monitor panel cabinet, neither of which can I figure out what they do.
Congratulations on the new coach, we have the 36' side entry and love it.

Quote:
Left Picture--The white DC type of switch next to the Generator panel labeled "Security." I can not figure out what the security function is. Maybe it is related to the second picture which is a standard home size switch plate with two openings in it.
The "security" switch on my coach operates the driver's side "scare" light.

Quote:
In the right picture, attached to the cabinet separator is the 2nd mystery gizmo. The black lower button does what? Pushing it makes no difference in anything I can detect. The upper small display/sensor may be a display but nothing ever comes up on it or it may be a sensor. I thought it may be related to the other "Security" mystery switch but I can't detect any connection from all my pushing and poking.
Sorry no clue.

Quote:
Another laughable mystery is where is the switch for the 12 Volts light above the dashboards in the cabinet bottoms? I've found all the other 12 V lighting switches to be the obvious 12 V square white switches around the coach but not one for these lights. I've check the dashboard and surrounding areas for other types of toggle switches to no avail. I'm sure it is in plain sight, but several investigations by myself and wife haven't found the switch yet.

Any tips, clues or help would be greatly appreciated.
The overheads are turned on by turning the dash dimmer.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

Thank you daveshan, you have taken care of two of my mysteries.

Like I said the dash overhead lights are probably obvious--and they are. Just like some trucks and cars it makes perfect sense, the cabin lights turn on with the dash light dimmer.

If I would have tried the "Security" switch at night, I probably would have found that one too. But, I usually don't do trouble shooting in the dark.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

Do you have a manual satellite dish on the coach? That second panel may be the level indicator for the dish and should give an indication of 0 to 90 degrees when the button is pushed.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Do you have a manual satellite dish on the coach? That second panel may be the level indicator for the dish and should give an indication of 0 to 90 degrees when the button is pushed.
Rich and Cork, it looks like that may be it. I do have a manual satellite dish and that panel is very close to the dish handle in the ceiling.

While I quickly reviewed all the manuals, I don't remember seeing this gizmo. The manuals for the dish are in the Coach. I did find what I think is installed on the coach on the Winegard web site and I downloaded its manual.

While the manual doesn't a provide a good picture of the gizmo, it provides instructions about what it displays and shows an "Sensor Interior Wall Plate" of the correct size. It also refers to a battery inside the box. I'll bet the battery is dead, as the previous owner (who had it about 2 years) never used the TVs. We are going to the storage yard tomorrow and I will check it out.

Thank you,
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #6

Dave- if you get over to Auburn, I have paper copies of the chassis schematics for your rig for the price of the copies. I can also mail them if you don't get over this way. PM me for directions if interested.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #7

Most Alpines have a "Security" light switch but in different locations. Mine turns on the Security light outside on the driver's side wall. It's a WAG, but check it.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Rathke View Post
Most Alpines have a "Security" light switch but in different locations. Mine turns on the Security light outside on the driver's side wall. It's a WAG, but check it.
Wil, thanks for the tip. I checked to see where the light was when I was partially filling the fresh water tank this morning but I couldn't see any lights on. It didn't help that full sun was shining on the front and drivers side of the rig and I wasn't smart enough to ask my wife to operate the switch while I looked outside.

It wasn't too surprising that I couldn't see it. The 12 volt lights in the plastic covers are hard to see in the daylight. I can't tell the "awning" light works unless I'm looking at it when I reach in the door and turn it on--and that is when the rig is in its covered parking spot and shaded (but somewhat bright, noon time shade).

I figure this check is going to have to wait until I could see the wimpy side lighting actually light up at night. I don't have the rig here at home so its not especially convenient to check.

Thanks again,
Old 09-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, dead battery in satellite elevation readout. The little black button. Mine was a battery hog and I installed a switch to turn the battery off. I learned to count the number of cranks it took to get close to the elevation needed here on the West coast. 17.5 it was. The elevation is as critical as 1/2 turn. The right/left movement is more forgiving. Be sure to level the rv first or you will go crazy.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Yep, dead battery in satellite elevation readout. The little black button. Mine was a battery hog and I installed a switch to turn the battery off. I learned to count the number of cranks it took to get close to the elevation needed here on the West coast. 17.5 it was. The elevation is as critical as 1/2 turn. The right/left movement is more forgiving. Be sure to level the rv first or you will go crazy.
Thank you for the tip. From watching the home installation of our Dish Network satellite, I could see it was fairly sensitive. I'm going to give it a try but I think I can see an automatic antenna in the future.

Regards,
Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since the dish in not likely a high def dish they are fairly simple to align once you have done it a few times. Get a decent compass and get it pointed close to the correct direction. Count the cranks as you raise it. Since you are in Northern Ca try 17 cranks. Then slowly move it right and left. If you get a hint of signal lock it in place and raise or lower it for max signal. Then unlock and tweak right and left again. Practive this setup clear of any trees. Not one twig in the way or you will fight it.

Once you have the digital readout running that should help you get very close to the correct angle.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Since the dish in not likely a high def dish they are fairly simple to align once you have done it a few times. Get a decent compass and get it pointed close to the correct direction. Count the cranks as you raise it. Since you are in Northern Ca try 17 cranks. Then slowly move it right and left. If you get a hint of signal lock it in place and raise or lower it for max signal. Then unlock and tweak right and left again. Practive this setup clear of any trees. Not one twig in the way or you will fight it.

Once you have the digital readout running that should help you get very close to the correct angle.
Thank you YC1, Rich and Cork, Wil, and Daveshan, I have identified the current set of mystery items thanks to your help.

The right picture panel is the Satellite antenna indicator. I haven't actually received a signal yet as the coach is parked under a metal roof.

I'll download the Satellite Finder phone app and the next trip out I'll drag along one of the satellite receivers from home. Then I'll see if I can make this whole satellite thing work.

Best Regards,