Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Neat New Cooking Device

All - Well we were looking for a new washer and dryer today, and ran across this neat little cooking device. It's not for everyone, but for us it will work 90% of the time so we don't have to use the propane stove. Don't get me wrong, I would not have an all electric coach for any reason, but when itís cold outside and having to open the window for cross ventilation and starting the ceiling fan to exhaust the fumes cools down the unit, and wastes fuel to keep coach warm. Additionally, it does not produce any extra heat; it only heats the pan/food, so it would also keep the coach cooler on a hot day.

We found the "Frigidaire Induction Burner" Model FGIC13P3KS. It is larger than a 5th Burner, (14Ē long X 12Ē wide X 2.6Ē high-so the unit can breathe and it has a little cooling fan in it as well) has a timer feature, six levels of heat, and you can lock the controls so your selected settings donít get changed. It will fit on top of the existing stove countertop and we would not have to open the window/vent to use it. It took 90 seconds to boil water using it in a pot, so it's 5 times faster than conventional cooking. I would keep/use the box it came in (has an omelet pan included) to store when we move the coach to a new place. If we need an oven, the grill outside works well for that, since I keep a couple of cast iron skillets in the coach for those times, tater tots come to mind. We also can use the Advantium Convection unit for making muffins or such as that. So the propane in the tank will now last 4 years, instead of the 2, now how cool is that? For the few times we dry camp, we have the inverter/generator and the propane stove or grill outside to get us through.

Here is a link for an explanation on how it works: http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml - Now all you engineers already knew, as did I since itís just electrical magnetic lines of force being cut, with the pan heating up, not the unit itself, although still a neat process. The demo we saw, the person put sheets of paper between the top of the unit and the bottom of the pan, and the water still boiled, the paper never burned or even got brown. You will need cookware made out of ferrous metals, like stainless steel, cast iron, coated cast iron (better so it does not scratch the smooth glass surface), etc. The bottom of the cookware needs to be absolutely flat, so garage sales are not the place to get that. Aluminum cookware (bad stuff anyway for your health) wonít work on these devices. Corning ware will not work on these devices. So you might need to get some new pots and pans, this works out because woman love to shop for pots and pans, (that is a joke son, a joke)!!

Here is a link to it on amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YEI8WM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p265_d0_g265_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0D ER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0878JPG6QZARYAP36EMH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 Ė Lots of different companies make them, this one is 1300 watts, other brands have higher setting, you can check out various models. This unit is built very well, not cheap and itís nice and stable, some weight to it and it has nice rubber feet which grip the surface itís on, and with those measurements it wonít tip over with a large pan on it. I recommend it because of the quality built in, however, itís made in china if that bugs you, and you are interested in this type of unit, check other brands, I would go see those models in person to check how stable they are with a large pan on them. I am sure there are drawbacks, but I think this thing is going to handle lots of our routine cooking in the coach.

There is a caution in the manual about pacemakers, and the magnetic strips on credit cards so the 12Ē limit away from it for Pacemakers will also protect those as well.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dad has induction heat cooktop.. works great. Need stainless or iron pans though.. or pans with a stainless disk in the base.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote