Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Need advice!

What do y'all think about a 2003 36MD, with the 400 upgrade...around 35,000 miles, less than 200 hours on gen, garage-kept, one owner, for $65,900? I've never owned a bus but in the early 2000's I walked into an Alpine at the Hershey RV show and never quite got over it! It has been a dream of mine to own one, and now that I'm retired, I can finally swing it....especially in this price range. I like the shorter length due to the fact that it doesn't seem quite so intimidating, as well as the fact that we will be doing a lot of camping in National Forests, and smaller parks. I am disappointed that it doesn't have a washer/dryer, but am thinking that I can work around that. This is being sold by a dealer on the West Coast, and I will have to travel from West Virginia. For this money (NADA average is around $71,000), does this sound like an okay deal? I plan to ask for a presale inspection. By the way, I'm a woman so please don't assume I know a lot....but I have been doing a lot of research over the years and am aware that it won't be perfect. Any advice at this stage would be great. My biggest fear is that if I would have waited a little longer, maybe I could get a 40 ft with washer/dryer, maybe a year or so newer. Is that unrealistic in this price range?Heck, the more I type this out, the more I'm thinking of jumping on this deal.
Thanks so much for any insight and advice...and also to the many people on this forum whom I have learned so much from over the years.

Kiddikop (AKA Pam and Sandy)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

If the NADA guide says 71K then the deal is not all that sweet because as far as I know they base off if the coach was still available new. The few rigs I have bought used, we definitely on the lowest price of the NADA guide. Unfortunately I don't know much about this make, but 200hrs on a geni is pretty low, but that may mean it spent time at RV parks more than dry camping.

I say if you have some doubts, take your time and look around. I don't think it is a super deal where it is going to disappear anytime soon. 2003 is getting on the old side, but you can find many that have been well taken care of, which can be a wise purchase.

Just my two cents. Never rush. There are tons out there. I hope you get your dream soon and are happy with your choice.

PS: it is a nice looking coach!

Take Care,

Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Can you post a link to the on-line ad so we can take a look at this coach? Would help with possible valuation opinions.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

If the '03 is like my '04, it is likely pre-plumbed for a washer/dryer. But you will lose some closet space. Not your main question, but I thought it might be of interest to you.

In my opinion any coach is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Or what somebody is willing to pay for it if you are trying to sell it. It isn't an investment. Don't plan to be able to sell it anytime you want for what you paid for it.

I plan to use mine up and sell it for scrap metal when I am done. Anything more is a bonus. I am right on schedule.

If you can, find out the coach VIN number (the last 5 digits), and check back here. Someone here might know its history.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
for what its worth i bought mine in February for $65k which could be high but seemed to be in the ball park compared to other coaches in my area (02 38fdds 370hp isl with 17700 miles), mine is also pulmbed for washer/dryer but would have to remove the drawers just past the bath, there is not a very good selection of alpines out there, sounds like a nice coach
Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Re 36MD specs

This unit can be seen at Idaho RV Dealer | Washington RV Dealer | New and Used RVs For Sale Idaho & Washington, located in Portland, OR. Dealer doesn't have much info on website, and very few photos. Saleswoman called and emailed some info, saying between 30-35,000 miles (couldn't be sure because they let the batteries run down, but are charging them now to give me more accurate figure), said the tires are new (but didn't say how new), said the coach has the satellite with receiver, and tow packages (unk what types), and has been garage-kept. She reduced price to 65,994 almost immediately (to help me with my transportation costs from West Virginia-LOL). I will attempt to upload pdf file of window sticker.

36MD.pdf
Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Re 36MD specs website

The website info didn't come thru...it's at bluedogrv.com
Hey, now that I've posted all this info, is there a chance that someone will come along and outbid me if I decide to go ahead and buy it? That would be pretty lousy!!!! Can't find the VIN number yet, but will ask.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
In looking at the pictures of the coach it seems likely that someone on the forum or the ACA may know the previous owner or may be the previous owner.The slogan on the back is pretty unique.
If I am reading the invoice correctly the # is 74807.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #9

That 74807 is the number you are looking for. There is a "sticky" at the top of the threads list with people who have posted their vin #. Look through that for this number, if you don't get a response on your thread.

The blue paint scheme is not real common.

Have fun looking. Hope you find what you want!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

If the batteries were so dead they would not activate the gauges then you need to figure new batteries. House batteries about $120. ea. M/L and $160. ea. for chassis batteries M/L. Have them show you how the tv dish system works. MotoSat is out of business and that was a system that WRV used during that period of time, another 2-3 k. If tires are 6-7 years old add another $4000. M/L Sorry for the bad news, but I think you are on the right track looking at the Alpine!

Beagle
Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Am I missing something when looking at the photos or is there no front TV in this coach? The invoice shows a 27" TV as included equipment but I don't see such an animal where the TV's usually go.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Am I missing something when looking at the photos or is there no front TV in this coach? The invoice shows a 27" TV as included equipment but I don't see such an animal where the TV's usually go.
I asked about that as well. Dealer said it was mounted over the door????
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

Re 36md

Well, based on battery condition as well as some other things, I made a much lower offer....have heard absolutely nothing back. May have to keep looking.

In that regard, to those of you with the 40 footers, have you experienced many problems getting into National Parks, State Parks, National Forest campgrounds? I am a fly fisher woman and those types of campgrounds appeal to me.

Thanks y'all!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Looks like a very nice coach from what I can see. Keep in mind the Alpine 36' coach is 37' long. If you count the space you get with the bedroom slide, you have basically the same amount of space as a 40' single slide coach. I would say that the price is very fair considering the miles as long as the condition is as good in person as it appears in the pictures.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-7-2014 11-31-08 AM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	57678  

Tags
advice