Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
B & B

There is also an article/advertisement in the latest Camping World magazine "RV View" about the little HD box that converts over the air signals for use in analog TVs. I bought one $59, works great. It is plugged in between the batwing's cable and the TV. I now get lots more free channels, too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #16

Thanks for these replies and links to helpful information. I haven't heard back from Phil Mattoon, so I plan to call him tomorrow. If he can get the Sony receiver to us (probably the kind Old Forrester has), that is the route we plan to go. It seems the simplest at this point.

Beverly and Buddy
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #17

I learned something from this thread as well. Didn't realize the silver surround was a TV and the black surround was a monitor on the LG's. Mine is silver, so I actually have a TV. That changes some of my thoughts for downstream replacement of the RCA satellite receiver, if I need to do so.

The buttons on our Sony DVD/amplifier or hard to see without standing on the driver seat because they're on the top of the front, but they work fairly well from the Sony remote or the Harmony universal control if you have that as well.

Hope you get the Sony promptly and it works as well for you as it does for us.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #18

Buddy & Beverly, You might consider a good home stereo store (not a best Buys or Circuit City) but someone that specializes in stereo systems for your house. They may be able to help you install an entire new system, TV's and all.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #19

Ted III,

We didn't do exactly what you suggested, but we did call a "RV remodeling" place while in Florida. They gave us an estimate of between $3800 and 5500 to install a new system. No thanks. I'll be calling Phil Matoon tomorrow to see if he has gotten these Sony receivers.

Maybe that's a clue as to the $4300+ option listed on our MSRP sheet for the upgraded system. From my numerous previous posts regarding tv's, most of you know we hardly got to use this at all. Finally get it "dumbed down" so we can use it, and the thing goes out within 20 hours of use. But then that's obviously not as bad as some of you have had.

WRV knows there is a big issue with these Kenwood receivers, and I believe they'll take care of it as they have others.

Beverly

Beverly
Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #20

Buddy & Beverly, maybe you have one of those older units that you have to put a quarter in for each hour! Have you checked around for a slot for money or is that just every month like the rest of us.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #21

I would love to get rid of the Kenwood. Could one of you folks who have the Sony replacement please post the model number.
And I'll go back to another question I posed some time ago and got no responses: has anyone tried the Bose 3-2-1 system - yes, I know it is more expensive, but the sound is great.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #22

Ted III,

At $4300 divided by 20 hrs., I would love to "just" be putting quarters in.

Beverly
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #23

At long last I seem to be able to contribute something to this forum instead of always being the one with all the problems asking for help.

I talked with Phil Matoon today. The Sony receivers can be ordered from River Park, Indiana. The numbers and prices are as follows:

1)Receiver with rebuilt head is number HCD-FC7B, price - $125.

2) Wire kit number 1-827-243-11, price, $27.

3) Remote number 1-478-143-11, price $40.

Call 800-442-7717 and ask for "order entry."

I ordered ours today. It is to be sent out tomorrow by UPS and should be here within two days after that.

If you need to speak with a tech, call James Kilburn at 574-970-2928.

If we can't get it wired in, I may be on the "asking" end again.

Beverly
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
David:

I installed the Bose 3-2-1 Series in my last coach and, indeed, it sounded great.

It does have two limitations:

1. The base sub-woofer unit is where the power comes into the system. (There is no power plug for the control unit). Then a proprietary cable runs out from the base unit to the control unit. Then another proprietary cable runs out of the base unit, splits and goes to the two speakers. The problem is that in a coach, the base (sub-woofer) is usually back, mid-coach on the floor, away from the TV. The speakers are up front with the control unit and the TV. That requires purchasing longer proprietary cables (that aren't cheap) and running these rather large cables with non-removable plug ends from the floor at mid-coach, through and around everything and up into the overhead cabinets, where the entertainment center is.

2. With the GSX version there are some input slots available if they are digital optical or ethernet. You also cannot plug in any extra speakers. The regular 3-2-1 won't allow you to plug anything into the control unit to supply additional inputs or outputs.

I did just notice that the new GSX has the new Bose Link system to send a signal to a powered speaker sytem with base unit to the rear of the coach (nice feature).

Here is the owner's manual for the GSX.

I picked my system up for $599 on eBay. The GSX is $1499.

If you can set the system up mid coach or just want it for the bedroom, I'd highly recommend it. However, wiring in a standard setup is a challenge for routing cable. I went through upper cabinets, all the way through. On an Alpine, it wouldn't really be too hard. Just the cable from the floor and up into the cabinets would need to be hidden. You'll also have to consider where you are going to plug in the base unit to power.