Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #1

This is a two part post. First, would some more computer literate than I tell me how to bring up a previous thread on a subject. I spent a long time looking for the thread on entertainment systems, post by post. Then when I found a couple, they didn't seem to be addressing what we would like, hence the new thread.

Second. Even though it has probably been used less than 20 hours, our Kenwood DVD control center seems to be out. We can get NO lights on. We have decided we would rather purchase a new TV instead of using the LG monitor, etc.

Have any of you simply took all of this entertainment system out and replaced it with a TV that has DVD player, etc. If so, what brand did you buy. Did you have to make cabinet modifications, wiring modifications, etc.? Would it be better to have the DVD unit separate from the TV? At this time, we don't intend to hook up the satelite, but would want it to be available to do so. We just simply would like to get air and cable TV and watch DVDs.

Thanks to all of you who so patiently reply to my posts.

Beverly and Buddy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #2

This is a two part post. First, would some more computer literate than I tell me how to bring up a previous thread on a subject. I spent a long time looking for the thread on entertainment systems, post by post. Then when I found a couple, they didn't seem to be addressing what we would like, hence the new thread.

Second. Even though it has probably been used less than 20 hours, our Kenwood DVD control center seems to be out. We can get NO lights on. We have decided we would rather purchase a new TV instead of using the LG monitor, etc.

Have any of you simply took all of this entertainment system out and replaced it with a TV that has DVD player, etc. If so, what brand did you buy. Did you have to make cabinet modifications, wiring modifications, etc.? Would it be better to have the DVD unit separate from the TV? At this time, we don't intend to hook up the satelite, but would want it to be available to do so. We just simply would like to get air and cable TV and watch DVDs.

Thanks to all of you who so patiently reply to my posts.

Beverly and Buddy

Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #3

When I was trying to get my system to operate properly I had the LG satellite receiver die, and the system was really unique to that unit. Since it was no longer made and having it repaired was going to take months plus $$$ I simlpy found a used one on Ebay. Problem solved. You're solution would be most cheaply solved by replacing the Kenwood with another identical new one (if you can find it) or a lightly used one.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #4

Just buy any home intertainment receiver that will fit in the overhead and hook it up. It will work with the system and is the least expensive way to go.

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #5

Our Kenwood DVD entertainment system failed in the first 5 hours. At the factory, they replaced it with Sony that they were using on APEX's at the time. It fit the same spot and has worked fine since we traded it out. Our LG monitor has also always worked fine.

The simplest solution is to replace it with a Sony. Unfortunately I don't have access to my coach right now to get the model number for you, but I know if you can find the thread, several others have replaced the Kenwood with this Sony or its newer equivalent.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

The new Alpines have a 5 disc DVD unit - the RCA RTD258 Home Theater System.

This is about 3 inches wider than our Kenwood. We'd love to find a 5 disc DVD player that fits in our current slot. I'd like to be able to keep several DVDs loaded.

Audrey
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #7

That fiberboard faceplate should be really easy to trim to fit the RCA unit.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #8

Thanks for these suggestions. Looks like we're certainly not alone in needing to do this.

We're not inclined to get another Kenwood, even if one could be found, because they don't seem to last.

Old Forester, if we get the Sony receiver, do all the wires fit up the same way or will we have to rewire the whole thing?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #9

I didn't wire the replacement Sony unit, but I have had it out of the slot several times and I have not found any evidence of spliced or changed wires.

I think it must be a direct replacement because WRV changed it very quickly when the Kenwood failed. We have the RCA Direct TV system, but the Sony audio system that replaced the Kenwood. They are very compatible.

You should probably call WRV and ask them if the Sony unit is a direct replacement for the Kenwood without a lot of wiring, as I think it is. Phil Matoon could probably answer it or direct you to who could.

That's about all I can help you with unless I saw your RV. But WRV can probably really help you with this since they did it for me.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #10

I'll try....

First, some background. Different Alpines I've seen have different combinations of TV/monitors, sound systems ("control centers") and components/connections.

TVs differ from monitors, where monitors don't have tuners or speakers and often do not have a coaxial input. TV tuning -with a monitor- is provided from another component (in my case, a VCR player with a TV tuner.

TVs and monitors may have a sound output, but to drive more than 2 speakers through the TV/monitor isn't ideal, hence the need for a sound system that will drive the 4 or 5 speaker system in most Alpines I've seen.

Components vary widely, with combos (VCR/DVD), dedicated units (DVD only) and comprehensive ("control centers" with multiple functions and sound systems). Connections get really confusing, but if you pay for a unit that has higher quality video input/output, it makes sense to use them for the best picture quality.

Connections get even more complicated when a Winegard switch is used to route signals from/to cable connection/components and the main/bedroom TV.

I know all of this may be very confusing, but it may help some in planning. Otherwise, here's my suggestions:

TV -- I prefer stand alone (no combo) LCD. It's lighter, consumes less power and generates less heat than CRT or plasma. LCD (and most flat panel TVS) have adopted standard mounting conventions, so mounts are plentiful, although some modification of the coach mounting may be needed. Look for HD (1080i and/or 720p) with multiple HDMI (at least two) connections. All TVs should still have an "NTSC" (coaxial) connection, but be sure. If you want a sound system, TV will need to output sound via RCA jacks.

DVD -- these are plentiful and cheap (~$60 -90). Makes sure it has an HDMI and a composite video (RCA jacks) output. I suggest dedicated (no combo sound system), but a DVD with a sound system will work. I just prefer separate componentry to keep failures isolated and cheaper to replace.

Sound -- You have an option (and some consequential complexity) here. If you wish to use the coach speakers (instead of just using the TV speakers), get an inexpensive sound system that will drive 5 speakers (assuming your coach has 5).

Connections --
--For cable, go from the Winegard to the main TV. This will preserve switching cable input to the BR TV
--For DVD, go HDMI to the TV. Then connect composite (RCA jacks) from the DVD to the Winegard (every Alpine I've seen has one, but if not, post back). The WInegard has a modulator that will convert the composite signal for the switched connection to the BR TV.
ALternatively, if you wish to replace the BR TV with an LCD, you can add a DVD in the bedroom. (search for bedroom TV on the forum for an example)

--For sound, connect the audio output (RCA jacks) of the TV to the sound system. You should have TV sound and coach speaker sound at your option.

Should you add satellite at a later date, this system will service it.

Hope this helps....
Old 04-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #11

If I understand your requirements correctly, you would like to have the simplest possible setup to watch TV off-air or cable and movies off DVD, with the possibility of a satellite connection in the future.

Give these specs, I recommend that you scrap the current separate TV, audio system and tuner. Replace all that complicated stuff with a new LCD HDTV with built-in speakers and built-in digital tuner. By doing this, you eliminate the need for a separate box for audio and TV tuning that really complicates the current up-front entertainment system. You will be able to control this arrangement much like you can the bedroom TV.

I only recommend this arrangement for someone that doesn't really need the fancy sound system that comes with the new coaches.

If you would like to have more detailed specs, let me know.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #12

Thanks for all your replies. Dale Dowdy, you understand our wants completely. Getting a "real" tv was what we decided to do, but first I called Phil Matoon. He says our LG is a real tv with tuner, etc.--not just a monitor. They put these in a few coaches. It is not a high definition tv, though. He said on the LG's, if it's surrounded by silver color,it is a tv;if it's surrounded by black, it is a monitor.

Now that we know it is a real LG tv, we are less inclinded to scrap it. Phil is looking for the Sony DVD system for us and another person who called today about theirs. Phil tried to help us find he speaker hookups, but we couldn't identify them. He suggested buying amplifiers at Radio Shack, but the salesman didn't have a clue,and neither did we.

We are going to start heading toward home tomorrow, so will be putting the tv on hold until next week.

Dale Gerstel has been so kind to help us, also. Between the two Dales and you other kind folks,we should get sorted out.

Beverly and Buddy
06 36'

By the way,our coach came off production April 14, 2005. Our TV was made Dec. '04. If some of you have a coach made about the same time, you may have a tv instead of a monitor, also.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #13

Beverly & Buddy,

Although you say you have a "real" TV, you need to find out if it has the "digital" tuner built-in. A "digital" tuner is required to receive off-air digital broadcasts that will become the only off-air available after 2/17/2009. After that date, analog broadcasts off-air will cease to exist.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #14

Beverly & Buddy,

See this link for good info about analog versus digital off-air TV broadcasts:

The digital TV transition