Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #1

Looks like I'm not thru having to ask for help from the good people of this forum. Today, I noticed our windshield is cracked on the driver's side (from a rock from the lawnmower). Can anybody provide the number of where to get windshields?

Thanks.

Beverly and Buddy
36' '06 FDDS
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #2

Looks like I'm not thru having to ask for help from the good people of this forum. Today, I noticed our windshield is cracked on the driver's side (from a rock from the lawnmower). Can anybody provide the number of where to get windshields?

Thanks.

Beverly and Buddy
36' '06 FDDS
Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

Before using the joint noted in FMCA magazine, I'd get quotes from some local auto glass outfits. When we replaced our DS windshield, quote from Coach Glass was around $1300. They subcontract installation to somebody local. If you do the investigation to find your local shop, you will likely save hundreds.
Coach Glass or their affiliate may supply the local shop w/the glass, but you'll save their markup for doing the arranging you can do yourself.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
hax

Buddy and Beverly: I just had mine replaced and I got the winshield through Duncan Glass. (1-800-551-9149) I've got to get their phone number out of my coach. They had an installer come out and replace it in our yard.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:48 AM   #5

Just had mine replaced last month. Two year old rock chip suddenly cracked while standing still.

Progressive insurance uses Duncan also. Sent out a private contractor. Did an OK job, but does not look as nice as the original. Windshield fit and glue (urethane) lines not "clean". Installer does not like glue in windshields.

Ken
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #6

Many thanks for these quick replies. I have contacted a local glass place; they are using Duncan Glass (a rep. from DG called me for the make of our MH). They will come here to the house to do the job.

I want to again state what a good forumn this is. When I discovered the crack yesterday, I was a bit heartsick, as we are to take the Alpine in three weeks to Florida for the trade. With WRV out, I wondered if we needed a "special" glass that may be hard to track down.

As we have "traded on paper," I wondered if someone would respond on the forumn. My fears were unfounded! I was able to go to bed last night and sleep better knowing how to proceed, and that it should be no problem getting a replacement for the windshield.

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #7

We had a long crack on the passenger side of our '05 (rock chip during a trip to Louisiana...) that we had fixed at Uhlmann's RV when we traded it for the '07. They used a local shop to do the work and we actually got a bit of money back from our $1000 deductible.
Char

2007 Alpine Coach 36 FDTS
rurallady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #8

Rurallady,

One of the good things about insurance in SC (we pay more for the coverage, I'm sure), but SC law states that insurance for windshield breakage is mandatory. There is no deductible involved. Unfortunately, we have had two auto windshields replaced an the windshield on our '03 Tradewinds, all at no outlay of money at the time (yes, I know there is no free lunch--we paid in our premiums).

Beverly
Old 06-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
hf

Solo Rvers Club
whom ever you chose be sure they realize Alpine windshields are part of the structure un like most RVs where then windshield "floats" inside a rubber seal. it usualy not a problem if replacing only one BUT if replacing two they must be done one at a time
Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Beverly! We had a great visit and lunch with you and Buddy Saturday - Thanks again!!!

When we had our windshield replaced in Jan, Duncan did it for Progressive and we had to pay $750 and our deductible went back up to $1000 with Progressive. I wish we had just handled it ourselves with Duncan. We were very pleased with the workmanship but can you believe 1 week later we took off for AZ and within 2 hours on the road we got a chip in it from a rock thrown up by passing truck! But we called the GlassWeld people that came out and epoxied the chip to keep it from cracking.

If Duncan hasn't done it yet - you might call Lazy Days and ask them if they want you to get it replaced or if they want to do it!

We are having a great time in DC but it is HOT! Altho it has cooled off a little since we got here.

Carolyn
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #11

Carolyn and Tris,

We, too, had a great visit and are so glad you came!

I thought about calling Lazy Days, but thought I might get into a hassle about our insurance up here not wanting to pay for it, and we might be out some money. Also thought Lazy Days might want to knock off the replacement cost from our trade, and that could get confusing.

Wasn't sure our insurance would reimburse us for something like that. We have our insurance with State Auto along with our other vehicles. When I was shopping for companies, their price was competitive, though it doesn't have "new replacement" clause in case it is totaled--decided it wasn't worth the extra money. With that clause, all the companies I checked with were higher.

Beverly
Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
TGF

Had mine REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY BEFORE i TRADED FOR OUR DYNASTY. I CAN DIG A BIT TO FIND OUT MORE IF YOU WOULD LIKE>TGF
TGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #13

Thanks TGF,

Duncan Glass came out to look at the motor home, and they do not want to replace the windshield. There is a crack in the fiberglass above the center bar. They were afraid they did not have the expertise to take out the glass without making the crack worse. I have called Lazy Days and told them the whole story. They said to send them my ins. claim number and bring it on--that they would take care of it.

Beverly
Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Mine has a crack in the same location. What gives? Anyone?