Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Need New Tires, Which are BEST?

2005 Alpine Coach, 36' FDDS
I am going to need new tires as mine are now 10 years old. I am looking for advice from fellow Alpine owners as to which tires they believe to be the BEST and why they believe that. Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

Wow...that's like asking what car is best, which motor is best, what oil is best.

I think it depends on the application and personal preferences. I'm partial to Toyo tires from my RV based on experience and references from a friend who managed a fleet of over-the-road and logging trucks. He thought they returned the best bang for the buck when he analyzed performance for the task and durability.

I've found them to be cost competitive and haven't experienced any trouble with them. I've purchased two sets and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

BTW - Western RV must've thought the same as they were the OEM supplier for my coach in 2003.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have purchased three sets of Michelin XRV and had zero problems with them.

Last set via bought via the FMCA Michelin program.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Koop said, best is in the eye of the beholder. I put on Sailun tires because they were cost effective and had an all terrain tread pattern. I wanted that because we do a lot of boondocking and paved roads are not part of that equation.

So go with the tread pattern you like, a price you can afford, and a tire brand that has been around for a while.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #5

I shopped around two years ago and found Michelin's at $4200.00. Toyo's at $3400.00. I've always found Michelin to be a great tire.
But, my coach came with Toyo's so that's what I bought.
The Toyo's are 16 ply. The Michelin's were 14 ply. I would guess that Michelin makes a 16 ply tire?
I bought from Less schwab. They spun balanced all 6 tires.
One thing though, I lost a front hub cap right after the install. They must be installed vary carefully.
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
I don't own an Alpine, but if I got 10 years service on my tires, I would buy the exact same brand that I already had.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trailer tires, car tires, truck tires and RV tires are all different. EACH have individual needs and requirements. Truck tires have stiffer side walls giving a harder ride than RV tires. Co$t, ride, born date, how many miles you drive a year, and how well you care for your tires are all factors in what you select.
For my motorhome I like the ride and grip of the road of Michelin XRV.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We put continental tires on ours this time and they are a 16 ply tire and also ride great! My father law owns a sod and logging company and all he runs on his trucks is the continental tire and has never had a blow out or any other problems with the brand. I researched the tires before i spent 4000 and am glad i bought this brand.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I don't own an Alpine but have bought new tires for the 5 coaches I've owned in the last 5 years.

I'm a big advocate of buying a proven tire without paying through the nose for name. I don't believe in buying a Ferrari when a Cadillac will do.

I have put Toyo M154 -16 ply - All Position tires on several coaches with great success in steering, handling and ride. In my research on tire issues, I couldn't find any that had as few negatives as the Toyo's. Price averaged around $3200 installed out the door.

On my most recent coach, I couldn't get Toyos anywhere close enough to where I bought the coach and opted for the Hancook AH12's. These were also a 16 ply All Position tire. They have performed well with no issues in the several 1000 miles I have put on them. They handle and ride well. Cost for these installed out the door was $2600.

Personally, I stay away from the cheaper mainstream trucking tires such as Sailun, Double Coin and the like. Not that I have any experience to say anything derogatory, just a preference to stay with certain brands known for their quality and performance.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #10

There is no national system for measuring tire safety, so we have to rely on the DOT guidelines (which all 22.5 tire manufacturers follow)

My opinion is that measuring tire brands can only be done on price and looks; not on wear or safety. Since many/most MH tires are not connected to and protected by TPMS, failures due to under-inflation can't be quantified.

If you follow this line of thinking, then the "Best" tire looks good and is inexpensive (while having the same characteristics as other brands).

I got a full set of Samsons delivered for $1500, M&B for another $360. That was 4500 miles ago and no complaints. They are all monitored by a TPMS system.

Your results may differ.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

My coach 2006FDDS came with Toyos and I had great service with no tire problems for 8 years. I replaced the 4 rear tires with Bridgestones ($2518)--the fronts were already replaced with Bridgestones due to excessive edge wear on the OEM Toyos.

sdcyclist
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have purchased three sets of Michelin XRV and had zero problems with them.

Last set via bought via the FMCA Michelin program.
XRV are not available in a size that fits the Alpine. I have Yokohama 103ZR but any named brand tire will work.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
TJ,
If you want the best ride I would go for Michelin it can't be beat. I took off Toyo (OE) at 7 years and installed Bridgestone R260. Last year I removed those got $100 in trade per tire and installed BFG. The ride is better and expansion cracks are quieter. However every time old tires are replaced the ride is always better. Just be sure the size is the same, the ply is the same or higher.......but a heavier ply WILL NOT allow you to reduce PSI, and weigh the four corners if the coach.
PM me if you want more info.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #14

TJ, Tom has not steered me wrong on tires yet! I got Michelin's myself.

And if nobody already told you, get those 10 year old tires off of there ASAP. (Obviously you are trying to do that.)

Tags
tires