Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Need Part Number for Differential

We are currently at Freightliner in Roberts, WI and it has been determined that we need a differential. They are having trouble finding a part Number. We believe it is an Arvin-Meritor but can't get any numbers to match up. Does anyone have the part number of the differential itself? Have talked to Engineer Mike and Chris Cratch so far. Thanks for your help.

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

I assume you have a Freightliner chassis? If so call to the Freightliner help line at 800-385-4357 with your serial number will get the complete parts breakdown. They'll even be able to give you the serial number of your present axle. With the part number, manufacturer, and serial number your repair guys should be able to order any parts you need.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #3

When I got mine I think there was a part numbers on paper tag that did not look too permanant, so I wrote them down.

Arvin Meritor
Part Number B62-3200S-1865-463
Serial Number NKE 06018278
Yoke number 16TYS32-86
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #4

Pigman- thanks, but its not a Freightliner.

Marca- this off my differential tag on the passenger side, facing the rear (had to scrub off the paint & dirt with brake cleaner, but tag is in great shape):
Arvin Meritor brand axle assembly,
Model RS19145NFBF285,
Part No. RS19145NFBF285 463 (stands for 4.63:1 gear ratio)
Serial No. NKA07009115 (this will vary by coach over time)

This squares w/the 2005 Sales brochure I have on my hard drive, which lists rear axle as Meritor® RS19145 rear axle w/quiet gearing and 4.63:1 gear ratio, standard for all coach lengths 34-40 feet.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks guys! Numbers are starting to match up nicely with our damaged tag numbers. Will be giving numbers to parts guy tomorrow although not much more can be done until Monday.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #6

Kraig's "part no" is the same as the casting# on the rear face of my 3rd member housing. I'm sure the 463 is again the 4.63:1 gear ratio.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The mechanics will know this but ask anyway, what kind of fluid goes into this assembly, the old type oil, or the new synthetic type of rear end lubricant? I believe that all manufactures have been using the synthetic fluid for a while now, as my buddy's 02 Monaco has it in his. What drain/flush/refill interval are we using, is it age, or miles or both?
I think the ACA Tech Library has brochures/manuals on these assemblies, at least it seems I downloaded them from there.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #8

I did check with Arvin Meritor. The oil for the rear end is 80-90 GL5 and it takes 16 quarts. Takes the same oil for the front hubs. On mine I wanted to flush it out so I changed it @ 12,000 miles and ran it for awhile. Then I changed again and put in synthetic in the rear end and front hubs. In a motor home with a few miles that gets put on it, if you change it once I would think it should be good for along time before the next oil change.
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

There are many good synthetic oils brands. The synthetic I used was Petro Canada Traxon E synthetic 75W-90. Meets API GL-5, MT-1 requirements, approved for Meritor. I got it at Star-Oilco off Vancouver Way. 503-283-1253.
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Just wanted to give you a quick update: After finding metal particles in the gear oil, the differential was removed along with the complete rear axle assembly. The mechanics determined that it was easier and definitely faster to remove everything and slide it out the side than it was to wrestle it over the large bar in the back that goes from one side of the motorhome to the other. After removal, damage could be seen on gears, etc. Then the Good Sam CSP Warranty company requested Freightliner to disassemble the rest to see exactly what internal part failed. That was done late Tuesday or early this morning and it has been determined the pinion bearing race gave way and started to disintegrate. Now CSP is sending an inspector tomorrow morning to review/verify the failure. Early this morning the entire differential assembly replacement part arrived at the shop from Grand Rapids, MI. They are prepared to install the entire shebang (technical term coined by Marca) as soon as given the go ahead by CSP.

The part was difficult to locate due to the Quiet Gear feature. They had one locally but it was a regular differential w/o Quiet Gear. We couldn't determine what the difference was so elected to stay with the original Quiet Gear one since we didn't want it sounding like a cement truck. Then there was a delay in counting the splines before it could be ordered which required removal of something else. I know that I still owe IRV2 part numbers, etc. and will keep working on that along the way. Again, thanks to all of you helping with part numbers the entire process was definitely expedited until the warranty company involvement. Still trying to make Calgary although we have definitely missed the pre-rally. What a bummer.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

Glad to hear that there is progress, and that the problem is solvable. Thanks in advance for the part#'s when you get the final paperwork & some time to publish same.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Hi All,
Here is the additional information promised regarding differential part numbers, etc. The following information was gathered to help locate the part that was needed.
1) Our tag was damaged but Freightliner mechanic was able to document Arvin Meritor (??? 05027874 and A3121R2332.
2) Cris Cratch's motorhome housing (same year and model as ours) was Arvin Meritor NKA05026118.
3) Engineer Mike's motorhome (2008) from differential tag on Passenger Side facing rear - Arvin Meritor brand axle assembly Model RS19145NFBF285, Part No. RS19145NFBF285 463 (stands for 4.63:1 gear ratio), Serial No. NKA07009115 (this will vary by coach over time).
4) Engineer Mike found that 2005 and 2006 Alpine Sales Brochures confirm rear axle as Meritor RS19145 rear axle w/quiet gearing and 4.63:1 gear ratio standard for all coach lengths 34-40 feet. Marca's brochures also confirmed this.
5) Kraig motorhome (2007 Apex 425 HP) was Arvin Meritor, Part Number B62-3200S-1865-463, Serial Number NKE06018278, Yoke #16TYS382-86.
6) Talked to Mike at Redlands Truck in California who is familiar with Alpines and he said if they were faced w/repairing they would order unit from Jasper in Indiana at 800-827-7465.

Following is the information from our repair bill. The old part number from our original differential was NKA06008510 (just noticed this didn't agree with what first mechanic told us above) oh well. There are 39 splines on the axles and differential requires synthetic 75/90 gear oil. The gear ratio was 4.63:1 and the Quiet Gearing was important. The replacement part number was 524657-WEL RR17145463. Finding the Quiet Gearing was difficult but it was located in Grand Rapids, MI and shipped to Roberts, WI. The original differential core was then returned to the rebuild shop (Weller, I think they said).

I hope this information will be of assistance. Again, a big thanks to all involved in assisting us. It is getting more and more difficult dealing with these repair shops regarding part numbers. It appears they aren't prepared to deal with informed owners like Alpiners from IRV2. One of our biggest battles was trying to convince the Parts Managers and Service Manager that we had a network of people armed with information to help them not hinder them. Probably an ego thing! The technicians doing the work in the repair shop were fantastic. Sorry we can't say the same thing for their management. Oops,
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #13

Unfortunately I'm sure, shops are regularly steered in wrong directions by know-it-alls, who then insist a) the shop should have know not to trust their bad leads and b) the time chasing those leads should be taken off the bill.

Thanks Marca for the wrap up.
FWIW, I'd make the oil spec 75/90 synthetic hypoid gear oil. Not sure if the oil spec was the complete problem, but I once used regular gear oil instead of hypoid type, and the hypoid gears blew up. Twas frustrating.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #14

Here's a question. How did it go with the Good Sams warranty?