Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Need some advice on a 2005 Alpine

So someone local is getting rid of their Alpine that will need work. So looking to see how costly these issues could be.

Seller states it's 2005 Alpine coach 38FD 400hp isc Cummings and has the following issues:

Cluster has no power but the odo works

Switch from Chassis to generator does not work so unknown how the generator is

Needs new inverter possibily

Leveling Box does not work needs new one or rebuilt

Will need to tires and batteries

New flooring front to rear needs one Captains chair upfront and furniture.

Engine and Tranny runs perfect.

Any suggestions or should I stay FAR AWAY with the known issues. Price wise we are talking around the $20,000 Range it wouldn't be ANYMORE than that.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanefam View Post
So someone local is getting rid of their Alpine that will need work. So looking to see how costly these issues could be.

Seller states it's 2005 Alpine coach 38FD 400hp isc Cummings and has the following issues:

Any suggestions or should I stay FAR AWAY with the known issues. Price wise we are talking around the $20,000 Range it wouldn't be ANYMORE than that.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
The price sounds reasonable for that condition (as stated). If the drivetrain is in good shape the rest of those things are likely upgrades from the original anyhow.

That floorplan was not one of WRVs most popular as it was the only one with the kitchen on the curbside.....this is debatable of course.

Knowing what I know now as long as the drivetrain was solid and I could buy it for ~$20K I don't know how you could get hurt......especially if you are at all handy yourself.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

What do you all think?

Thanks.
$20k sounds like a square deal if your mechanically inclined to do most of the work yourself. 400hp is a desireable bonus. Even if you put another $20k into it you'll be ok from a reselling standpoint. Like any RV, they ALL require work and continual maintenance, even brand new $500k units.
If it checks out mechanically and cosmetically you have great bones to work with. Alpines handle as well (if not better than most) as any new coach on the market.
If you plan on having needed repairs done by an RV repair facility run the other way. Lots of great information on the Alpine owners forum here. If your handy buy it. Everyone on this forum has likely addressed any issue you may possibly encounter.
Good Luck
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:

What do you all think?

Thanks.
The engine is an ISL.

Cluster? Dash gauges? Silver leaf or other options could be added to monitor these functions. There are some threads on this. I don’t believe there is an OEM replacement or repair available.

Transfer switch. $150

Inverter. $1500

Leveling box? HWH? Can’t run the jacks? Any hydraulic issues?

Tires. $3000

Batteries. Chassis $300. House $1000.

Captains chair and furniture. We just spent $2600 on a new Flexsteel EZ-bed sofa.

Any maintenance records? How are the shocks? Any signs of water damage? Stored outside? Windows fogged?

Sounds like it hasn’t been loved. I’d run.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It sounds like this has suffered a electrical spike, from a lightning strike, or someone plugging into a 220V drier plug!
Or it could be something as simple as a fuse or relay?
I would keep looking, even though the 20K price is tantalizing, you could be buying a never-ending money pit! JMHO! Rail!
PS, is this seller the one that has owned this same coach for along time, or someone that bought it with the intention of flipping it?
Old 01-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Can it even be test driven in its current condition to confirm the state of engine and transmission? How was it stored and is the paint still OK? If the exterior is trashed I would forget it. There are likely still many unknown issues you will run into.

This one is going to need a special buyer that has the DIY ability, facilities and cash to restore the coach. After the coach is restored it may be worth $60-$70K. I can see at least $15k in parts and with $20K purchase price that leaves around $30k to pay for your labor and risk.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Or..................it could be something simple like needing a new/re-programmed Vansco!!

It's amazing how many things are controlled or simply affected by the Vansco.....just saying
Old 01-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #8

You have been given a lot of good advice. As far as the generator, there is a start switch on the generator itself, so you can run it.

I would pay to have a professional look it over. It could turn out to be a great deal for you.

Even tho my signature shows we own a Phaeton, I owned my Alpine for 15 years.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Or..................it could be something simple like needing a new/re-programmed Vansco!!

It's amazing how many things are controlled or simply affected by the Vansco.....just saying
What items on the OP’s list are controlled or affected by the VMM?
Old 01-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
What items on the OP’s list are controlled or affected by the VMM?
More than most people think

The better question is: Which of those items would absolutely work without a Vansco Installed
Old 01-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
More than most people think

The better question is: Which of those items would absolutely work without a Vansco Installed
I’m reasonably certain that replacing a bad VMM won’t make the tires new, the batteries new or replace the missing furniture.

Perhaps the question would have been easier to answer had it been multiple choice.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #12

My concern would be the instrument cluster which likely is not the Vansco but rather the electronic box that translates the data from the engine/trans into readable signals for the instruments, Actia, to be exact. I don't recall the name of the box, but it is no longer available and unknown if repairable. If that is the issue, I would research if the issue can be resolved, maybe with a salvage part. There was a thread about this, but I can't find it. Having an Alpine and loving it, this instrument problem would make me change my mind, regardless of the price, if it was too difficult to fix.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #13

"104/brakes"
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
"104/brakes"

And your point is...

Alpine had some caliper issues on early coaches but changes were made and the 2005 year, that is of interest, has no special concerns. Some have commented about the size of the master cylinder and the resulting pressure needed to brake the vehicle, but that's personal preference. My 2004 is OEM and I find it as easy to break as a large van. Yes, different feel than air brakes but not an issue of concern, IMO.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice