Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Need your expert opinion on a 1999 Alpine 36FDS

My wife and I are looking to get into the Class A hobby I have always liked the Alpine coaches even tried to get my in laws to buy one but they opted to go to 5th Wheel. During my searches came across a 1999 Alpine 36FDS with approx 74000 miles. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but what can all you pros tell me about this coach. Are there things that I need to look for? This would be a HUGE step for us since right now we currently pull a 24' Toy Hauler.

So please all pros and cons!

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

I have a 1999 Alpine 36MDS. When I purchased it 10 years ago, I made a list of all the things I wanted to test and then went through the list with the former owner before I purchased it. I found several things needing repair that the owner claimed he was not aware of. This helped me negotiate a better price. I can't find the list, but many of the items came from this list: http://pages.infinit.net/jypiche/Pre..._Checklist.pdf.

This thread Trading up on a similar topic may also be helpful.

Good Luck, Dave

Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Someone with more knowledge than I may jump in here but my very trusted chassis mechanic has mentioned in the past that he had a very hard time finding parts for an Alpine chassis, as many of the parts were specific to Alpine and no longer made. Just my two cents. I'm quoting him and just thought it was worth considering or investigating before you jump in.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Well bad news the coach sold:(

Where is the best place to keep an eye out for Alpines for sale besides the normal Craigslist and RV trader ads.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #5

I am curious--what chassis parts were hard to find??? Bottom line: try finding parts for anyting that is 12-13 years old. If you are concerned about parts, spend lots more money and buy newer but good luck on that one too as manufactures rarely stock parts for more than a year or two, if that.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
To my knowledge, all chassis parts for Alpine Coaches are available. Just check out this forum if in doubt and you will find the answers. This forum is the most helpful and useful resource we Alpine owners have and is a treasure trove of information about all items for all years. Regarding where to find Alpine coaches for sale, do a google search and you will find several. Also, check the "Classifieds" on the IRV2 site. They appear there from time to time. Also, if you let us know about how much you want to spend, there may be an Alpine owner who may be interested is selling. Even though we LOVE our coaches, circumstances change and they do come available from time to time. Good luck with your search and don't be afraid of "obsolescence" if considering an Alpine Coach.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanefam View Post
Well bad news the coach sold:(

Where is the best place to keep an eye out for Alpines for sale besides the normal Craigslist and RV trader ads.
If you are looking for a particular brand and model you can't limit your search to your local area. You need to be prepared to go where one may be located that is for sale. Here are some listings from a Bing search. Good luck.

1999 Alpine 36FDS - Bing
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
How much is a good question but the one that sold was 35k and I was all over that and it was local. I can go more but it would have to be local as I would have to trade something in to cover the difference but max of 50 ish.

Does that help?
Old 06-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Someone with more knowledge than I may jump in here but my very trusted chassis mechanic has mentioned in the past that he had a very hard time finding parts for an Alpine chassis, as many of the parts were specific to Alpine and no longer made. Just my two cents. I'm quoting him and just thought it was worth considering or investigating before you jump in.
Only parts that might be hard to find IMO would be a chassis rail, but if you bent a rail you got bigger problems. All other parts are truck parts, like any other MH. Alpines are put together with Huck bolts like class 8 trucks and rail cars, no welding on this chassis. Even the outriggers (from the chassis rail to the outside edge of the MH are bolted and of very heavy metal. On some chassis's these outriggers are braced with a correlated sheet metal. The chassis can't be beat except maybe by the Tiffin Power Glide chassis, which by the way was designed by the same person who designed the Peak(Alpine) chassis.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #10

Another part that is hard to find is the hydraulic fan motor that was on the earlier models. The OEM part is no longer made. Other than new seals, it can't even be rebuilt. Fortunately, new seals fixed mine. Not sure what I could have done if the motor had to be replaced.

Also, I'm not sure extremely low mileage on an old vehicle is a good thing. Many components suffer from lack of use, especially seals and other moving parts.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Contact me via personal message, I know two Alpine coaches for sale. One is a 36 and the other is a 36 or 38. Both covered storage all the time, one only has 13K miles and the other has 6K miles.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I know of a 2000 40ft Alpine for sale in So Cal. If you PM me I can provide you with their info.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
There are a few in the FMCA magazine.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #14

Don't sweat the parts availability...it's no worse than any older RV. Most have parts made by the same manufacturers in many cases....its' the interior and shell designs that are noticeably different. Interior appliances are no problem.... Brakes, transmission,engine etc...are usually easily located truck parts.

....and I was in the Service/Repair business 35 (+) years.