Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #15

SRFox--seem to remember that I had to swap out and modify the new unit board to talk to the older unit--but could be the reverse.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrFox View Post
We had reason to replace one of our a/c dometic units last year as well and ran into the same problem. Dometic said we had to also replace the thermostat to control the new unit and they could sell us a new control board for the old a/c. Once I priced it out and calculated the potential hassles, I decided to change both a/c units. That went smooth as silk and I used all the existing wiring but did have to drill new holes for the mounting bolts.
No doubt..all it took was $$$$...and modifying the mounting holes...lol!

I really don't NEED new a/c's but the 15K units were on sale for $499 so I thought, what the heck. I'll just drop a new one in the old hole before we head out this year.

It never occurred to me that I'd have to replace the whole system....!!!

Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #17

I have to assume you are talking $499 for A/C only, not heat pumps?????
PSS--also think your propane furnace is controlled thru the front unit and therefore uses the front remote temp sensor to drive the furnace---the "fun" never ends!!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Was thinking of suggesting that if the comm cable and stat issue were a problem but remember, unless you change brands, the Dometic units use separate/remote temp sensors [front and back] to gauge air temp. Your thermostat is just a "dumb" control box on the wall....

Individual standard thermostats have their own temp sensor don't they?

I was thinking of setting up separate zone controls like a home.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
Individual standard thermostats have their own temp sensor don't they?

I was thinking of setting up separate zone controls like a home.
I think the issues you are referring to are the new dometic penguin incompatibilities. The short version is that the new dometics work with the NEW digital CCC thermostat but don't work with the older 5 button CCC thermostat UNLESS you change the board in the top unit. The top unit "adapter" board is about $95. With the adapter installed, the new top unit will communicate with the old 5 button CCC and also daisy chain to any older top units. In other words, a new top unit plus adapter will behave like an old top unit.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #20

I started out finding a deal too but it was too good to be true. Get all the numbers off the old ac you want to replace and call Dometic and they will tell you what model number you must replace it with. Of course that one was not on sale. :(
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
I have to assume you are talking $499 for A/C only, not heat pumps?????
PSS--also think your propane furnace is controlled thru the front unit and therefore uses the front remote temp sensor to drive the furnace---the "fun" never ends!!!!
Yes I was...although the heat pump units are on sale too.

My heat pumps never impressed me much...doubt I 'll go back to them. If I'm cold , I'm cold..lol. ...and the furnace will put an end to that quickly.

My heat pumps might make a difference to a warm blooded person...but I would freeze waiting for one to make much of a difference. So its' a light jacket/coat, breakfast, and out the door a half hour later...

I'm up early hunting , fishing or whatever....way before my heat pumps would make a hoot.

Now the FURNACE...is an issue too!! Dometic just got on my un-favorite smelly stuff list...LOL!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
I started out finding a deal too but it was too good to be true. Get all the numbers off the old ac you want to replace and call Dometic and they will tell you what model number you must replace it with. Of course that one was not on sale. :(
I'll settle for "not on sale" in a heart beat...if all I have to do is take one off put one back, AS IS.

This is a crock having to redo the whole thing.

I have a call into PPL's best a/c parts man. He is going to call me Monday...after he speaks with a personal contact he has at Dometic.

I should have a few more answers then..if there is any additional info other than what we have been discussing here.

I will post the answers I get (if any) Monday.

Thanks everyone...
Old 04-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #23

Our heat pump works great on our new unit. Rarely if ever have to run the furnace.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Our heat pump works great on our new unit. Rarely if ever have to run the furnace.
Where are you located?
Old 04-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #25

I agree--the heat pump side of my Dometic 13.5ks work great--down to the mid to low 40s outside air temps. Having said that--if your A/C side isnt keeping the coach cool in the summer; it stands to reason that the heat pump side wont keep you warm in the winter--same process, just reverses the flow of 134a......
Old 04-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #26

Well my a/c's work pretty well till REAL hot weather ... maybe 98/100 degrees. Then a 15k unit should be a welcome improvement.

If yours works good in Garden Ridge, Texas...mine should work well too(Ft.Worth).

Maybe I should reconsider. It would be nice to be more miserly with propane.

This is off topic...but shouldn't I be getting an email when someone post on this thread. ??

I have to check back often...because the forum never lets me know if there have been any new post made.

I thought it used to notify us??
Old 04-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... I'm under an impression from reading previous posts and talking to other owners who have experienced this situation that a new A/C unit can replace an older A/C unit by retaining the old control board. Using the old control board maintains compatibility with the existing thermostat & 2nd A/C unit. Not true?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #28

Bob, according to the tech at PPL, I had to buy a separate board and modify it so the new unit would work with the old unit [as I recall, mod included changing location of temp sensor, changing jumpers, and clipping wires]. Have the brd from the new unit in storage pending the day I have to replace the old unit......Dont know whether modified brd was needed for compatibility with the old unit, the old 5-button thermostat or both. All I know is the mod brd worked and I have two well-functioning heat pumps and a furnace, running off my old thermostat.

Tags
thermostat