Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
New (and different) HWH Problem

This started two days ago while attempting to level. I had a severe left to right slope accross the back of the coach. The DS rear wheel was 3 inches off the ground so decided to start over and ramp that wheel. When I reengaged the leveling system the DS rear jack would not drop. I tried both automatic and manuel, no go. So made due. The next morning I tried the chassis battery disconnect. Turned it off, wated a few seconds, the back on. Tried the leveling system. All the jacks worked. Yesterday, had the same problem with left to right slope, tried the auto leveling w/o ramping. Same result. Up go the jacks, ramp the DS rear, try leveling again, DS rear doesnt drop. Did the battery disconnect again. Tried leveling. It worked again. I'm presuming that that the disconnect resets the HWH "brain" but am not sure this is correct. So.. any ideas on why the leveling system is going awray in the first place? Is this a symptom of a bigger problem waiting to happen?

Thanks in advance for any help and insight on this problem.

'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #2

Not to be a smart -ss, but remember the story of the patient who complained to the doctor that his arm hurt when he lifted it over his shoulder? The doctor replied, "Well, then don't lift your arm over your shoulder!"

Sorry, but I don't have a serious answer.

Dale & Karin
2006 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDTS
Watercolor Artist: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Jeff, Download the HWH 625 series service manual. It is very helpful.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club

I had a similar problem in my prior 2001 Alpine. My problem was user error in that I wasn't waiting enough time to allow the HWH to reset after storing the jacks. I had to wait until all the lights went out on the HWH control panel except the travel light. When the cycle was complete I would hear a click in the system and then I could proceed with the second try.
John Neff
2005 34' Alpine
Anthem, AZ
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
My system used to level the coach, then keep raising the front of the coach all the way up. My problem was the connector on the jack. It came out, so the pressure reading never made it to the CPU, so the CPU kept raising the jack. Once I plugged it back in, it leveled fine from then on. I would check the plug on the jack that keeps going up.

Then I would look at the manual like Wayne suggested.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Jim's advive is a good starting point. According to the service manual, when the system goes into stabilize mode. All the jacks go down slightly until a set pressure at each Jack is reached. If a pressure switch at the jack was bad or disconnected it would raise until fully extended and the 3000 LB switch shut the system down.
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
This thread tells something interesting about HWH leveling logic. On my coach, the FR jack has a sensor or connector problem as Jim describes above. If the front is low, the computer jacks the front till the light goes out (controlled by level sensor) then proceeds w/other sides/end till level and all works automatically. If the rear is low, the computer starts there, then sides, then front- but the CPU watches the front sensors for back pressure from the jacks hitting ground and doesn't see it because of the bad sensor; it raises the front to its limit. "Level" controls till the CPU senses level, then when looking for simple planting of a jack, the sensor controls.
Could be a useful fact for diagnosis.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote