Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
In an unrelated note, Alpine36, that sofa looks really cool. Is it a new unit or a cover over the old one?

My delemma about replacing the factory sofa bed is that, other than being a little grubby and looking a little......old, it's not worn out. Its really high quality and comfortable.

I would hate to spend the money to replace if with something new, and find it to be less comfortable. I have shopped around and tried new sofa beds costing up to $4000 and my impression is always "yeah, that's ok, but it's not better than what we have now."
We considered reupholstering. The cost was about half the price of a new sofa, for a quality fabric or ultra leather, sewn by Flexsteel, and it was recommended that we replace the cushions as well. This would bring the cost up to nearly the price of a new sofa. The sofa was lightly used but still 15 years old and there were other elements we didn’t like about the sofa.

The replacement is a Flexsteel Boomer in ultra leather with a pull out drawer underneath. Cost for the sofa/ez-bed, drawer and shipping, with a 10% discount was ~$2600. I posted a photo on your “Old coach” thread. The arm rests are removable which creates a full length, flat bed that is 75” long. The arm rests are an ideal height for laid back TV viewing and we prefer the simple, straight, flat lines over the curves on the original.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 AM   #16

Thank you all for the great input.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #17

BCam, how did the peel and stick cover the mirrors? Did the slight bevel cause any issues?
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #18

Like your couch, ours is still functioning perfectly. While one end of the couch's cushions feel different, ie softer, it is still very comfortable. It just doesn't look as nice as we would like.

At DRR, I was given contact information for someone at Flexsteel who can assist with ordering new upholstery for your couch. I hope Barry doesn't mind my passing this information along.

FlexSteel
Lisa Bauer
563-585-8356

Barry told me they recommended he also order new cushion foam to remedy the difference in feel. He ordered a premium fabric to have his made. We plan to order Ultra Leather to best match the cockpit chairs.

I think he said the cost was ~$1200, but I may be remembering incorrectly. It may have been $1500.

The couch is on our list of things to update, but solar is a higher priority for us currently.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #19

Great option Hayduke!!!

Did Barry mention any removal /installation problems?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
BCam, how did the peel and stick cover the mirrors? Did the slight bevel cause any issues?
It's a much better product if you remove the mirrors. Simply use contact paper over the mirrors before prying them away from the wall and this will contain any pieces if they break.

We removed the mirror on 3 different walls and out of about 20 pieces of glass I think only 2 or 3 actually broke and was not an issue with the adhesive-backed contact paper in place.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Great option Hayduke!!!

Did Barry mention any removal /installation problems?
Have you ever recovered an auto seat? ie using hog ring pliers?
If so, you should be fine. He and I talked about it a bit. I've done seats before, ie hog ring pliers, so I am confident I can recover them myself.

It's not just a slip-on sort of task. You will be removing all the old upholstery afaik. He did say you can order heavy duty foam. I'm undecided on that option currently.

I will post pics when we finally get to that task, but it's not really at the top of the list currently.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote