Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Alpine Owners Club
Do you have the jacks down yet? You should get the jacks to level before trying any slides. I noticed my slides went out REAL slowly one tiime and then realized I hadn't leveled it yet (got ahead of myself).

If your coach is relatively level, you should atleast put some jacks down until the "Jacks Down" alarm comes on (engine on - as opposed to accessory). If the coach isn't pretty close to level, you're probably not going to get the slides to work correctly.

Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Wingding's coach is the same model and year as mine. My slides work just fine whether the jacks are down or not. What I do see is frame flex on the passengers slide when the jacks are down. This does not affect slide movement though. It is noticeable common to the 2 passenger side front cargo bay door gaps.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #17

I just had a major break through !!!

While extending the jacks [one of many times]
I left them down{again there is no pressure} but while in that "limp" position I began to extend the drivers side slide. It was again very slow and way more then the 55 seconds to a minute plus it was doing yesterday which was a improvement over the 4 minutes...
After it finally got to fully extended I kept the toggle on for the 30 seconds plus...... now all along while I constantly moved the slides on the driver side in and out the Pump/motor? is constantly spinning freely.. {without any force against it}

..Now all of a sudden..outta no where, the constant free spinning sound .. how do I explain it... you could hear something similar to a gripping force.Like if all of a sudden something was 'in gear"... {this is merely a explanation of sound as we know it was hydraulic oil rushing in a area where air had just occupied...

I had a friend over and I immediately turned to him and said .."THAT'S IT !!!! WE ARE IN BUSINESS"..."how much you want to bet the passenger sides and floor jacks all work now...
I hit the jack and immediately felt the wonderful lift !~
Passenger slide - "FLEW OUT" 15 seconds ..was quick! Same with everything else !!!
just a note to NORM... I did find those T handles on the inside wall. One was actually 2 plus turns loose.!!! I did shut it off ..made sure the rest were the same... I did not notice any difference last night after working the driver side slides and the passenger side slides were still not engaging at all..but who knows.. it might have been all part of the problem...
Another thing now that I remember correctly... When I went down to pick up the motorhome, they were repairing/ replacing a number of hydraulic lines... When I arrived they were just finishing up...
I got to wonder, because the motorhome came down from washington state to Arizona..... did they ever refill the reservoir after they replaced the broken lines ?????? because after they finished the last line i dont remember anyone filling it...
I am really wondering about that???
That place was under so much pressure... Limited tech's and a waiting line a mile long...
I eventually had them work on some impatient people over me as they had me hooked up and i was in no big hurry and wanted to learn as much as possible... hanging around that place was a big help for that!
Anyway, looks like im gonna be on my way in the next few days after I pack up! Peace to all, hope to see you down the road!!!!
Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Thanks for reporting your success. It seems the technician(s) did not complete the job. They left the T-handles open and did not purge the air and refill the fluid. You know more about HWH systems than anyone on the board and you can help others. Now get out there and put some miles on your motorhome.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
Where was it in WA State? I would be curious of the dealer, as ours did not know how to fix much. I fixed the door lock, and after they replaced the cook stove, I went over the work and fixed it better*. Regardless, prior to each trip, I check my HWH fluid level, and I carry 2 quarts spare fluid. I use the HWH brand, and it can be purchased at Camping World.

Closing the handle most likely speeded up the process as (if I understand if correctly) if forces the fluid through the solenoid valve, otherwise it flows through but does no work, however, I have not got the HWH system set in my head, so EM can give a better explanation. But I do understand the bleeding process, hope you checked your fluid level after every device was worked successfully.

Hope this keeps up and you can hit the road soon. Where you now and what are/is your destination? We are heading south soon.

*But beware, the front burner is the HO burner, and it gets the surrounding area so hot, including the knob, you might not be able to turn off that burner. So we choose not to use that one on High, only medium to low. Around the campfire, I will tell you the story about how we almost burned it down our first trip out.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #20
Alpine Owners Club

2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote