Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

We had our shocks replaced last week with the Koni FSD Shocks - front & rear. We went to RTS Truck & RV Performance Center in Redlands, Ca. (www.redlandstruckservice.com). We were very impressed with owners, Keith and Karen. The shop was clean and the staff knew what they were doing. Keith worked with us every step of the way. While we were at it had the front axle aligned and adjusted.
We noticed a big difference in the ride as soon as we were on I-10 heading home! (wow, but that is one rough highway!) Really smoothed out the ride.
We also had the "Cat's Eye" Tire Monitor system installed - we'll see how that performs. All in all we recommend RTS whole hearted.
Even though the facility is not huge, they have ample parking for the big motorhomes.

One thing that really impressed Chuck was they were working on another rig and kept working until they were had the problem solved and the customer was happy. Just because it was 5 pm on Friday they didn't stop but kept at it until everyone was happy. A lot of shops would have just stopped and finished up on Monday, not Keith! Thanks guys!

Donna

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #2

We had our shocks replaced last week with the Koni FSD Shocks - front & rear. We went to RTS Truck & RV Performance Center in Redlands, Ca. (www.redlandstruckservice.com). We were very impressed with owners, Keith and Karen. The shop was clean and the staff knew what they were doing. Keith worked with us every step of the way. While we were at it had the front axle aligned and adjusted.
We noticed a big difference in the ride as soon as we were on I-10 heading home! (wow, but that is one rough highway!) Really smoothed out the ride.
We also had the "Cat's Eye" Tire Monitor system installed - we'll see how that performs. All in all we recommend RTS whole hearted.
Even though the facility is not huge, they have ample parking for the big motorhomes.

One thing that really impressed Chuck was they were working on another rig and kept working until they were had the problem solved and the customer was happy. Just because it was 5 pm on Friday they didn't stop but kept at it until everyone was happy. A lot of shops would have just stopped and finished up on Monday, not Keith! Thanks guys!

Donna

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Old 09-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #3

Hi Chuck & Donna
I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my coach and was wondering what the difference in ride might be. I have had my coach's front end aligned at a truck frame place before, but I still get a slight pull to the right and would like to get that resolved. How do you like the Cats Eye Tire Monitor?
Jim & Viv
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #4

Jim & Viv - The ride seems smoother, not so much bounce.
The best thing to do would be call Keith and talk with him (888-249-0124). I'm sure he can help you, as that would be right up his "alley" so to speak.

As for the Cat's Eye - we'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it does what it's supposed to do. So far so good.

PS - Chuck just said thing he likes about the Cat's Eye is now he can air up both tires at the same time - i.e. one valve to air both tires. Slick! The valve reads both tires. This is a web site I found. FYICats Eye
dj

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #5

Ordered Koni FSD's front & rear on the i'net and had them installed today. What a difference! The motivation was a rear Bilstein which suddenly broke apart while we had been parked for about 20 days. Sprayed hydraulic fluid all over the concrete on the private rental site we are on. What a mess and difficult to get out of the concrete. But, we're glad it happened 'cause the Koni's give a much better ride and handling. We're smiling again!

2002 35' Alpine FDDS
Towing lifted 99 Cherokee or
2005 Chrysler Town & Country
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #6

Hi Donna and Chuck !

Just read your post about the Koni FSD's and called Keith at RTS Truck & RV Performance Center in Redlands, CA and will be taking our 2003 Alpine Coach into them first part of Nov.

We are wrapping up our first year F/T national tour of the country and will be heading back west for winter soon.

Keith did mention that if we could get several people interested in getting these around the same time....all of us would get a discounted price as he would be able to order larger quantities and have them in stock to help us all. Maybe an idea too for Rally promo?

So if you are interested, give Keith a call toll free 1-888-249-0124 and set a time for first part of Nov. He'll need your coach model and year.

Eusefull
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #7

Hi Chuck & Donna
I also called Keith last night and will be making an appointment with him next week to get my front axle aligned and the Koni FSD shocks installed. Keith is also a certified Allison shop and is going to service my transmission while the coach is in his shop. I like the idea that he can do all the work in 1 day and I don't have to leave the coach over night. I'll check with you at the next rally and get an update on the Cats Eye system.
Jim & Vivian
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #8

Hi Jim..........We had RTS install Koni FSD front and rear about a month ago......extremely pleased with ride and handling. Very happy with RTS and there personnel.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #9

FWIW, we are now on the road w/our '08, and the difference in porpoising is substantial. The "old" '06 shocks were apparently well worn or shot. If you have a lifetime warranty on the Bilstiens and can trade the oldies in for "free," that will likely be worth it if your shocks are old.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #10

EM - FWIW (probably not much) my understanding is that the lifetime warranty on shocks are only for those purchased, not for the shocks that come with new coaches.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #11

E Mike, how about some quick opinions and comments on that gorgeous 08.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #12

Ted- See my thread called 2008 PDI Notes for a coupla impressions so far, and then a self-hijacking of the thread to other more general issues.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #13

EM, you said the 08' has less porposing. My 02' (68K miles) take about three cycles to dampen a bump. How does that compare to your new coach? Also, are there two (2) shocks in the front and two(2) in the rear?

Thanks

Bernie
02' Alpine
Pearland, TX
Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #14

EM.....Could the shorter chassis in 07/08 (242" vs 252") give you a different ride??? Just curious. The new FSD's really made a difference in our ride 04 36MDDS.

Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote