Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #1

Have throughly enjoyed reading the various postings on this forum. They were most helpful one and a half years ago when we were comparing different Coaches, with the Alpine winning out with over all the most value for the dollar.

My wife Julie and I absolutely love our forty footer, and have had almost zero problems with it. There were a few minor details after delivery that I adjusted myself, but over all, I can not complain. A couple of things I thought WRV could improve upon is: 1. Their General User Manual gets an "F". 2. The entertainment system cabeling setup was another non user friendly to operate. I never did figure why they were using the VCR as the Tuner for the HD TV. A setup that prevented HD reception from the satelite, and the DVD Progressive Playback. After a great deal of fustration, tore the whole mess out, spent about 600. on Componant Video cabels, now everything works like it should...... With only one remote controller

Have met a couple of fellow Alpine owners along the road, and we are a proud lot.

If any one would like to see some of my 'handy work', below is a link to a photo album of our coach. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Thanks for sharing

Walt
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #2

Have throughly enjoyed reading the various postings on this forum. They were most helpful one and a half years ago when we were comparing different Coaches, with the Alpine winning out with over all the most value for the dollar.

My wife Julie and I absolutely love our forty footer, and have had almost zero problems with it. There were a few minor details after delivery that I adjusted myself, but over all, I can not complain. A couple of things I thought WRV could improve upon is: 1. Their General User Manual gets an "F". 2. The entertainment system cabeling setup was another non user friendly to operate. I never did figure why they were using the VCR as the Tuner for the HD TV. A setup that prevented HD reception from the satelite, and the DVD Progressive Playback. After a great deal of fustration, tore the whole mess out, spent about 600. on Componant Video cabels, now everything works like it should...... With only one remote controller

Have met a couple of fellow Alpine owners along the road, and we are a proud lot.

If any one would like to see some of my 'handy work', below is a link to a photo album of our coach. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Thanks for sharing

Walt
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-12-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to IRV2, Walt.

I'm sure you'll find that this is a great place to share RV information amongst friendly folks. We're glad to have you aboard. Be sure to modify your signature to include some info about your coach so that we know more about you and also try to post a nice exterior picture of your Alpine as an avatar or in your signature so we can all enjoy it. Feel free to ask questions any time and share your experiences with us.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:16 AM   #4

Walt....

Love the work you have done to personalize your Alpine. Did you do the work yourself??? I am in the process of trying to figure out the best way to redo entertainment system in our Alpine.....pulled out system yesterday. Could you post how you revamped your system. I to do not understand why Alpine chose to go through VCR.

Walt, you should look into joining Alpine SoCal....great people, good rally's.

Mike
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #5

Great looking rig. I too have issues with the entertainment components but I am going to sort it out myself. I agree with you on the manual also. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Great work by the way. I've only had mine for a about 2 months so there is much to do, little at a time.

David
05 Alpine
Old 05-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockcj:
Great looking rig. I too have issues with the entertainment components but I am going to sort it out myself. I agree with you on the manual also. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Great work by the way. I've only had mine for a about 2 months so there is much to do, little at a time.

David
05 Alpine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, the fun part I have found is doing all the organizing, and fabrication. Now that I have pretty much done all I can to ours, I want to go get new one to do it all over again.

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike & Nancy:
Walt....

Love the work you have done to personalize your Alpine. Did you do the work yourself??? I am in the process of trying to figure out the best way to redo entertainment system in our Alpine.....pulled out system yesterday. Could you post how you revamped your system. I to do not understand why Alpine chose to go through VCR.

Walt, you should look into joining Alpine SoCal....great people, good rally's.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, yes I did all the work myself. The computer station was built in three sections ( file/printer, cpu, side bar ), the top in two. I had WRV send along with the coach an extra piece of the Koridan. Had never worker with this stuff before, a little difficult to laminate the edges in order to create the bullnose, but came out fine. Reminded me of when I was a kid working in Dale Velseys' surf board shop ( resins & fiberglass ) in Newport. Now, anyone that knows that name, goes back away.
Regarding Entertainment: Actually, I do know why WRV used the VCR as a Tuner ( the Plasma TV doesnt' have one ), but I totally disagree with how they set it up. They had the Video and audio feeds pigtailed into a single SVHS adapter going form the VCR to the plasma......... HUH? In order to get HD Reception you have to have three part Component video cable ( or DVI ), one part audio, going directly from the receiver to the TV. Same with utilizing the Progressive Playback feature of the DVD ( has to have Component Cabels ), could not believe the difference once I got it put back together. The HD and Progressive Playback is like comparing the old black/white TV to a plasma, or VCR to a DVD. In addition to the cables, you will need a Signal Modulator, and Component Video Distribution Block. It would be most difficult to list a complete installation on this froum, but would be most happy to walk you through it over the phone if you would drop me a number via email. Have ready pencils and paper, and I will help you lay out what goes from what to what.
Bottom Line: If WRV would have consulted on this matter, with anybody that knows anything, they would have told them, " this will now work " It is sweet to have one controller for TV, Satelite, VCR, and Home Entertainmant System... and be able to use the signal distribution block to send whatever signal to wherever you want.

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #8

My system is different but still have issues. What I have is Sharp HDTV, Hughes HD Satellite reciever and RCA Surround Sound Audio Component (DVD/CD/SAT/Radio/VCR). They faied to connect the audio line from the TV external input to the audio box. I only get the video on TV. I just spoke to Alpine confimred after faxing a diagram of what they didn't do. Also, I am not sure if I am getting HD through my TV. Alpine thinks it is the setup that needs to be configured. I need to check when I get home.

David
05 Alpine
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #9

My son-in-law does high end residential remodels in San Francisco area (~ 7 figure stuff min., for venture capitalists & the like), and constantly complains about the "AV pukes." They are "always late, never have the right stuff in their bid to make their own junk work (therefore price keeps meandering upward), have no interest in the finish work, and feel their job is done when the assembly works minimally (rather than to spec, much less to its potential)." E.g. if the touch-screens in every room (instead of light switches & thermostats & Muzak controls) rattle the home's central server, they are done, even though they left the frame of the screen on the floor or out in the hall, left the screen furred out 1/2" too much, & some of the features don't work.
I guess its the same in the motorhome biz.
Walt- You could post a scan of the schematic of your solution to Shutterfly as one way of diseminating the fix, maybe?
Mike
p.s. for Walt- I have basement envy.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EngineerMike:
My son-in-law does high end residential remodels in San Francisco area (~ 7 figure stuff min., for venture capitalists & the like), and constantly complains about the "AV pukes." They are "always late, never have the right stuff in their bid to make their own junk work (therefore price keeps meandering upward), have no interest in the finish work, and feel their job is done when the assembly works minimally (rather than to spec, much less to its potential)." E.g. if the touch-screens in every room (instead of light switches & thermostats & Muzak controls) rattle the home's central server, they are done, even though they left the frame of the screen on the floor or out in the hall, left the screen furred out 1/2" too much, & some of the features don't work.
I guess its the same in the motorhome biz.
Walt- You could post a scan of the schematic of your solution to Shutterfly as one way of diseminating the fix, maybe?
Mike
p.s. for Walt- I have basement envy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike: You are so right, seems that most manufacturers these days are happy enough to get the unit out the door, hoping for the most part that the customer ( like me ) will do the remainder of what they did not do before delivery. What they should consider is Quality Control on the manfacturering line is far less cost than the follow-up Warranty Work expense.
Thanx for you coment on my basement. In the driver side compartments, I have all the patio stuff, six table chairs, Colman Grill, carpet, three tables, ladder, etc. It is set up to where after the coach is parked and leveled..... I have camp organized in about 15 minutes.
I knew most of the 'guys ' would appreciate it. My wife Julie thinks I am anal, but woman in general do not understand why us men get excited about things like this.

Another thing not visible in the photos: I bought one of the cable lights that fits into the grove of the awning (from Camping World ), shortened it to exactly the width, and then let it roll up with the awning, not having to install everytime. Also, spliced off the Dryer 115v service, installed a water proof plug on the outside of the coach, up high where the horizonal arm is on the awning. Color matched the cover plate to the coach, and now do not have to run extension cords for patio lighting.

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #11

Walt, any chance you will coming thru Texas. Would love to meet you and find out how you did the TV etc. We have a 2004 38ft, looks a lot like your set up, our TV is the Panasonic, is your?

We are in Vegas now, headed back to Texas, via the Grand Canyon and Taos.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Walt:

I like what you have done to the Coach and I hope to see it at one of Alpine So Cal Rallies or at an ACA Rally.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #13

Cedar41:

You have exactly the same setup as our 04 40' and I am sure the same problems. After stopping by the dealer that sold us the unit a couple of times, even he (being very helpful), said after being on the phone with WRV for two hours.... it doesnt' make sense..... the DVD should work without lines running throught the screen....... the dealer gave up. And no, there is no way you will get HD reception the way they have it cabled. Not withstanding the Progressive DVD Playback that triples the lines of resolution on the plasma. Again, WRV got it to work, but to the capability of the components installed...... NO, another "F"
If I can figure out to post a schematic as ENGINEER Mike suggested...... I will do. Then for anyone that can benefit, I am happy to share and will be due a 'cold one' for the couple of grey hairs I pulled out before I came up with the set-up that worked

...... enjoy you trip back to Texas, born and raised there. I am a Native American by hertigage, but for the longest time when people would ask, knowing by obivous appearance, "what is your hertiage"?...... I would always reply "TEXAN"...... of course I always thought Texans were a known race of people........ or at least had "bragging rights"

Take Care,

Walt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cedar41:
Walt, any chance you will coming thru Texas. Would love to meet you and find out how you did the TV etc. We have a 2004 38ft, looks a lot like your set up, our TV is the Panasonic, is your?

We are in Vegas now, headed back to Texas, via the Grand Canyon and Taos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #14

Walt, you sound like a real car guy. Same here. Nice Hot Rod by the way. I am in Anaheim Hills. Maybe we can meet one day and share tech bits.
David
05 Alpine