Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

New owner 07 Alpine Coach 40FDQS with some questions

Hello everyone,

I posted in the Class A section regarding my father in law temporarily living in a nice older Class A DP RV while he builds a granny unit on our property. While narrowing down the search we were convinced the Fleetwood Providence 39V was the one until we came across the WRV Alpine Coach 40FDQS yesterday. Without even much research my DW and I decided this was the coach for my father-in-law and so we dropped a down payment.

Being an 07 I guess the two major things we need to address or check are the steering bracket and the radiator leaks. Are there any other major concerns we should look out for. The coach has currently just over 28k miles on it. The interior was near immaculate with only minor repairs needed. The outside was in decent shape too, with the exception of a couple of cracks on the lower rear concerns of both the bedroom slide out openings. They both started in the very corner of the opening and diagonally spread down about 3-4 in. It doesn't appear to be structural but possibly just paint cracking.

Other stuff is mostly minor with some paint flaking on the slides, but hopefully some touch up will do the trick. I already found the paint color codes from the WRV association website.

Is there anything we should look out for on the ISL Cummins?

One other question that is more ability related, but because it might be coach specific I hope someone here is able to give me some pointers...

My father in law is not the steadiest on his feet anymore and relies on his walker a bit more than he used to. Getting up the stairs will essentially be impossible but we saw a video with an outside gear driven lift that attaches with a swiveled chair that he could sit in lift up and swing into the coach at floor level. I have attempted numerous google searches but can't find a single place that sells what I am looking for. The ones I did find are platform lift where one would stand on top and get lifted up, but that only works on trailers/5th wheels where there is no internal steps.

This is essentially what I am looking for :

Thank you and can't wait to meet up with other WRV owners when they rally from WY to Hollister, CA in July for the Gilroy garlic festival.

-Reto
swsarmyknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

The video you posted is brought to us by Startrack Lifts. Their website seems like the place to get one.

2007's are well beyond the known WRV radiator problem and the ISL wrist pin issue. There have been several posts recently from owners of 2006 and newer coaches experiencing problems with smart bed hydraulics. Hydro-Hot systems also adorn many of the newer coaches and have been known to liberate owners from substantial sums of cash when a failure occurs. The Silverleaf, tank sensor, auto-fill interface may act up and not allow you to fill your water tank without making some plumbing modifications. So far I've only heard of the latter happening once.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
The video you posted is brought to us by Startrack Lifts. Their website seems like the place to get one.

2007's are well beyond the known WRV radiator problem and the ISL wrist pin issue. There have been several posts recently from owners of 2006 and newer coaches experiencing problems with smart bed hydraulics. Hydro-Hot systems also adorn many of the newer coaches and have been known to liberate owners from substantial sums of cash when a failure occurs. The Silverleaf, tank sensor, auto-fill interface may act up and not allow you to fill your water tank without making some plumbing modifications. So far I've only heard of the latter happening once.
Thank you for the list of things to check into. We are totally new to an upper end DP, we had a Adventurer before and while it was certainly a step above the 5th wheel we just sold, it's far from the complexity the Apline Coach puts forward.

The bed is just a standard mattress so no articulating bed. It does have the Hydro-Hot system and while I understand the basic principle of how it works it does seem to be fairly complicated. I was ready to purchase the Silverleaf software for my laptop until I realized that AC has them as an option integrated. Since the company is still in business I would imagine I could get it serviced if needed. Now the last part is a little new to me. Are the sensors which might be reading an incorrect fill amount preventing from adding more water to the tank?

I will give Startrack Lifts a call and see how I can get one ordered, delivered to a local dealer and installed.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

Read the following threads:
The value of simplicity
Bed slide comes in at bottom
Oil between rear smart bed

Scroll down the Alpine home page to find them. They will provide some enlightenment on the aforementioned issues. Then read and reread all the manuals you have to become familiar with the coach and the proper operation of its features and maintenance schedules. If you are missing manuals they can be downloaded from the tech library at the Alpine Coach Association website. There is a tremendous amount of helpful information there.

Another potential problem for all Alpines starting in 2004 is the Vansco Module. There are 2 on the coach, one in the battery compartment and one behind the dash panel in front of the passenger seat. Nearly everything is controlled from within the black box. It is a subject worth studying.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #5

No, No, swsarmyknife, when we talk about "smart beds", we're not talking about the one you sleep on, we mean the hydraulically articulated storage bins in the basement of the coach. When you push the button, they slide out; or in.
That's the cute name Alpine gave these devices.
Dudley Do-Right, '06 Alpine Apex 40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #6

OK, swsarmyknife, this is t he deal with the Silverleaf screen/system: When the screen is activated, the first screen you'll see will be the "drive" screen. On the right side is a double row of buttons with a round knob at the top. Push "info" and you get a vertical list of things you will need to do at various times. In the middle of the screen, will be a set of 4 rectangle "boxes" they represent, from the top, fresh water, graywater, blackwater, and LPG. Each will have a percentage of fill beside them, black being empty. In the list on the left, you will see "autofill". On the right side of the screen is a list of those same functions, and whether they are on, or off. If you turn the black knob at the top, the list of available options will highlight. Stop at "autofill" and push the round black knob. You will then note that the list on the right side, (which includes autofill) will say either off, or on. If you have selected on, then another sequence of events happens.
Back in the wet bay, streetside in front of the back wheel, is a hose reel, which you will have pulled out and connected to city water. When you select "on" at autofill, a series of solenoids will activate which allow the hose reel to be routed in such a way as to fill the water tank. When full, the tank sensor for fresh water will tell the autofill to shut off. The water system will then revert to city water, and you will have city water pressure in the coach. Once you disconnect from city water, you will have to get on your Silverleaf screen and select "waterpump", then following the same instructions as above, turn the waterpump to the on position. Now, isn't that a simple system? My problem is that my system always thinks my tank is full, so it won't let me fill the tank. there is no workaround. It just has to work or else.
Glad the engineers that set up this system didn't work for NASA.
Dudley Do-Right, Alpine Apex 40,MDTS
Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley do-right View Post
OK, swsarmyknife, this is t he deal with the Silverleaf screen/system: When the screen is activated, the first screen you'll see will be the "drive" screen. On the right side is a double row of buttons with a round knob at the top. Push "info" and you get a vertical list of things you will need to do at various times. In the middle of the screen, will be a set of 4 rectangle "boxes" they represent, from the top, fresh water, graywater, blackwater, and LPG. Each will have a percentage of fill beside them, black being empty. In the list on the left, you will see "autofill". On the right side of the screen is a list of those same functions, and whether they are on, or off. If you turn the black knob at the top, the list of available options will highlight. Stop at "autofill" and push the round black knob. You will then note that the list on the right side, (which includes autofill) will say either off, or on. If you have selected on, then another sequence of events happens.
Back in the wet bay, streetside in front of the back wheel, is a hose reel, which you will have pulled out and connected to city water. When you select "on" at autofill, a series of solenoids will activate which allow the hose reel to be routed in such a way as to fill the water tank. When full, the tank sensor for fresh water will tell the autofill to shut off. The water system will then revert to city water, and you will have city water pressure in the coach. Once you disconnect from city water, you will have to get on your Silverleaf screen and select "waterpump", then following the same instructions as above, turn the waterpump to the on position. Now, isn't that a simple system? My problem is that my system always thinks my tank is full, so it won't let me fill the tank. there is no workaround. It just has to work or else.
Glad the engineers that set up this system didn't work for NASA.
Dudley Do-Right, Alpine Apex 40,MDTS
Great, reminds me of BMW's first version of iDrive. Over complicated and prone to failure.

Would you say the failure is primarily with the sensors then and not with the silverleaf control unit. I am electrically inclined, so as long as I have a schematic I can troubleshoot down to component level, given that what comes out of the silverleaf is not some propitiatory command structure to a decentralized I/O board. The way you explained the autofill above it's very similar to a PLC setup with ladder logic that takes inputs and user selection and only performs them if all the conditions are met. PLC's themselfs are very robust and if the programming is done well usually never a concern. In the semiconductor industry they have fallen behind because more and more OEM's wanted higher level of control and now are using computer controlled equipment interfaces.

I downloaded the owners manual and found a reference to VMS400 CL, but on Silverleaf's website that doesn't exist, so I downloaded the VMS440 CL for Foretravel which shows the screen you are referring to. The rig is currently at the chassis place to get inspected, then will go back to the dealer for all the other items. Having a lot of info ahead of time will make sure when we do the final inspection before taking possession that I can address these issues. So if the water fill doesn't work it's up to them to fix since that is somewhat of a necessity I would say.

The 'smart bed', I still don't believe we have it. When we checked the basement it was just one big open floor space. My kids even climbed in and went across to the other side. Did they all have this standard or was this an option?

RVPioneer, I'll follow the posts you mentioned as well. No substitution for having knowledge to make good decisions ;-)

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #8

Attached is the only picture I have of one bay door open. There were no trays in there, but not sure if the prev owner removed them because of issues or the coach never came with it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_162006_HDR.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	200397  
Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsarmyknife View Post
Attached is the only picture I have of one bay door open. There were no trays in there, but not sure if the prev owner removed them because of issues or the coach never came with it..

The coach never had trays, when you trays the doors are on the tray, not hinged to flip up as yours do.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsarmyknife View Post
Great, reminds me of BMW's first version of iDrive. Over complicated and prone to failure.

Would you say the failure is primarily with the sensors then and not with the silverleaf control unit. I am electrically inclined, so as long as I have a schematic I can troubleshoot down to component level, given that what comes out of the silverleaf is not some propitiatory command structure to a decentralized I/O board. The way you explained the autofill above it's very similar to a PLC setup with ladder logic that takes inputs and user selection and only performs them if all the conditions are met. PLC's themselfs are very robust and if the programming is done well usually never a concern. In the semiconductor industry they have fallen behind because more and more OEM's wanted higher level of control and now are using computer controlled equipment interfaces.

I downloaded the owners manual and found a reference to VMS400 CL, but on Silverleaf's website that doesn't exist, so I downloaded the VMS440 CL for Foretravel which shows the screen you are referring to. The rig is currently at the chassis place to get inspected, then will go back to the dealer for all the other items. Having a lot of info ahead of time will make sure when we do the final inspection before taking possession that I can address these issues. So if the water fill doesn't work it's up to them to fix since that is somewhat of a necessity I would say.

The 'smart bed', I still don't believe we have it. When we checked the basement it was just one big open floor space. My kids even climbed in and went across to the other side. Did they all have this standard or was this an option?

RVPioneer, I'll follow the posts you mentioned as well. No substitution for having knowledge to make good decisions ;-)

Thanks.

Reach out to Silverleaf, they are are extremely helpful (the last time I spoke to Mark). They will be able to tell you exactly what version of software you should be using.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #11

I thought you had an Apex model, they were the ones with the "Smart Beds". You're lucky not to have them, just another layer of complexity, and they subtract from the usable storage space.
Dudley Do-Right, '06 Alpine Apex40MDTS
Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #12

PS, But they look sooo cool when they slide out.
DD-R Apex40
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley do-right View Post
I thought you had an Apex model, they were the ones with the "Smart Beds". You're lucky not to have them, just another layer of complexity, and they subtract from the usable storage space.
Dudley Do-Right, '06 Alpine Apex40MDTS
All still really new to me. Two weeks ago I didn't even know about WRV or their line of DP's. We were on our way back to make a down payment on a 2007 Fleetwood Providence when we came across this coach that just arrived at the dealer. We fell in love and made the down payment on this instead. Then the learning curve started with the Hydro Hot system and the Siverleaf and now the Vansco modules. I sure hope they are more robust than what they are made out to be.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
swsarmyknife,
The thing about this forum (and most problem oriented forums) is that folks don't write unless something is wrong. There are lots of folks that have never had problems with their Vansco Modules. I have read that the advantage of the Vansco system is that it eliminates miles of wiring between the front and rear of the Coach and the various 12-volt electrical components.