Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #1

New owners of a 2002 Alpine

Hello fellow alpine owners. We just got our 2002 alpine 37’ a couple weeks ago. Making it our own. I installed a new color rear view and side view camera system. Also installed new exhaust this past weekend. Ended up just straight piping it 4” with no muffler. Has 42k miles. While under the coach wiring the new back up camera everything seemed dry. I redid some of the caulking along the side seams.

We are excited to take it out in our first adventure. It was mainly purchased to haul our 27’ enclosed trailer for racing.

For now just looking to fix minor timings. One of the leveling jacks was not retracting. I doubt the tanks have been treated recently.

I’d really like to upgrade the outside patio lights?

Also is the hwh hydraulic system self bleeding?
Hoaglandt616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaglandt616 View Post
Hello fellow alpine owners. We just got our 2002 alpine 37’ a couple weeks ago. Making it our own. I installed a new color rear view and side view camera system. Also installed new exhaust this past weekend. Ended up just straight piping it 4” with no muffler. Has 42k miles. While under the coach wiring the new back up camera everything seemed dry. I redid some of the caulking along the side seams.

We are excited to take it out in our first adventure. It was mainly purchased to haul our 27’ enclosed trailer for racing.

For now just looking to fix minor timings. One of the leveling jacks was not retracting. I doubt the tanks have been treated recently.

I’d really like to upgrade the outside patio lights?

Also is the hwh hydraulic system self bleeding?
One of the best thing we ever did was replacing the springs on our levelers. The originals just didn't do the job well. That was 9 years ago and we are still having no problems with them. Once every few months we will wipe down the cylinders before retracting with a little bit of the fluid, otherwise, we have no problems.

I assume you are talking about treating the fresh water tank. The other tanks don't need any 'treatment', just use sufficient water and dump regularly. We also use the back rinse for the black tank a couple times a year. We've had our 2002 since Oct of 2005. She's just at 160K now.

I'm not sure what you mean by no muffler?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply! May I ask where you found the springs?

The muffler on the exhaust system was all rotted out so I had to replace the end portion of the exhaust.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for the reply! May I ask where you found the springs?

The muffler on the exhaust system was all rotted out so I had to replace the end portion of the exhaust.
Ordered them directly from HWH. It probably is a two-person job to put on (hubby and BIL did ours) but a lot of people can it by themselves.

I'm still amazed that one would go without an muffler on their rig - - you must be a hit in parks.
Blog
Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Even the Aero Exhaust that some owners have installed makes quite a statement.

There are a couple of threads here that discuss various methods of replacing the springs. I believe azpete can remove one in 30 seconds with lever he built.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

It is important to let the HWH system run until it shuts itself off when storing the jacks. Failing to do that leaves the fluid in the lines under pressure. The symptoms can vary from failing to completely retract to the jack dropping down a little while under way. When I get ready to move, i crank up the coach and let the air system lift the jacks off the ground. I then hit the "store" button. You can drive when you get the green light but leave the system on.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
It is important to let the HWH system run until it shuts itself off when storing the jacks. Failing to do that leaves the fluid in the lines under pressure. The symptoms can vary from failing to completely retract to the jack dropping down a little while under way. When I get ready to move, i crank up the coach and let the air system lift the jacks off the ground. I then hit the "store" button. You can drive when you get the green light but leave the system on.
I almost went with the aero muffler but after talking to some folks....and seeing how rotted the muffler was, it was basically an open exhaust already. Now with 4" sticking out the side its not much louder and less echo beings its being directed out from underneath the coach.

Yes I tried this multiple times; ran through the whole process multiple times. It would retrace a bit then get stuck in one area and with the system still running open (in store mode) I could pry the plate up and once it got past this bad spot then it would start retracting on its own again. cleaned and coated the piston with some fluid and no luck. even sanded it with 1000 grit and cleaned and coated. I ended up taking it to the hydraulic shop and it definitely needed a bore they said.

I guess i will ask now, is the hwh a self-bleeding system when i go to install this rebuilt cylinder?
Old 09-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

I treated the fresh water tank yesterday and plan to dump it this afternoon. Sounds like getting it to seal again is a pain. I will hope for the best.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I treated the fresh water tank yesterday and plan to dump it this afternoon. Sounds like getting it to seal again is a pain. I will hope for the best.
Why do you think it is a pain? Pull the handle, let it drain (if it is full, 100 gallons spreads all over) then push the handle in. Done. We do this every year before heading out for the summer.
Blog
Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #10

All the old posts I’ve read it seems it never seals right after draining
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
All the old posts I’ve read it seems it never seals right after draining
Well we have had our coach since 2005 and have never had a problem. Now, the handle isn't easy to get to, especially if the slide is out, but maybe we are really lucky.
Blog
Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

FWIW, I've never had a problem with it sealing after dumping.
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #13

No issues here. I really appreciate all the help from you folks.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #14

I have had trouble with the seal for the fresh water tank. Even after I replaced the valve it was inconsistent. I finally added some straps to limit the cable flex and now the valve will close evert time.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote