Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

New Purchase info

Hello everyone. My wife and I are getting ready to purchase a 2000 40' Alpine Coach and have been reading some good and some bad mainly about the hydrolic brakes going out. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this year coach. Any info greatly appreciated. We don't want to make the mistake of a life time in purchasing this as well as making a mistake on possibly passing up a very good coach.
ChunkyBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

I have firsthand experience with the brake issue.

Our coach is a 2000 36' mid-door and we have had to repair our brakes twice.

First time was about 7 - 8 years ago and then we had a second occurrence about a year later.

Here's a thread with some more info:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/brakes-again-76922.html

We think the first shop did not replace the calipers with the new versions; I recall the second mechanic telling me he installed a new version on the next go-around.

We change the brake fluid now on an annual (roughly) basis and have not had a re-occurrence. We've had our coach now for thirteen years and have been very happy with it (disregarding the brake issues)...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

On Our 2000 the only brake work I've had to do was replace all four calipers and they are stocked by most napa stores a very common part. Also very inexpensive surprisingly like 75 bucks each and very easy to replace.

The brakes on alpine coaches don't like to sit and they should have the brake fluid changed annually
chrisancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #4

Thanks

Thank you, I really appreciate the info.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

My 2001 has 116,000 miles on it. I did have to change out the brake fluid to the high temp fluid after brake fade on mountain roads. Anyway except for the brake fluke no brake work at all.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Yes, on ANY heavy vehicle with hydraulic brakes, brake fluid needs to be changed every couple of years-- interval depends on whether you are the damp/wet climate or desert SW.
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

PS--don't know about early Alpines with 2-piston calipers but on newer Alpines with 4-piston calipers, a complete flush of the brake system requires removal of the wheels to reach the outside caliper bleed screws. You might get at the front axle screws but the back axle is physically impossible. Don't let a repair shop tell you they did a complete flush without having removed the wheels......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

And, on the early/2 piston calipers, the caliper slides need to be cleaned and lubed with caliper slide grease when you change the brake fluid.
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
PS--don't know about early Alpines with 2-piston calipers but on newer Alpines with 4-piston calipers, a complete flush of the brake system requires removal of the wheels to reach the outside caliper bleed screws. You might get at the front axle screws but the back axle is physically impossible. Don't let a repair shop tell you they did a complete flush without having removed the wheels......
Ignoring the brake issue, our early 2000 had a couple of small problems. One was the dash. 1999 had a somewhat ugly Naugahyde cover. The other was the driver side slide out. If the drivers seat was all the Back while moving the slide in they would interfere with each other.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

Thanks, you still have this coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
I have firsthand experience with the brake issue.

Our coach is a 2000 36' mid-door and we have had to repair our brakes twice.

First time was about 7 - 8 years ago and then we had a second occurrence about a year later.

Here's a thread with some more info:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/brakes-again-76922.html

We think the first shop did not replace the calipers with the new versions; I recall the second mechanic telling me he installed a new version on the next go-around.

We change the brake fluid now on an annual (roughly) basis and have not had a re-occurrence. We've had our coach now for thirteen years and have been very happy with it (disregarding the brake issues)...

Hello and thanks for the info, just wondering if you still have the same coach and if you experienced any other trouble, like with the air suspension?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone else.

Thank you everyone else for the additional information. Was wondering if any of you guys still own the same coach now or did you upgrade to something else.

My wife and I are on a very modest budget so we are being extra careful as this will probably be our last coach and have to last us a while

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
2002 36' FDDS Purchased new 1/30/02

175K+ miles, will add another 10k this year.

Bernie
Pearland, Tx
BernieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Bought mine with 40K miles on it. Have had it since 2005 and now have 132K on it. Air Ride suspension is great, and have had no problems. Alpine's have longer wheel base than coaches of the same time period and length as well as a better front/back weight distribution. These also make for better ride/handling. As others have mentioned, changing the brake fluid on a regular basis and having the pin slides lubed every 3 years or so will address any likelihood of the brakes hanging up. BTW, how do you plan on using the coach? Travel for several months of the year or mostly parked in one spot?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Bought mine with 40K miles on it. Have had it since 2005 and now have 132K on it. Air Ride suspension is great, and have had no problems. Alpine's have longer wheel base than coaches of the same time period and length as well as a better front/back weight distribution. These also make for better ride/handling. As others have mentioned, changing the brake fluid on a regular basis and having the pin slides lubed every 3 years or so will address any likelihood of the brakes hanging up. BTW, how do you plan on using the coach? Travel for several months of the year or mostly parked in one spot?
Thanks for all the great info. My wife and I both still work so will not be using it full time. It will be used primarily for weekend trips from April to Oct. as our winters in Colorado can be long.

Tags
purchase