Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Andy, the Xantrex "full sine wave" replacement for the old Freedom 458 is the SW2012. My previous comments bare repeating: check out all of the issues identified by myself & others BEFORE deciding.

I believe in both case (Xantrex & Magnum) the size of the inverter/charger is greater than the 458. I know the Xantrex is larger and you can check with Jim A who used a Magnum. I know the 2012 mounted in the same position as the 458 but oriented differently and the carpeted panels needed to be modified. I have a Joey bed in that compartment and the 2012 just fit comfortably. You may have something different.

The key issue is the System Control Panel (SCP). The 2012 requires an RJ45 cable which was a royal PITA to install; especially behind a residential fridge. The Magnum can reuse the original RJ11 cable used by the 458. You'll need a new SCP in either case.

The 2012 will require a new battery temperature sensor which was also a PITA but not quite as bad as the RJ11 cable. I'm not sure about the Magnum but Jim A can provide that information.

When I purchased my 2012 last year I ordered it from a website online but can't remember the name. It was on-sale for $1,200 which was considerably less than the Magnum product. I opted for the Xantrex not knowing about the PITA's previously mentioned. Also, the 2012 fans run constantly when plugged into shore power and not sure how the Magnum operates. Seems like a matter of time before one or two of my fans will need to be replaced!?

Knowing what I know now, I would have opted for the Magnum product even though it cost more (at that time). If the Magnum doesn't cost much more that the 2012 today, seems like a "no-brainer" for me.

Please feel free to PM me if you need help with the 2012. I'm sure Jim A or others with the Magnum product would offer to help as well. The Alpine owners are usually VERY willing to share information & experience.

Good luck!

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #16

Andy, Bob's PITA comments, both written and in person, convinced me to go with the Magnum inverter. I don't have the residential fridge, so I didn't need the higher watt unit. But all of the Magnum inverters in that line share the same case (except for one that is smaller).

The orientation of the unit is the same as the Freedom 458. Wiring is the same. It is about as close to a drop in replacement situation as you could ask for. It is about 1/2" wider than the Freedom 458. In my coach the inverter is mounted inside the coach at the bottom of a cabinet, and the width is not an issue. It is mounted to two 2x2 blocks, which needed to be moved out a half inch. The blocks came up with the screws holding down the old unit, so that didn't take much effort.

Bob already addressed the remote control wiring. No change necessary. Plug and play.

The battery temperature sensor could have been a PITA, but I took the amateur way out. Both the new and the old sensors used RJ11 cables. I simply cut off the old sensor head, spliced on a new RJ11 phone plug, and used a coupler to plug the new sensor cable into the old cable with the new plug in the battery compartment. No fishing of cables. (I have AGM's so I am not worried about corrosive fumes.) Works fine. The remote has a screen where you can read the temperatures, and it shows the battery temperature, so I know it is working. And I can always cut and splice again if it ever fails. And the charger circuit would still work even if it wasn't connected. You would just loose a little control of the charging rate.

I haven't any experience with the noise since I have not been on the road with it since the swap. But another Alpine Coach owner told me his was much quieter than his old Freedom 458. In testing mine was certainly quiet. Unlike Bob's experience, my fans don't run all the time. They appear to run only when needed.

The setup with the new remote looks complicated when you read the manual, but it really isn't. The default settings are pretty much all you need, with the exception of needing to select the battery type, which is very critical. That controls the charging rates in all stages of charging.

The design of the Magnum unit is impressive to me. Solid frame casting, not a stamped sheet metal case. Very solid. It sure seems well made.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #17

Great Information, Thanks! I ordered the Magnum MS2012. Did you replace your Auto Gen Start too? What about Magnums batter monitoring kit?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #18

Andy, since I don't have the residential fridge I didn't have the automatic generator start. If I did more dry camping I would probably have ordered the battery monitoring kit as well. But I did buy the ME-ARC advanced remote in case I wanted to add those at a later date.

I do have a friend who bought both of those for his Alpine, and he is very happy with it.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Andy, I don't believe there's a functional dependency between your AGS & Inverter/Charger other than they were both Xantrex. So, unless your AGS is broken or you just don't want Xantrex, there should be no problem moving to the Magnum unit.

Since you're a relatively new owner with AGS, you should be aware of how the AGS controls work. You'll notice that you can set a "Quiet Time" start & end by hour only and NO minutes. You can assume that it's at the start of the hour but you're probably wrong. It depends on when DC power was last applied to the AGS which is when the clock started and becomes the reference in minutes. There's NO means of setting the exact reference time in minutes directly (per Xantrex Technical Support). If you want to assure that its clock is close to the "first minute", here's how to do it (also from Xantrex TS).

1. Remove the large connector from the AGS controller typically located in the cabinet just left of the cabinet with the AGS control panel.
2. Leave the connector out atleast 30 - seconds.
3. Re-attach the connector when the current time starts the "first minute" of any hour.

This procedure effectively assures that when you set a "Start Time" hour you're also referencing the "first minute" of that hour (or very close to it). Otherwise, you could set a start hour for 10 PM not knowing that the minute reference is 55 which means your start time would be 10:55 PM. Your neighbors may not appreciate the gen starting at almost 11:PM!?

I hope this information is helpful to you & others with AGS.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #20

Bob,

FYI, the Magnum remote control has a screen for setting the current time. I believe that is used for their AGS system (and a few other things), but I honestly didn't pay much attention to that, since I don't have it.

I did set the time however.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #21

imarineusa.com is a good place to buy inverters. Great prices.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator