Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

New Shocks--Yahoo!!!!

There has been quite a bit of discussion recently about new shocks on the forum. I replaced the rear shocks on my 2003 40ft MDTS [178k miles] this weekend [under Koni warranty] and wanted to share my initial observations. I replaced the rear shocks with Koni 88-series--old shocks were also Koni 88s, installed 2014, so maybe 50k miles on them. One of the old shocks had moderately weak dampering in one direction, the other was very weak in both directions.

So with nearly 3-year old Koni 99 series in front, new Koni 88s in the rear, and motion control valves [33k lbs model] on rear axle, I took my rig for a drive this AM. Results were pretty positive. The rear axle was well behaved--significant "Walmart-wobble" improvement. I remain satisfied with overall 99's performance on the front axle. Time will tell--but initial results are very good.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

Good to read you are satisfied with the new rears. Motion Control Valves are next on my list.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

Dale....I'm not familiar with "motion control valves" How do they work, and where do you get them? I put 99's on my coach about a year ago, front and back. No prob so far.
I' also wondering about the new motion control systems that HWH is advertising. Am wondering if they are adaptable to our airbag systems?
Dudley Do-Right '06Apex 40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Brazels sells MCU’s. We have them on ours, they were installed by the PO, so I can’t offer feedback on before/after results.

We took the coach to Henderson’s for their Road Performance Assesment 2 years ago. Their only recommendation was to switch to their MCU’s, which they said have a 2-way valve vs a 1-way valve. I plan to ask is they will allow me to demo a set before the Crater Lake rally.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #5

How tough is changing the shocks? Is this able to be accomplished in the driveway?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
How tough is changing the shocks? Is this able to be accomplished in the driveway?
Yes, it can be a DYI ... some larger shop tools will be required.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Yes, it can be a DYI ... some larger shop tools will be required.

AKOne, what larger shop tools? I love to learn to do things myself, but if the cost of the tools that I don’t have dwarf the cost of a shop doing the maintenance, then I’ll let them do it.

I’m having tires replaced in June, so their techs will already be under the coach...
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #8

Anyone know the part numbers for 99’s for the front and the 88’s for the rear on a 2005 40 FDTS?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #9

….this info is all on the IRV2 forum...in many places and in many ways....see Koni website--they have the part numbers for 99s and 88s on our Peak chassis and these are the only replacement options for Koni....88 number is 88-1022s and 99s are listed too.
PS--front shocks are pretty accessible but rear shocks are a bit of a challenge to reach....if you don't take the wheels off, you will almost certainly need an impact wrench [air or electric; 500+ft/lbs]. I am likely the one who replaced those current front shocks for the PO--so bolts are probably not "overly" tight.....
PSS--unless you know for sure that its been done, its also about time for a brake fluid flush, which does require wheels off.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Anyone know the part numbers for 99’s for the front and the 88’s for the rear on a 2005 40 FDTS?
Tommy,

I did mine in Nov of '16. I changed them myself in my driveway. I was 2 years younger then, time takes it's toll. The fronts are like a giant car, very accessible and straightforward. The new Konis are a lot heftier than the existing shocks and quite a bit harder to extend and collapse for reaching the mounting studs, but easy to do.

The rears are a little tougher, when I first looked at them I thought I'd have it done. Once I got under there and looked again it seemed doable.

I drove up on blocks for both ends to provide a little more working room and used an electric impact with an extension for the rears. If memory serves I would say an hour for the front and 2 hours for the rears, not rushing. Take a good hard look and give it some thought.

That said, if you're going to the tire shop anyway, it would save you some work and it would be simpler with the rear wheels off and probably fairly fast for them to change them.

I ordered Koni 8805-1022 for the rear and Koni EVO 99B-3209 for the front. I bought from Ultra RV Products at that time they were about $725 delivered.

If I was having tires done at the time I would've had the shop do it just because they're already there.

FWIW, I'm happy with them.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply Terry! I’m going to ask them what they’ll charge to change them for me.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….this info is all on the IRV2 forum...in many places and in many ways....see Koni website--they have the part numbers for 99s and 88s on our Peak chassis and these are the only replacement options for Koni....88 number is 88-1022s and 99s are listed too.
PS--front shocks are pretty accessible but rear shocks are a bit of a challenge to reach....if you don't take the wheels off, you will almost certainly need an impact wrench [air or electric; 500+ft/lbs]. I am likely the one who replaced those current front shocks for the PO--so bolts are probably not "overly" tight.....
PSS--unless you know for sure that its been done, its also about time for a brake fluid flush, which does require wheels off.

Dean, thanks for the heads up. How often does the brake fluid need to be flushed? I’ve never had issues with brake fluid in any of my cars, but I know these are a different beast. I’m guessing that is best accomplished by a shop?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #13

Opinions vary but I recommend every 2-3 years--no more than 4. To do this properly on the 4-piston, caliper brakes, like yours; the wheels should be removed to gain access to the outside calipers bleed screws....removing wheels is not a job for the faint of heart....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 03-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #14

I’m going to try to get through a year with it as is; already done way more than we planned this year. I still have great stopping power. Will put this on the list for next year.

Any idea of the cost?

Tags
shocks