Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Just thought I'd share the installation of sun screens on our 2000 FDS.

They were custom made and installed by:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>RV Sunshades by Solarista
Pahrump & Las Vegas, NV. and
Phoenix & Tuscon, AZ
1-866-751-9206[/list]We were in Las Vegas at the Outdoor Resorts, where Kenny White did the work onsite at our RV. I highly recommend using them if you're near a location they service.

I had them on this weekend, and should have taken a picture looking out, but forgot. However, heatwaves rising from the ground might have made the view look distorted ... it was 115 degrees outside!

Anyway, here's a couple of picts:

Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Just thought I'd share the installation of sun screens on our 2000 FDS.

They were custom made and installed by:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>RV Sunshades by Solarista
Pahrump & Las Vegas, NV. and
Phoenix & Tuscon, AZ
1-866-751-9206[/list]We were in Las Vegas at the Outdoor Resorts, where Kenny White did the work onsite at our RV. I highly recommend using them if you're near a location they service.

I had them on this weekend, and should have taken a picture looking out, but forgot. However, heatwaves rising from the ground might have made the view look distorted ... it was 115 degrees outside!

Anyway, here's a couple of picts:

Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Jeff, it looks great. I had Kenny do the same thing for my coach last year. I mounted a piece of 6" PVC drain pipe in the through basement bay, now I can roll them up and store them out of the way even if they are wet. I used beam clamps to attach to the frame and mounted the PVC at an angle with a couple of drain holes in the low end). I put a 6" galvanized heat duct cap on the end so that they do not push all the way through.

I used the same set up to hold a 7' folding step ladder from Camping World so that I can get to the top clips without stretching.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #4

I'd like to see photos of both storage set-ups please.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Coleman:
I'd like to see photos of both storage set-ups please. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ditto that!! I have yet to fashion a storage location for the screens. And my ladder is just sitting on the storage bay floor under the vacuum, against the bulkhead.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Well, I hate to say it, but these look nicer than the ones we bought at the factory made by MCD. They are wrinkle free and very neat along the edges.

Our only complaint about the MCD sun screens is that they aren't "thick" enough...that is, they let in too much light and don't offer much in the way of privacy. I guess they need to be a heavier gage.

Dave, I wonder if your storage solution would work with the Smart Beds. We'll be heading out for a couple of weeks tomorrow, so we'll have to look under there and see if we have enough clearance to mount a pipe on the ceiling of the bay. I, too, would like to see pics!

Jeff and Dave, thanks for sharing!

BTW, that 115 degree heat is why we're leaving tomorrow to head for the mountains. Enough already!! Jeff, I hope you are heading out soon, too, before everything melts. You would think that anyone from AZ would know better than to be in LV in July!!!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #7

We also purchased solar screens (from elsewhere) and really appreciate the heat they keep out.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Gail and John,

Our new SE's have the perfect area for a pipe or 2 to hold the ladder and sun shades, it is just in front of or bellow the propane tank. I have to check the length needed to know exactly where I will install the pipes. Easy access from the drivers side. I plan to install mine when I get home.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gail & John:
Jeff, I hope you are heading out soon, too, before everything melts. You would think that anyone from AZ would know better than to be in LV in July!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, we live & work full time in Phoenix, so our only get away from our Arizona heat will be our second big trip since purchasing our 2000 coach in June '06. Where to you might ask? The NEWPORT pre-rally!!! and FMCA following (hopefully cool enough for comfortable boon-docking). Hopefully, July will pass by fast because we're looking forward to hitting the road for the 2.5 weeks that we'll be gone.

We even think it's a treat to go to Indio in July, as long as there's 50A, so call us crazy. Our next planned trip is back again to Lake Mohave (downriver from Lake Mead) for the 3rd weekend of July, it'll probably be even hotter than the 115 that we had there this past weekend. We are there for the jet skiing, so we want it warm.

Back on topic ... Kenny said that the material was a 90% blocking screen. But, I don't know if that was a intensity or UV blocking rating.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #10

Me thinks the heat has gotten to you!! I brought my coach home to the beach from Indio, as it is currently 119 degrees there!!
Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I just posted 3 pictures under Motorhome, showing what I put in as well as the mounting details. The pictures are pending, but I am sure they will be available shortly.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Here are 3 pictures and desciptions of my installation.

Sun Shade and Ladder Holders - This is in the second bay, curbside, it goes all the way through to the streetside bay next to the utilities.

Sun Shade Mounting - This is the way I mounted it on the curbside frame.

Mounting Details - This is the way I mounted it on the streetside. I attached a threaded rod to lower that end so if the shades are wet when they were put away, the water will drain through a hole I put at the bottom of the PVC pipe. Yes, the rod is bent, It is attached to the piece that sticks out from the frame on an incline.

I bolted the 2 pieces of sewer pipe together so that I only needed to attach one to the frame with a beam clamp.

All parts came from Lowe's, Home Depot does not carry 6" PVC.

The ladder is a double sided, folding 7' that I got at Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...Ladder/skunum=20319 it is currently on sale at $119.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #13

It took a while to figure out photos #1 & #2, but after looking at #3 it made sense. What kind of ladder do you carry? I bought a Little Giant, which while a great ladder, is much too heavy and cumbersome. I have also seen nice telescoping ladders, but yours seems to be different from all of those. How tall is it?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DrDaveCA:
Here are 3 pictures and desciptions of my installation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Dave, now I have a target of what can be done for the storage. I never even thought of storing the ladder in the same fashion.