Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle RC Air View Post
I had to read this post twice! 80-85 mph, thats got to be quite a ride. Is there anything left in the way of speed?
Also, brings up the question on what kind of tires the cross country buses use when they cruise at these kind of speeds.
I have never experienced a blowout on the front at highway speeds and not sure I want to.

Beagle
Actually I can top 90 and even then I've been passed by fully loaded tanker trucks!!
My tires are rated for 75 mph max so I don't go over 80 very often and never when towing and I tow 99% of the time.
Michelins have worked well for me over many many years so I'll continue to use them.
The only blowout I've ever had since i started driving 50 years ago was a GoodYear on my '97 Jeep.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Now with that said, we have Goodyears G670's on the coach when we purchased it, I check the AP monthly and/or before any long coach trip of 200 miles and take the AP up to the rated 120psi per tire. I have not had any ill effects or blowouts on these tires in the 27K miles and 6 years old that they are. Yes, I know new ones are needed every 6 years max, so I'm going with Michelin, even if the deal is not available, because I have never had a bad michelin tire in the 40+ years I have been purchasing them.
Does the GoodYear weight/pressure chart call for 120 psi? Or are you just guessing at what you need?
Too much pressure is not as bad as too little but it still reduces the available traction and will ride rough.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm all Michelin with my three vehicles.

Who's to say what is best. I know which ones cost the most.

But that doesn't prove anything either.

I just put four Michelin tires from Costco on my Lexus two weeks ago.

One of the reasons I bought them there was that we travel all over the country and I know Costco will handle any problem I have and they can always get Michelins
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
It appears that the tire program is still alive and well. This link will show the possible prices for certain size Michelins.

http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/p...lin-prices.pdf
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
All - the sidewall of the G670's states that for max weight rating of the tire, use that pressure for those tires. I have checked the 33K max weight rating and the axle front and rear weight rating, and based on those scale weights, I am close enough to max vehicle/axle weight, that I feel safer with 120 psi per tire. I won't wear out the tires running too much air before they reach the 6 year point where for the GY's it's replace them.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #20

Here is some info from Goodyear:

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Saved the guide to the PC, will read it when it rains. I personally don't trust the GY's past the 6 year old point, but like I mentioned, we have not had issues with them. Before I had the brakes bleed (twice in 3 years), my rear brakes used to heat up and cause the tire pressure monitor to give me a warning. I have since figured out that for the most part switching between high and low engine brake will slow us down enough going down hill, that using the service brakes is not hardly necessary unless their is an idiot in front of us going down the same hill.

After the second bleed, the service brakes work real good and don't need as much pressure as before. I am leary of changing the MC out for the other one mentioned on a different thread.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #22

I just replaced my front Michelins with Toyos and so far I am quite happy. The cost is much better and the sizing and load ratings are actually better with the Toyos...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Doug - FWIW - We replaced the front tires 14 months ago with Michelin and last month we replaced the other 4 with Michelin, using the FMCA/Michelin discount. We really like the smoother ride the Michelin give. We have about 50,000 miles on the Apex.

We actually have Michelin on all 3 of our vehicles. We got the truck tires from Costco while we were passing through Montana and had no sales tax on them. Had considered going to Oregon for the 4 tires so save on tax but didn't want to wait til we "might" go up there later in the year.

We actually got Michelin on the Jaguar from a local tire store that was having a special pricing last year for 1/2 of what Costco wanted for the same thing.
So check around for different alternatives if you have the time!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
I just replaced my front Michelins with Toyos and so far I am quite happy. The cost is much better and the sizing and load ratings are actually better with the Toyos...
On our DSDP I needed something that was sized like a 275/70 22.5 but had the weight rating of the 295/80 22.5. The only tire (at the time) that fit the bill was the Michelin 305/70 22.5, so that's what I got on the front. Stayed with the 275/70's on the rear as they are way under their capacity. Since I believe strongly in Michelin tires that was OK with me.

Tags
tires