Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

New tires

I have a 2006 40 ft Alpine. It only has 36000 miles but the tires are dry rotting and I want to replace them. What are the best tires I can put on this coach? Thanks, Doug
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
nssracer,
Oh, you open a can of worms!! To paraphrase Clint Eastwood in "The Dead Pool" opinions are like ****oles, everybody has one. That said, last spring I put on Bridgestone R250's and have been very pleased with their performance. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced the back ones (Toyos) last spring with Toyos. 70K miles on them. Good tires.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

I am replacing my Bridgestone R280 (early 06 date code) with the same, been very good. I will go to H rating from G.
Highlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i just got the bridgestones and they work great
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

Bridgestone R 280. About 35,000 on tires and totally satisified.

Beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig came with Michelins, when I finally needed to replace them the only one that made a tire with the high weight rating and would fit the front wheel well was Michelin so that's what we got again. Didn't balance the rear tires and only notice it when I get above 80-85 mph.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Best" riding, lasting, all around, for the money, according to me, or someone else? It's a sticky wicket and it goes on and on and on.

But it is a question many ask for good reason. Michelins came with my rig, they stood me well for ten years so I went back for more. I found an excellent price at Costco.

Goodyear, Michelin, Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone, etc; all have their supporters and detractors and their opinion is based on their personal experience. Michelin has never failed me, so I like them, particularly when I find a good price.

Goodyear and Michelin make tires specific for RV's. I'm not sure about the others. Toyo is a truck tire but many people put them on Rv's, successfully.

Buying a tire is one thing caring for them is another. At five years your tires have dry rot then I suspect they were not cared for very well by the previous owner. so what ever you buy air them properly for the weight they will carry, weigh your rig properly, cover them when not rolling, wash and clean them carefully and they will last longer.

Michelin for me, that is my opinion based on my experience. I have no problem reccommending that someone give them a close look when they are shopping for tires.

Shop well and get a good price. I personaly found Goodyears in my market to be seriously overpriced and my Michelin deal came so close to the Toyo price I was not tempted by Toyo in the final analysis. I think I wound up with the best tire I could get for the money I paid.

Michelin has a little different sizing than others so make sure if you buy a different tire than reccomended by the manufacturer that you get the proper size and that the duals fit properly.

I really wish it was as easy as ______________is the best tire but it is just not so. Read, shop, listen and ask questions then make the best choice you can on what you have learned.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our rig came with Michelins, when I finally needed to replace them the only one that made a tire with the high weight rating and would fit the front wheel well was Michelin so that's what we got again. Didn't balance the rear tires and only notice it when I get above 80-85 mph.
I had to read this post twice! 80-85 mph, thats got to be quite a ride. Is there anything left in the way of speed?
Also, brings up the question on what kind of tires the cross country buses use when they cruise at these kind of speeds.
I have never experienced a blowout on the front at highway speeds and not sure I want to.

Beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle RC Air View Post
I have never experienced a blowout on the front at highway speeds and not sure I want to.

Beagle
I had one on the passenger front at about 50-55 mph. Not fun.

I plan to put new tires on this year and I will probably stay with the Goodyear G670s I installed six years ago. I had the blowout (Toyo) on Sunday and had the six tires waiting to be installed at the tire shop on Monday (had arrived the previous week). I am replacing the tires because we are planning to head to Alaska this year and that just seems to be the smart thing to do. I am hoping one of my used tires will fit in the compartment so I have a spare for the trip. Tires have sure gotten expensive over the years, haven't they?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssracer View Post
I have a 2006 40 ft Alpine. It only has 36000 miles but the tires are dry rotting and I want to replace them. What are the best tires I can put on this coach? Thanks, Doug
what make of tires and how old where they
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #12

Bridgestone R250s have been great for us over 25,000 miles; much better than the factory Toyos. My research from people who are in the truck/bus tire business and Bandag recap truck tires says Bridgestone has stronger casings and more tread depth than the Goodyears.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

Rich & Cork- if you are in a group to AK, have one party carry the spare tire, and another carry the spare Beefeaters, approximately equal weights should do. Its only fair.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - If the special is still running, FMCA worked out a deal with Michelin for some kind of a discount. You must be a member of FMCA to get it. I don't think it shows up until you login to the site, but could be wrong. I have a copy of the paperwork around here someplace but cannot lay my hands on it easy. Suggest you look into the program to see if it is still in effect.

FWIW#2 - Michelin says on their website, they warranty there tires for 10 years provided at the 5 year point you have them inspected by an authroized service center which I am sure means taking them off the vehicle and dismounting and remounting them back on the wheels so they can look at the inside as well. That alone could cost 300 dollars, but is way cheaper than 4K for new ones. Something to think about.

Now with that said, we have Goodyears G670's on the coach when we purchased it, I check the AP monthly and/or before any long coach trip of 200 miles and take the AP up to the rated 120psi per tire. I have not had any ill effects or blowouts on these tires in the 27K miles and 6 years old that they are. Yes, I know new ones are needed every 6 years max, so I'm going with Michelin, even if the deal is not available, because I have never had a bad michelin tire in the 40+ years I have been purchasing them.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires