Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #29

"That is a problem at some dealers as tire safety cages which are required by law when seating/inflating high pressure tires on a rim after mounting/remounting are vertical at many shops that I have been to."

The safety cage would be a good idea in Mexico, There they aim propane into the open slot tween tire and rim till the inside is fairly full of gas. Then they stand back a coupla feet (I think that's the Mex-OSHA approved distance), and fling a lit match at the hole. There is a quick, loud POP, and the tire is seated.
Pretty impressive. From a distance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is a problem at some dealers as tire safety cages which are required by law when seating/inflating high pressure tires on a rim after mounting/remounting are vertical at many shops that I have been to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was the case when they replaced my front tires after having a blow out on the right front. They did not use the cage when they mounted the "Fat Boys". They would not fit into the cage.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by riggarob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2golfers:
Balance rings (Centramatics) work very well if your tires are round and installed properly on the wheels. Too many times the tires are not seated properly on the wheels and nothing will cause them to run smoothly. Tires should never be aired up at the dealer while standing up (most dealers make the mistake of doing this). The weight of the wheel pushing down will keep the tires from seating straight. Make sure they lay the wheel on a bucket so there is no off center weight on the tire. Air the tire to max pressure than let the air out until the tire starts to pull away from the wheel. Then air it back up to the pressure you want to run. Normally your tires will be true at this point. If it takes over 8 oz. to balance there is something wrong. You should not accept the tires if they don't balance properly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a problem at some dealers as tire safety cages which are required by law when seating/inflating high pressure tires on a rim after mounting/remounting are vertical at many shops that I have been to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just taking a stab at this, because I used to align front ends. The tire cage we used was for the "split ring" rims. You know, the old 16.5" rims w/ the split ring around the outside of the rim. I'm outta the loop now, so it's just a guess on my part. Robbie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #32

Tire dealers can take special safety precautions to mount tires laying down. The tires have to be aired up in an area seperate from other work. Air is put in by connecting the far end of the air hose to the outlet and the air can be stopped from going in by disconnecting it there as well. The outlet is regulated to the proper pressure. If the dealer is really interested in doing motor home tires properly the work can be done properly AND safely. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2golfers:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by riggarob:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2golfers:
Balance rings (Centramatics) work very well if your tires are round and installed properly on the wheels. Too many times the tires are not seated properly on the wheels and nothing will cause them to run smoothly. Tires should never be aired up at the dealer while standing up (most dealers make the mistake of doing this). The weight of the wheel pushing down will keep the tires from seating straight. Make sure they lay the wheel on a bucket so there is no off center weight on the tire. Air the tire to max pressure than let the air out until the tire starts to pull away from the wheel. Then air it back up to the pressure you want to run. Normally your tires will be true at this point. If it takes over 8 oz. to balance there is something wrong. You should not accept the tires if they don't balance properly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a problem at some dealers as tire safety cages which are required by law when seating/inflating high pressure tires on a rim after mounting/remounting are vertical at many shops that I have been to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just taking a stab at this, because I used to align front ends. The tire cage we used was for the "split ring" rims. You know, the old 16.5" rims w/ the split ring around the outside of the rim. I'm outta the loop now, so it's just a guess on my part. Robbie </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is a problem at some dealers as tire safety cages which are required by law when seating/inflating high pressure tires on a rim after mounting/remounting are vertical at many shops that I have been to </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When I worked at a truck stop 30 years ago the 22.5" OTR truck tires were on split rims, and many places had an upright cage to put the tire in while inflating it on the rim. We did not have a cage. I assembled the tire lying flat on the floor, and stopped several times while inflating it to tap the ring down to ensure it was secure. Getting in a hurry was sure to lead to trouble with split rings. I knew one guy who blew a ring through the roof of the building while not using a cage, and one guy who lost an arm when the tire blew up while he was inflating a tire in a cage ... and it blew the vertical sides of the cage into a very bowed position. I hadn't thought of them using cages for "normal" rims, and haven't seen a horizontal cage -- might be interesting for me to check out a modern truckstop!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #34

Robbie- Tubeless tires can be prone to "zipper" in which a spot on the tire blows out at tremendous pressure. This can cause injury or death. This happens rarely on new tires. It is almost always caused when a tire is damaged by impact or a foreign object. Someone trys to repair the damage and than airs it back up. A safety cage will stop the tire from leaping into the air but the force of the air blasting out of a tire in a small area can be devastating. I think the zipper is as or more dangerous than the old split rim.