Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone used Kumho tires as replacements on your Alpine Coach. I would like to hear any opinions of these and any other off brand name tires (non Michelin or Goodyear's). Considering I am not fulltiming I just don't know that I can justify the extra 40% for a name brand tire.

Moorpark, CA
work2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone used Kumho tires as replacements on your Alpine Coach. I would like to hear any opinions of these and any other off brand name tires (non Michelin or Goodyear's). Considering I am not fulltiming I just don't know that I can justify the extra 40% for a name brand tire.

Moorpark, CA
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #3

I just bought new tires for our 36' and looked at these and after doing research I decided it's not worth saving a few bucks for the off-brands, specifically Kumho. Just one problem and there goes your cost savings and probably a whole lot more. I decided to go with Toyo's.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
which Toyo's did you go with and how much were they? I have been getting prices for GY and Michelin for ~$3500 installed where the Kumho's were around $2000. If I could find Toyo's for something in between those prices I would probably go with those. I have been happy with Toyo's that have been on the coach.

Moorpark, CA
Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #5

I don't have the papers in front of me but they were basically identical to the OEM Toyo's they replaced. 6 tires - 295/R75 22.5 I believe. Low profiles. They were $330 each adding up to just over $2200 installed with new stems. Les Schwab tires up here in Oregon. I'm not sure if Les Schwab goes down to your area.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

I installed Yokohamas on my coach recently. Toyos are no longer recommending their tires for RV use. A 75% aspect ratio is not low profile.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

After to much research and pricing we went with R280 Bridgestones. Not the cheapest but a highly regarded tire by truckers and recappers.
Works for us.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Can't speak for their coach tires, but I had a set of Kumho ZR rated tires for my car, and they wore out in no time. Softer than normal rubber, I guess.

2007 Limited SE 36FDTS
Cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
had a set of Kuhmo tires on my F350 dually and they lasted about 28000 miles. They were not especially smooth. The Michelins are much smoother and quieter.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
ok, I have narrowed it down to either Toyo M122's or Yokohama RY083A or RY023. Please provide any opinions you might have on these tires.

Moorpark, CA
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">any other off brand name tires (non Michelin or Goodyear's) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait, Bridgestone isn't off brand

Beagle runs the Bridgestone R280 with a decouple groove...long to meduium haul.

I run the Bridgestone R260 because most of our trips end up in the mountains around Fresno.

If you are driving long distance, a steer tire is fine, RY083A. Shorter distances, and lots of winding roads, you might look at a tire with a solid shoulder rib, i.e. M122 or RY023

Either tire you have picked is fine. Personally, I would stay away from the 083A and go with the RY023 which is for regional hauling.

Have you priced Firestone or BF Goodrich? Both are good quality and a step above the Kumho. IMHPO

Happy Alpining
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #12

I've read several posts, many that are older posts on other forums, that Toyo's are not recommended for RV use due to problems. I did a lot of research including going to the Toyo website and there is no indication of Toyo not recommending their tire for RV use, in fact there is an "RV Car and Use" area of their website. There is also a page about the CC and National RV advisory that appears to not be a tire problem afterall.

Basically, I'm not a Toyo chearleader but I don't want to see mis-information stated as fact. Toyo does market and sell their tire to the RV market.

From everything I've read Toyo makes a solid tire.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand tire rated properly. I would stay away from off-brands such as Kumho for this application.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 AM   #13

I finally found the info on the Toyo's I put on our 36' Alpine.

M124Z - 295/75R22.5 Which is considered a low profile and was a direct replacement for the OEM's that came off the coach. Here is a link to the Toyo spec sheet. It is approved for RV use as noted.

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/27554.pdf

Also, for your reference is the sheet on the M122 tire you are considering:

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/30183.pdf

Looks like they both would work well.

Once again, I'm not saying Toyo's are better then any other name brand just giving information that might help.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #14

So here is part of the text that started the Toyo controversy.

" It (NHTSA) recently completed an investigation into reports of failures of Toyo tires on Country Coach motor homes. A total of 44 Toyo front tire failures on Country Coach motor homes were reported between October 2001 and June 2006. Several of the tire failures resulted in injuries.

One death has been linked in a Toyo tire failure: On July 3, 2003, a Country Coach RV equipped with Toyo front tires crashed into a tree near Mound III, resulting in a fatality. Post-crash photographic evidence indicated that he left front tire failed and likely caused or contributed to the crash, according to NHTSA.

In response to the NHTSA investigation, Country Coach last June (2006) filed a defect report stating that the Toyo tires were defective and "could fail unexpectedly, causing a loss of vehicle control." In October 2006, Country Coach said it would replace Toyo tires with Michelin tires on its RV's."

I don't think any manufacturer is installing TOYO tires as OEM but that doesn't mean they do not make a good tire now. Just note there is some history behind the rumors.

If the replacement tire is low profile you need to check that the outside diameter is the same as the original, otherwise the odometer will not read correctly. The Yokohama RY023 is the same diameter as the Toyo M120.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote