Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

New Tires again

My tires and I have both now aged 5 years. I wish I could replace parts of me as easily as replacing the tires. I'm sticking with Goodyear G670. The Schwab dealer in Redmond says I should replace or rebuild the steel valve stems and balance. I have centramatics and except for the outer edge front tire ware everything seems to be fine. He'll give me about $100 for each core. The charge is about $4000. Your comments and help will be most appreciated. Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #2

I plan to save a few bucks on tires next time around. What w/my rear blowout @ 2.5 years, and Basil's front on the Goodyears, the high price doesn't seem warranted. Mine looked like a tread separation; maybe I coulda spotted it w/more regular full-circumference up-close inspections of the tread.
I plan on checking out Continental; an Alpiner who had a trucking firm went to these and swears they are everything he wants in a tire except the upcharge for the letters "RV" on the casing.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Chris,

I phoned 6 tire shops for pricing on the Goodyear G670 295-80R22.5 tires. That included two Les Schwabs in OR (I thought I'd save a pile of money not paying state sales tax in OR). The best price (about $3500) was Pete's Road Service (with 9 So Cal locations). [Note: they had no access to any 2010 tires.]

Then we went to the FMCA Rally at Albuquerque in March and I went to the Camping World exhibit. They had a Goodyear rep there (a Goodyear employee) and a wonderful sale on the G670. I saved a cool thousand!

The only hitch was that there were no G670's in the Goodyear distribution system with a "Born On Date" fresher than 2008. I insisted on 2010 tires and was told I'd have to wait about 3 weeks. It ended up being a shade over 4 weeks, but I've got 6 new tires, all "born" in the 15th week (April) of 2010.

So, you might want to hold off until the Redmond Rally in August and see if there are any 'great' prices to be had.

And, no matter what you buy, remember to check the date codes on the tires.

Good luck!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I just bought 6 new 295/80R22.5's in Des Moines for $3,332.98 which includes mounting, Equal, new stems, FET and $174.76 in local sales tax.

I would not do the Equal again.

There is also a rebate from Goodyear for $30 per tire which will reduce the above by another $180.00........

They are dated 1310.

They would not give me anything for my 6 year old Toyo's. (about 70% tread left)

I really wanted Bridgestones but was told by the dealer that there were NONE to be had and it would be 6-8 weeks before he could get them.

For what its worth, I think the Toyos rode and handled better.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
I just bought 6 new 295/80R22.5's in Des Moines for $3,332.98 which includes mounting, Equal, new stems, FET and $174.76 in local sales tax.

There is also a rebate from Goodyear for $30 per tire which will reduce the above by another $180.00........

They are dated 1310.

They would not give me anything for my 6 year old Toyo's. (about 70% tread left)

I really wanted Bridgestones but was told by the dealer that there were NONE to be had and it would be 6-8 weeks before he could get them.

I just replaced my original tires with the Bridgestone 11R22.5 R250 ED (H rating). The out the door price for 6 tires, including alignment and balancing was $2589. The same dealer carried all the other brands except Goodyear (i.e. Michelin, Continental, Yokohama, etc.) but said the Bridgestone was the best value. He would have been happy to sell me the others for about $700 more but did not recommend them. Date code was 0410. Just finished a 2500 mile trip with the Bridgestones and even the DW remarked how well they rode. So count me among the happy Bridgestone owners.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #6

Smile

Just got 6 Toyos (all steering) in San Diego at Al Archards Tire dated 2010, with nitrogen, out the door for $2900. Had to wait a couple of weeks for recent dates.
Please don't tell me, even if it was a bad deal, I prefer to sail blissfully thru the rocks & shoals of the RV sea! Unless of course, if Toyo has lost 73 multi million $ product liability cases, had 7000 or so recalls and there is a class action law suit I should join.
MAC&ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

For those in the East we had a blowout but decided to stay with Goodyears anyway almost 48.000 miles four and half years on the coach. Service Tire Truck Center in Milford Delaware treated us great 302-422-1585. Mike the Manager went over above what anyone else would do for us to get 2010 tires. Did not guaranty but said he would try, well our tires were three weeks new when had them installed. Paid $520 per tire out the door, they installed our new Smart Tire sensors, balanced the front tires and new valves and stems on all. Very satisfied and recommend them highly. A quick note other Service Tire Truck Centers would not install the sensors.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Chris, 4,000 DOLLARS, look out. Were you wearing your Rolex, all the gold chains, and pulling your Range Rover HSE? Schwab has good service, but not always good prices.

2500 to 3000 sounds about right. Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Conti, they are all pretty much in the same category. I purchased my Bridgestone R260 based on price and performance and tread depth.

Remember to ask for a trade in allowance. If your tires are only 5-6 years old, they are going to get sold as a set, or one at a time on the freeway for $150-$175. A trucker will wear those out in a year or so.

MAC&ANNE....you got a great deal!!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #9

Add me again to the list along with Tom and Patty that like our Bridgestone R260's in 295/80R22.5. Extra tread depth, stonger casings, and mileage experience convinced me. Plus lowering the air pressure 20 psi on each tire from the Toyo 11R22.5's really helped the ride a lot.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
All,

The FMCA Albuquerque Rally Show Special Pricing, from Camping World, for 6 tires, mounted and balanced with new valve stems, tire disposal fee, CA state sales tax was $2,441.00 out the door.

The Goodyear rep that was at the Albuquerque FMCA Rally told me that CW and he will be at the Redmond Rally with special pricing (but he doesn't know how much).

Good Luck!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #11

Might check out the Goodyear/Kelly KRH Armorsteel and get a quote.
BTF
05 40FDQS

Tire Size11R22.5, Load RangeH, Max Speed (mph)75, Max Tire Load (Single) 6610, Max Tire Load (Dual) 6005, Overall Width 10.9", Overall Diameter 41.5"
Old 06-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post

They are dated 1310.

Jeff: Why don't you like the equal?

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
It was very uncomfortable to drive. It made my front mirrors vibrate and made the streering wheel shake. Took it back to the GY dealer and asked them to take it out and spin balance them. 100% better now.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I too have had less than satisfactory preformance with EQUAL and will not only not use it again I just sent six coach tire size bags of EQUAL back for refund.

I also ended up having the wheels spun balanced which made a considerable improvement over the EQUAL.

During the NorCal ACA rally I am having Les Schwab in Bend, OR install & spin balance six Bridgestone 11R22.5, load range H, R280's for $ 2,231.34.

I had called 7 tire shops, including 5 Les Schwabs and got 7 different prices for the same tires and services.

Harold

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote