Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
New Transfer Switch

I want to give a big thank you to Jim Munsil for helping me and my great-nephew diagnose the recent problem with the power monitoring/transfer switch in my 2006 Apex. Many of you know that I am winging it on my own this year without Chuck. I miss him a lot but know his spirit is with me.

My great-nephew helped me drive the Apex from Indiana to Florida in December. The trip was fairly uneventful until it was plugged into shore power at the park and would not stay engaged. Having remembered Jim's expertise in helping a fellow Alpiner with a similar problem at a rally, I called him. He explained to us how to check it. We had power at the pedestal, he had me start the generator and the air conditioners and the power transferred to it correctly and held. I shut that down and tried the shore power again. It would not stay engaged. My great-nephew who owns a construction company and is familiar with equipment such as generators/transfer switches removed the cover of the transfer switch and we could see the relay was clicking in and out. He tried tightening all the wires and they were already tight. Jim explained that we could switch the wires between the generator and the shore power to get me by but I elected not to do that. The park had already said I could run the generator during non-quiet hours to keep the batteries charged until I could get it repaired. Interestingly enough, the residents near me never heard the generator. It may have been their diminished hearing but I'd rather believe it was because of the quiet Onan generator, Ha!

We ran a separate cord to the pedestal to keep the residential refrigerator from depleting the batteries. This worked well until the breaker for that and the receptacle failed. So I had to put the refrigerator back on the inverter until the park could get the pedestal repaired. My new Lifeline batteries held up wonderfully and the charging time was very minimal compared to the previous wet cell batteries (6 years old). I ordered the new transfer switch online from RV Upgrades online and it was promised in two days but arrived in one day. It was $300 cheaper than what I could get it locally in 3 - 5 days. I had the RV technician standing by and it was installed the day after arrival.

Then, I had another problem in that I lost communication with the Silverleaf on my TV. It kept telling me I needed to power it down. I tried the switches in the battery compartment to no avail. Jim called to see how things were going and I explained the problem to him. Previously, we had to get behind the TV and unplug the Silverleaf box to power it down and I was not looking forward to that. Jim had me go to the breaker box in the hallway and turn the Inverter breaker off and back on. Walah! It was reset. The other thing discovered as Jim and I were discussing switches in the battery compartment was that the Cummins shop that installed the new batteries had left the emergency switch that ties the two battery banks together set to tie them together. So that was corrected during this. I thank God that Chuck encouraged me to learn all I could about this motorhome and wanted me to continue doing what we loved to do! Happy New Year fellow Alpiners. Who knows I may see at a rally one of these days!

BTW: I am trying to find the post explaining how one of you repaired the water service bay floor on the driver's side of the motorhome. The floor on the outside needs repaired and I have an RV technician to do it but he wanted me to find out what kind of board is best to use. If any of you could let me know what you used, I would sure appreciate it. I read the post a long time ago but can't seem to locate it.

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck & Marca View Post

Then, I had another problem in that I lost communication with the Silverleaf on my TV. It kept telling me I needed to power it down. I tried the switches in the battery compartment to no avail. Jim called to see how things were going and I explained the problem to him. Previously, we had to get behind the TV and unplug the Silverleaf box to power it down and I was not looking forward to that. Jim had me go to the breaker box in the hallway and turn the Inverter breaker off and back on. Walah! It was reset...

BTW: I am trying to find the post explaining how one of you repaired the water service bay floor on the driver's side of the motorhome. The floor on the outside needs repaired and I have an RV technician to do it but he wanted me to find out what kind of board is best to use. If any of you could let me know what you used, I would sure appreciate it. I read the post a long time ago but can't seem to locate it.
Wow, a name from the original list of early Apex owners brings back memories of problems that still rear their ugly heads 8 years later.

Silverleaf/TV. Saw that so many times that I marked the circuit breaker that powers the TV for some future owner after Gary who can fix anything.

Service Bay Floor Repair. The pictures are of a scab on repair I did in a small RV park in Texas not wanting to tear out the whole bottom of the coach. Not pretty but it worked. I used 1/4" tile underlay board which is water proof. I also added an access panel for the hose reel so you could get at it without removing a bunch of stuff.

Others like Sully had a more extensive floor replacement covered under insurance. Somebody must have details on how that was done. More than I could have handled swatting mosquitoes on the gulf coast of Texas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	82474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	82475  

Name:	img_0109.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	82476   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0110.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	82477  

Name:	img_0112.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	82478   Click image for larger version

Name:	service bay floor repair.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	82479  

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Basil for the information. Great to hear from other dinosaurs in the early APEX world. Or maybe we were the pioneers, Ha! The only part that I need done is the portion on the outside. The rest of the floor under the hose reel, transfer switch, and Hydrohot appear to be OK at this point in time. Tris and Carolyn also responded via e-mail on what they had used for their repair. He used 1/2" Hardy concrete backing board. I have passed the information on to the RV technician. Not sure how that differs from what you used. When you got finished, did you then have only one opening for the electric cord, sewer hose, and water hose? It looks like that is what you did. Hope you are having a good winter. Say "Hi" to Sue for me.
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch