Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

New Xantrex Fan

I had the pleasure of changing one of the fans in our RS2000 Xantrex Inverter/charger. There are two fans, one runs continuously and the other intermittently depending on the temperature. I replaced the one that runs continuously and my inverter is mounted to the bulkhead in the last basement opening in front of the rear wheel. (34' Alpine) With the unit mounted there it had to come off the wall. (weighs about 85#) If you have a slide out it is a real trip to get the inverter to clear the rail of the slide because it is mounted on 4 studs that are about 2 inches too long. I did make it without having to remove the slide rail. I replaced the fan with a # 2RTF9 muffin fan from Grainger. It is is a perfect match except slightly less amps. About $ 20.00 or more as we are a distributor. Fan is easy. Getting the unit down and off the studs and back on is not fun but completed. The little 2" old fan sounded like it was a 20" blade hitting a sheet metal panel. Hard to believe the racket it made.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ted III

If I remember correctly, you store your unit plugged in 24/7. I do the same. Does this mean that I should change the fan soon to avoid a failure at an inopportune time? How many hours are these fans rated for?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #3

Inverter fan

Jerry, you are correct, I do leave my coach plugged in 24/7. That has been true since the day I got it which was mid March 0f 05. So I got 4 years out of it. Whether that's good or bad I have no idea. I think you would be smart to have a spare sitting around. Xantrex must have hit a sale on very small flat head phillips machine screws as they used a lot of them. You need a 7/16" deep 1/4" drive socket with about a 6" extension for the nuts on the top of the inverter and a thin 7/16" ratcheting box wrench for the bottom nuts. I left the bottom middle one out when I re-assembled because of the slide rail. It was not worth all the effort. There are nuts on all the studs behind the inverter. When you have, if ever, the inverter down tighten those nuts on the studs. That is important. Don't ask.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #4

Ted-
1) is the other fan the same model?
2) since you are a distributor, what is the cost for a pair shipped to zip code 95603?
3) Do you take PayPal?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ted III

I just crawled into my back bay to check out the RS 2000. My coach is a 36' FDDS and there seems to be enough room around the box to reach the screws that attach the front cover. Is there more to remove than the front cover to access the fan in question? If not, why drop the whole 70lb unit?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #6

Xantrex Fan

Jerry, You are right that the front cover can be removed to get to the heat dissapating fan. This is not the fan that went bad. The fan that runs continuously is in the back of the inverter. It has to come off that bulkhead. If you figure a better way I sure am interested.

Mike, as astute and sharp as I am, no I did not get the info off of the front fan. At least I can tell you it is rather easy to get to but that does not help in having a spare. I did talk to Xantrex when I was having the problem as I had no clue there was a second fan. They did give me the parameters on the fan. I would certainly think they would give the same info on the other fan. No we do not take Paypal nor is it necessary. When I get to they office I will get you the cost on the fan and ship however many you want and let you know the cost. Send me a check or give me a CC number.
If you do get the info on the other fan please share. Let me know what you would like me to do for you.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
MRL

Our fan has finally quit too, after only a little over a year of full time use. The unit still works without it, but is not currently plugged in. Xantrex wants us to ship it to them to replace the fan. They say the fan is rated for 20 yrs. I would say no, not after reading about all of the failed fans. Here are my questions: Does the system retain it's settings when the unit is disconnected? Does anyone have a picture of the unit with the bottom cover removed? What are the specs of the original fan? If you keep the unit elevated, can you do the swap without removing the AC & DC cables? (The installation manual says to torque the DC cable bolts to 15-16 ft/lbs.) Could someone make a checklist for the procedure to swap the fan. Also, is there a good-better-best fan to use, or is the consensus to use the closest fit, as there really is not a muffin fan that can be run 24/7?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ted,

When I was checking the unit it was the front fan that seemed to be running continuously. Could I have a different unit?...........I don't think so. What did Xantrex have to say about which fans run the most? Or should both fans be changed out at the same time?

Has anyone else had both fans out?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ok, after reading the owner's manual and again checking out the unit I see that there is a bottom internal exhaust fan that runs continuously and a top external intake fan (Xantrex's terminology) that runs intermittently to help cool the unit as needed. The bottom of the unit is bolted to the vertical bulkhead. Is there no way to change the internal exhaust fan without removing the entire RS2000 unit from the vertical bulkhead? Can you not get to the internal fan by removing the top cover of the unit?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #10

Jerry, to my knowledge the only way you can get at the other fan is to take the unit off of the bulkhead. The rear cover is held on by about 20 small flat head screws which must be removed to access the fan. If you find a better way please let me know. It really is not that big of a deal. If you have a slide rail there possibly it would be easier to get it out of the way. The unit is held on to the bulkhead by 6 - 7/16" hex nuts.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #11

Raymond, I did not disconnect any of the cables when I took the unit off the bulkhead. As I mentioned to Jerry it is held onto the bulkhead by 6 nuts. See last post to Jerry Davis. It is not a muffin fan, that was my terminology as that is what it looks like. The fan I found is listed as an axial fan?? Personally I felt it was a better fan than the one Xantrex used but at this point I have no feel for the longevity of the new fan. I am certain there are other fans available. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
My inverter does not mount like the ones in the Limited's, but the inverter is the same. Here is link to a thread with my information on the fan. I have bought fans for my entertainment cabinets from the same source. I just go thru their list of fans to find the one of proper size and flow and look for the quietest one.

RS2000 Inverter Fan Noise
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Dale,

Couldn't find an exact match to your ADDA part# and the link to Frozencpu does not show which fan you purchased. Which fan would you recommend for longest life regardless of cost? I would like to have one on hand so that I could replace it quickly if necessary.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Ted;

How did you know to replace the fan? Did it just get quiet in your storage area or did you get some kind of fault code or other indication that the fan had failed?

Harold
2006 Alpine 36MDDS
being pushed by a
2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote