Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
New Xantrex - not charging

With the control panel showing good AC voltage in, the battery status reads 11.7 volts with a negative 4amp instead of a positive for charging. Looking at the unit in the basement, it's status light indicates the unit is in a charge mode and is producing DC for charging. With these contradicting indications, where do I start troubleshooting?

Thanks.

jddavisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
You haven't identified the model of Xantrex Inverter/Charger. Sounds like a Freedom SW Series like my new SW2012. I might be able to help you if that's your model.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, it is the Freedom SW 2012.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I assume you installed the new SCP and that's where you're getting status.

First, the SW2012 is VERY cranky about needing the new BTS (Battery Temperature Sensor). If you had the old Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger you can NOT use the old BTS! The top line of the SCP should display the current temperature reading.

Second, make sure that the Charger is "Enabled" in the settings and the mode is "Operating". Select it even if it looks like it's displaying "Operating".

If the above doesn't work for you, go to the "Advanced" settings and reset the Inverter/Charger to the "Factory Default" settings which causes a total reset that will last several seconds. The only specific configuration change I've made is entering the total battery capacity which is based upon your house battery string. If you have batteries other than wet cells, you'll need to configure the battery type to make sure the charging rate is correct.

My SW2012 actually worked correctly without the SCP because I did not realize that it required a Cat5 cable as opposed to the original RJ11 cable. As soon as I connected the new SCP it quit charging. I then contacted Xantrex who declared that the new BTS is required. I installed the BTS and it started working normally.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
The replaced inverter was the RS2000. Was there a BTS with that model, and if so, is it compatible with the 2012? Thanks
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Found a BTS attached, don't know if it came with the new unit, yet there is no temp readout on the SCP.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I'd sure like an answer to the BTS question too as it looks like the BTS wasn't swapped out when our RS2000 was replaced with the SW2012. If you don't know, I'll call Xantrex tomorrow and post the answer here.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Look on top of the house batteries for the BTS as Xantrex recommended that it be installed on a negative post of a battery. The old BTS was a small cylinder with an eyelet for the battery terminal. The new BTS that came with the SW2012 is basically a rectangular gray shape also with an eyelet for attaching to a battery terminal.

You really need to determine what's going on with the BTS. My SCP would display "Bulk" charge status without the BTS but the DC amps displayed a negative value indicating that the batteries were discharging.

A short tern solution might be to disconnect the SCP from the SW2012 and reset it manually. My SW2012 operated normally until I connected the SCP without the new BTS. You can check the status lights on the SW2012 without an SCP. There is a charge light that should be solid green and the Inverter Enabled light flashing green if enabled but connected to shore power.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
On our SW2012, the inverter enabled/gen support lamp is stead on and the pass through/charging lamp is flashing. We are connected to shore power.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
No charging happens with the SCP connected and unconnected. The BTS is on a neg post, but I found the BTS cord plugged into the Stacking port. Get a temp reading now with BTS plugged into the BTS port, but still no charging. Am plugged into shore power and charging light flashes green with invert steady. SCP indicates good AC coming into coach/inverter. Inverter is operational and charging is enabled. Any more ideas?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #11

I wonder if charging is affected by stacking. If stacking allows two inverters stacked off a single battery bank (the two chargers would have to communicate their parallel intents), then a reboot or better- reset to factory defaults, then reboot, then reset parameters to your config would be in order. Unless you knew for a fact the unit did not derive any "stacked" configuration from having the BTS plugged into the stacking port.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
You could email this guy at Xantrex. "Michael Mui" <re.techsupport@schneider-electric.com> He confirmed that the RS2000 BTS works with the SW2012. Hope that helps.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
JD,

Now that you're SCP is displaying the temperature, you probably need to reset the system. Do a soft reset by using the System Settings on the SCP set the "Invert" to "Enabled", "AC Charge" to "Enabled", "Cascading" to "Disabled" and "System Mode" to "Operating". NOTE: Even if these settings appear to be already set press the "Enter" button to set them again. The "System Mode" setting in particular should cause a "soft reset". It should go to status display and indicate that it's charging.

If the soft reset doesn't work. I recommend to do a "Reset to factory defaults" in the "Advanced" settings of the "FSW2012" identified on the SCP display "Menu". Your manual explains how to access the "Advanced" settings and perform a hard reset.

I had one Technical Support technician at Xantrex tell me to disconnect ALL the connections (DC & AC) for atleast 30 - minutes and then reconnect them. Are you kidding!? After putting all that work into installing it the last thing I'm going to do is uninstall it!!! I eventually talked to a different technician (name?) and he had me do the hard reset. VOILA! I changed the battery capacity setting and it's worked automatically ever since. Try it. You won't hurt it.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #14

I know this may sound stupid but I fooled around with my inverter the other day only to find the plug on the shore power wasn't making a good connection and the coach wasn't getting any power. Wasn't charging and batteries were getting low fast.

Tags
charging