Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #1

Neway Rear Suspension ADL-120-7

Does anyone know if the rear suspension used on 2000 Alpines is a Neway/Holland ADL-120-7? The serial number plate is missing on mine.

The -7 in the part number indicates the ride height in inches. I have the ride height specification for my Alpine from WRV and it shows the ride height is 7.5". According to the Neway documentation the ride height should be 7", 8" or 9".

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Tom; If you look at the this post you will find the measurements for the Alpine ride height.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Hi Dave,

I'm actually trying to find out the model number of my rear air springs without removing one of them. After talking to Holland/Neway they said if I knew the model number of my rear suspension assembly he could tell me the air spring part number. Since my bags are 12 years old I want to be equipped with the spring part number just in case I need to have one replaced on the road before I replace them myself.

The challenge is the Neway models are in even increments for their ride height of 7", 8" or 9". The documentation from WRV says the ride height is 7.5". WRV either either over extended the 7" springs or shortened up the 8" springs.

Hope this helps.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

According to BirdDog, a 2009 invoice (that included work to repair brake line rubbing on rear bag on his 2006 M.Y. Alpine) shows the rear air bag part# 90557311, mfgr probably Holland, as that matches nomenclature for the Holland# 90557023 given for front air bag in another thread.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

I believe your rear unit is AD-200. According to the Neway manual the -7 can have a ride height of 7" or 7.5". The brochure for your coach (see ACA Tech site) says the air bags are 15" at the rear which I assume is diameter since the air spring height in the Neway manual is 10.5".
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Tom I found more info regarding the Air Bags. Not much info for the rear but I did find part numbers for the front. I hope this info helps with some of your questions.

Front 10.31 model AS-120 (Measurement for front is taken from bottom of coach frame to top of axle I beam).
Front Air Bags
Triangle: AS-8311
Firestone: W01 358 9039
Goodyear: 1R12-095
Holland: 90557023

Rear - 10.5 model AD-200 (Measurements for rear is taken from bottom of coach frame to bottom of airbag).
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

To close this out, the correct air spring for the AD-200-7 rear suspension used on early coaches is safholland (Neway) 90557161, Triangle 8492, Firestone W01-358-9482. For some reason not many distributors stock this.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
To close this out, the correct air spring for the AD-200-7 rear suspension used on early coaches is safholland (Neway) 90557161, Triangle 8492, Firestone W01-358-9482. For some reason not many distributors stock this.
Does a 2000 Alpine 36' Coach fit the description as an 'Early coach'? I am planning on having my 12 year old air springs replaced.

Thanks
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

I wish I knew the answer to that question. In 1998 WRV only made a 36' coach but in 1999 they introduced the 40'. It appears from the specs that the 40' had a different rear suspension so my info on the air spring probably does not apply to the 40' models. I do not know when Neway stopped making the AD-200 and WRV starting using an alternative, perhaps EMike has knowledge of that. The only safe thing to do is remove one of the air springs and compare it to the dimensions on the Firestone website, unless you are lucky and there is still a label on it.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #10

Air springs are easy to remove, only tough requirements are sufficient jack & sufficient jack stands for safety. Otherwise just bolts & fittings.
Numbers are stamped on top of air bag on the metal flange in most cases. I believe you could remove one & take it into one of several locations in east Sacramento, or Sacramento Truck Service (Freightliner) off Norwood Ave/Hwy 80 (or phone) for pricing & timing of replacements.

When you have the part#, thanks for posting it here for posterity.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8dave View Post
Does a 2000 Alpine 36' Coach fit the description as an 'Early coach'? I am planning on having my 12 year old air springs replaced.

Thanks
Hi Dave, I think a 2000 is considered an early model. I think the first ones were in 98. I have a 99. My air bags still look ok. I have owned 5 semi trailers and 5 semi trucks all with 4 bags on each unit, that totals 40 bags. I can only recal 2 failures over a period of 19 years and several million miles. The first failure was on the newest trailer. It is amazing how long they will run even when they are showing severe cracks. The time to really see the cracks is when the bags are deflated If you should have one to completely fail, the coach is still drivable although it may not be real comfortable. It may not be a bad idea to carry a spare if you are concerned. Neway air ride is very popular on big trucks, most any truck or trailer shop should have or be able to order for you. I have been away from the trucking industry for 3 years, but I would expect to pay from $120 to 145. each. good wishes, old trucker
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

I replaced both my rear air springs this week. Although the rubber looks OK from a distance there was cracking along the top and bottom roll edges and also the top plate was badly rusted. The new bag comes with a replacement bracket but the original was good so I removed the new one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	33009
The bottom nut was rusted solid and I ended up having to saw the stud off. It would have been easier to install the new bag if I could have dropped the axle a little more by removing the shock but I didn't have a big enough wrench to get the top bolt out. A little levering got it in eventually. I got the Firestone W01-358-9482 bags from Truckspring.com. This is for the Neway AD-200-7 used on early coaches.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #13

john-
Thanks for confiming that part#, and for the air spring source.

I'm sure that many of the earlier coaches should be getting around to replacing air bags due to age of the rubber. None of us air bags last forever.

Tags
suspension