Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #1

This is my first experience with this condition.
I have no A.C. power throughout the coach to include input to Xantrex control panel. This condition exists when running the gen.set & also when plugged into shore power. One item common to these two power sources is the auto transfer switch. Does this sound like it might be the culprit (auto transfer switch)?
Are there A.C. fuses related to the transfer switch that I'm not aware of?
Any help would be very much appreciated!!!
Dennis Winquist
2006 Alpine Limited

Dennis & Julie Winquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

This is my first experience with this condition.
I have no A.C. power throughout the coach to include input to Xantrex control panel. This condition exists when running the gen.set & also when plugged into shore power. One item common to these two power sources is the auto transfer switch. Does this sound like it might be the culprit (auto transfer switch)?
Are there A.C. fuses related to the transfer switch that I'm not aware of?
Any help would be very much appreciated!!!
Dennis Winquist
2006 Alpine Limited

Dennis & Julie Winquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #3

Sounds like xfer switch. There are recent threads on this. Your problem, given vintage of coach) might only be main connections to switch, or it could be the contactor. Your vintage coach is known to have had sloppy electrical connections, insufficient length of insulation stripped (so the connection included smashed insulation & therefore was a lousy connection). You can follow the electrical cord to find the xfer switch on the ceiling of the rear storage bay. Unplug from shore power & shut off the inverter; open the face of the switch and you will see both the incoming/outgoing electrical cables and the contactor. Using a good pair of pliers you can wiggle the cables near their termintations to see if any are loose. If not you can remove the contactor & get a new one @ home depot or a local electrical supply place (if you are in Newport you may have to drive to a town to get the part).

If that doesn't work, don't try it.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #4

Dennis,

I had the same symptoms on my 2006 coach in December. See this URL:

No AC power from Generator or Shore power
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If you have not already fixed the problem, and as I think Dale's link explains, many peoples unit have electrical issues, not defects in the correct sense of the word, more like very poor quality control. My first move after you review Dale's post is to turn of the inverter, unplug the coach, turn off all breakers (110V) inside, and make sure all switches for house and chassis are in the off position. Take the cover off the transfer switch/surge guard, and make sure all the wires in that box have the insulation on the wires stripped off enough, then (do them one at a time so you don't get confused which one goes where), then retighten the connection real good, and as an added precaution, put some Vaseline petroleum jelly over the wire, just enough to coat it, but not so it will run out when hot. This is to keep any corrosion from affecting the connection. This should fix anything concerning that unit. That is unless its burned up, then, if the extended warranty you have will pay for the labor and a new unit, then you are in good shape, if not, read forum for the best one to replace it with. If you are not mechanical then find a friend who is, and please make sure he is, not that he says he is. The best advice is to search this forum for any electrical issues and read all the posts you find.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Oh, forgot, assuming, your switch is in the door behind the services center(outside shower, city water fill, sewer dump, etc) there is an inner door, that is where mine is located. If yours is in a different place, I don't think my next suggestion will help, but make sure any and all metal brackets that switch is attached to are tight, mine were all loose, and had started to wear a hole in my gray water tank. To combat that issue, I put silcone rubber sitck on feet behind the screw, and put rubber caps over the threads of the screws. This should stop this from happening again. However, I inspected this again, and road vibration keeps pusging the bracket back into the tank. I am going to see if a board placed behind it will keep it from moving again. I have tightened all the bolts on the bracket so tight I am afraid I will break them.

See this post and read the thread: Poor engineering by WRV cost $300 yesterday

This should help as well.