Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

No AC Power inside coach

We have no AC power inside the coach. We have a 2006 36' mid-door Alpine coach. On the surge-guard monitor, we have 126 volts at each leg. On the Xantrex System Control Panel, the light at the ACin/charge is off. The Fault light is on. On the Control Panel Screen, the one and only item on the fault list is "Node O FO".

I'm thinking there's no discharge power from the surge-guard. If that's the case, how does one reset the breakers within the surge-guard? Are there breakers or fuses within the Xantrex RS2000 inverter?

We do have 12v inside the coach. Has anyone experienced these conditions?

Does anyone know what the Fault information"Node O FO" indicates?
We are also unable to clear the Fault and can find no information in our paper work or on-line with Xantrex. If anyone has information on how to clear the fault, we would also appreciate that.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis Winquist
New info: I have learned how the breakers within the surge-guard reset themselvers (moving between shore power and genset). We are hooked up to shore power and there is 123 volts on the discharge side of the surge-guard/transfer switch at each leg.

We have done the reset, still no AC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have an 09 Damon Tuscany so I do not know if this will help but I had similar problem. Come to find out there was a small white rod sticking out of the bottom of my inverter. All the controls and such were on the side and I never thought to look underneath until midnight! Anyways, it was the reset button for the inverter. Pushed in and all fixed! Something so simple baffled me for over 14 hours! You should have some sort of reset somewhere. Another thing the Tech mentioned was to remove the the positve and negative leads, let set for about 5 minutes, then reattach. Be sure that the negative lead is the last off and the first on. Very important! Hope this helps.

roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #3

Possibly your transfer switch is bad. Have you run your generator to see if you have AC from that. If so the transfer switch is more than likely not working. Normally you have to replace it. In our coach it is on the ceiling of the basement in the center almost at the rear bulkhead. About a 10" square black box about 4" deep. If I remember correctly there are 4 screws that hold the cover on. Remember that if you are plugged in or the generator is running the wire leads and contacts are HOT. TAKE CARE.
Hopefully this helps.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Have you tried resetting the circuit breakers in the main house circuit breaker panel for the inverter? Hard all the way off and then back on.
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #5

Dennis,

Your problem might be related to the Transfer Switch. See these related links:

No AC power from Generator or Shore power
Electrical Transfer Switch
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #6

Number Message
Fault
Type Cause Solution
F0

is too hot and has
shut down. See
guide.
Automatic FET1 Over
Temperature Shutdown
Clear the fault and attempt
restart. Ensure adequate
ventilation around the RS2000.
Reduce AC loads

This is from the RS2000 manual. Do you have power to non-inverter circuits (refridgerator, air conditioner). If so, do a reset on the inverter (hold reset button for 5 seconds) and see if that helps. You may have lost a fan in the inverter. These can be replaced.

Report back your findings.

Ken

Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

Just like elbows, everyone has opinions--my money is on Dale777. If the inverter were at "fault", you would still have AC power to a portion of yr coach[eg, the non-inverted curcuits(roof A/Cs, water heater etc)]. Assuming you are getting AC thru yr surge guard but no AC to the inverter or rest of coach suggests its the transfer switch [AC side].
Options: 1]the generator side of the t-switch may still work so you can run the generator as a temp. 2]You can by-pass/rewire the t-switch until you get a replacement. Several replacements are available--the Lyght DC-model is much quieter than the original AC-model in the coach. There are several sources on the Internet for less than $200. My experience--CW or a local RV shop will rip you off big-time. Its easy enough to replace yourself if you are comfortable with electrical issues.
PS--the wire connections in the t-switch are subject to loosening over time[poor installation], could be just a loose wire.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #8

This is an UPDATE on the conditions from Dennis Winquist!!!
Thanks everyone for your Help!!

Currently we have power into the main panel and power at the breakers out of the main panel & all of those circuits are hot (Both A/C units, general purpose, refer, 10 gallon water heater. (we have no washer/dryer, dishwasher or hydrohot)

Items in the coach that do NOT receive power are the microwave, entertainment center-these are loads fed from the subpanel through the inverter.

The source of the problem seems to be the inverter.

I have reset the breaker in both breaker panels (main panel & sub panel) & have also tried to reset the inverter all to no avail.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #9

Last option I would try is unhook the 12v power to the inverter, at the battery area. Hook back up and see if that helped.

If the inverter is bad, you can bypass it by installing a jumper wire from the main panel to the inverter sub-panel, using the two breakers that the inverter is currently hooked up to. At least you'll have power. Remember to unhook power at the pedestal first.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #10

Dennis- First thing to try is the red panic (i.e. reboot) button on the inverter; it is on the gray plate w/the LEDs. Might try cycling the Vansco system also (chassis battery disconnect off/wait 10 seconds/on), the do the inverter reboot again.

If that doesn't cut the mustard, the transfer switch in the inverter is suspect. You have to go spelunking in the 110V wiring sections of the inverter to check that. don't do this unless you are safe working around live 110V wiring.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #11

No AC is fixed with new inverter

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting ideas. Being comfortable chasing down AC power and learning no input existed to the sub panel (on gen set power), it seemed the Xantrax Inverter failed.

The Xantrax RS 2000did in fact fail, we now have a Magnum Energy MS Series K inverter, It sure is nice, easy to use control panel, easy parameter set up.

Thanks again for ALL the help & safe travels to all.

Dennis Winquist
Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, how long did it take you to install the Magnum, if my Xantrex fails that is most likely where I am going. Everyone tells me they are superior to Xantrex. You have to throw the Xantrex away if it fails, although my instructor says he knows someone who fixes the boards in them, but then you have to wait for the board. I have a Master Tech, who is a dealer for them and swears they are great. Thank you in advance.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #13

The installation took about 2 hours for the inverter and an hour for the control panel.

Dennis