Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Geoff,

FWIW ... My SW2012 would not respond to enabling & disabling the inverter & charger via the SCP. I had the inverter diagnosed to determine why the fans keep running 24/7 and then discovered that the SCP control was working OK when I re-installed it. The Authorized Service Center declared that resetting it must have cleared some "electronic brain" issues. I don't know if a 458 would act the same way but you could try re-installing it to see if the AC is working correctly after being totally reset. It's a little work but I can reconnect mine without totally re-installing it. Perhaps you can do the same before taking it to Seattle.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re-Reading thread.. problem is internal to the inverter.

Inside the inverter is a 2nd ATS. it's frozen in "INVERTER" mode.. When you have shore poiwer the presence of shore power causes the inverter to switch to "Battery Charger" mode. it's no longer making 120vac

But the ATS built into the inverter is welded/frozen in INVERTER mode so it will not to return to SHORE mode.

Sorry.. I do not know how to fix it. (Well I do Replace the switches (Solenoids) but How to do that on your inverter I do not know, (How to do it on MINE I hope I never find out).

Old 09-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #31

Hi Bob

I do have the time so I will try temporarily reinstalling and see what happens...I may try a little tap with the hammer to see if I can prod it back to life! BTW what is the SCP? I talked to Seattle and they will charge 89$ to bench test and diagnose so that to me is worth it to find out what is wrong.

Geoff

wa8 I wish I knew how to even find switches and solenoids and relays in my inverter!!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
The SCP is the "System Control Panel". Mine is specific to the SW2012 but the old 458 had a control panel as well. The one that turns the inverter on & off.

wa8 is correct in that the transfer relay within the inverter could be in the "Inverter" position and not switching when shore power is applied. You should be able to tell by verifying that the GFI circuit (including the microwave) is hot when NOT connected to shore power. The generator should also cause it to switch over by assuming the load.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #33

Thanks Bob for the explanation.

I reinstalled the inverter yesterday and got a buzz and a green charging light. Before there was no buzz and a red light. I was encouraged BUT:

No fan but I don't know if it is only supposed to come on when the unit warms up.

Batt state on remote was red. After 1 hour of charging still red so not charging.

No AC power on circuits thru inverter.

Inverter ON ...power on circuits (microwave etc) but not on outlets on GFI. GFI has a green light when all is well and amber when tripped. Showing amber and will not reset. Batt state was green when inverting.

Tied input AC and output AC together and everything works . GFI circuit resets and shows green.

Soooooooo I will take the inverter to the service center in Seattle and see what they say.

Geoff
Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Well, atleast you tried and can now validate 100% that there's a problem in your inverter. Especially if you can temporarily connect the IN & OUT together to get a "HOT" GFI circuit.

My only advice is to get a quote after it's diagnosed and then determine if a rebuilt unit is available and even a better price than the repair. A fellow owner had that happen to him but got fed up and purchased a new Magnum. A diagnostic costs $250 at the local AZ service facility so you're getting a good deal on that.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #35

Hi Bob and everyone

I was on ebay last night and found a couple of Magnum inverters for around 800. One is a rebuilt and the other a "dent and scratch" but the dented one is only 30 amp single input or leg (I think) so I'm assuming it won't work for 50amp 2 leg systems? Although I would like to know exactly what is wrong and have it repaired I am starting to think that it will be at least 500 and then if the fan is finished that will probably be another 200$ for a 25 $ fan and then I still have a 17 year old inverter.It might be best to go with a new or rebuilt one!

Geoff
Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #36

Goeff,

I would be quite surprised if you need a "two hots" inverter. Generally, the inverter is supplied with 120 VAC from a breaker on the main 120 VAC breaker panel.

Then inverter 120 VAC output is routed to a sub-panel.

All this is on one hot.

Only reason for a larger inverter is if you want to run appliances that require more amps of 120 VAC. Yes, larger ones also generally come with larger changers, but most all are quite adequate unless you do a lot of dry camping.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Geoff,

I'm pretty sure you need the Magnum MS2012 Inverter/Charger for a direct replacement of the old Xantrex 458. Some owners have opted for the 2812 which is a 2800W inverter (as opposed to 2000W) and a 150A charger (as opposed to 100A). Technically speaking, the battery cables feeding an MS2812 need to be 4/0 whereas your current cables are probably 2/0. In either case, you'll need to purchase a new system control panel which can utilize the existing RJ11 control cable.

If you have the Xantrex AGS system I would strongly encourage you to replace it with the Magnum equivalent to establish a complete "Magnum" system. It will take some installation work but should be a reasonable DIY project. However, the old AGS has absolutely NO direct dependence on the inverter/charger so you could keep it (as sucky as it is).
Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
No AC power on GFI Circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
Thanks Bob for the explanation.

I reinstalled the inverter yesterday and got a buzz and a green charging light. Before there was no buzz and a red light. I was encouraged BUT:

No fan but I don't know if it is only supposed to come on when the unit warms up.

Batt state on remote was red. After 1 hour of charging still red so not charging.

No AC power on circuits thru inverter.

Inverter ON ...power on circuits (microwave etc) but not on outlets on GFI. GFI has a green light when all is well and amber when tripped. Showing amber and will not reset. Batt state was green when inverting.

Tied input AC and output AC together and everything works . GFI circuit resets and shows green.

Soooooooo I will take the inverter to the service center in Seattle and see what they say.

Geoff

Geoff, on the gfci only, there are 2 sides to a gfci, the line side comes from the power panel, the load side is after the protection and goes to the plugs down stream. Disconnect power at the breaker, then remove the wires from the load side, turn the power back on and see if you now have power at the plug, if so you have a short from neutral to ground on the wiring on the load side. I had the same problem at my sons stick and brick house, his father-in-law had replaced the covers on an outside plug and when he reassembled everything the white wire (neutral) was touching the metal box (ground) it thought there was a short to ground and immediately popped the gfci protection. I repositioned the plug and taped around it, all is fine. You could also have a bad gfci receptacle, disconnect the line side and see if you have voltage to it.

Obviously that will not cure your charging problems, but you might have more than one thing going on. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What you need to do as a temp measure.
First. Pick up an Progressive Dynamics 9200 series converter

Using a SHARPIE pen label the two 120 volt lines to the inverter IN and OUT. This is important (though you can figure it out later if you forget this)

Hook both of these together White wire to white wire to sliver screw black to black to copper screw and bare to bare to green screw on the 9200's AC-IN block

Hook the 12 volt lines to the 9200's 12 volt side

now your batteries will charge and all outlets should work

NOTE: This assumes you have an iverter sub panel If you have multiple OUT lines you will need to install a sub panel It will need at least 3 breakers

Run the IN lead to the sub panel bus

20 amp to the 9200 (you will need to add a wire)
Same size as the inverter's breakers (likely 15) to each branch circuit.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #40

I am going to take a step back and think this through. I'll get back on it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again everyone. Dave as far as I can see my GFI is working properly as when I tie the AC input to the AC output the circuit works and the GFI shows no fault.

wa8 thanks for the tip on the converter. I am finding that the solar panels are keeping the batteries charged at least enough until I can get the inverter fixed/replaced.

Geoff
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #41

Well finally here is the news that you all have been anxiously waiting for:
My inverter is once again amongst the living

I was able to bring it to S3 Maritime in Seattle (the nearest authorized service center) last week. As promised it was ready in 3 days (actually 2).

It was the "ac relay " board that had failed along with a few solder joints that had burned due to the heat from the contacts in the failing relay. Total cost was 390$ so cheaper and less complicated than getting a new Magnum. Hopefully I am good for another 15 years.

Sorry it took so long for this to be resolved but we had a busy last few months as we bought a house and then came home to sell our other house and empty it and sell stuff and move stuff to the new house and then go back to finalise the sale of our other house and then drive back to our other house as our other house was sold and organise the aforementioned other house and then (are you getting all of this!!??) pack to head south. Did I mention that my wife had a knee operation?

A big thankyou for everyones' input on this as it helped me to use the AC by bypassing the inverter and also to show the tech that I had a pretty good idea what was wrong so he didn't try to "sell" me more stuff!

Geoff
Old 11-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #42

Glad to hear you fixed it! Thanks for telling us the end result.

Tags
power