Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

No AC power on GFI Circuit

Hi All

All was well and then we had no power on the GFI circuit when plugged in to the pedestal. AC in is indicated on panel and the other general circuit is normal. Tried resetting the GFI and nothing. Thought it was a faulty GFI so I changed it...no change. If I disconnect shorepower and go on the inverter it works so power gets to the GFI on inverter but for some reason it doesn't get power when on shorepower. Any ideas???

Geoff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is streange.. Does the INVERTER show power IN? (it must otherwise it'd be working)

Are you manually switching the inverter off or letting the automatic switching do it.

And is your rig wired like this...

Main breaker panel----Inverter----Sub panel (may be part of inverter---GFCI

Or like this
SHore
Generator
Inverter ---- All to 3 way transfer switch-- Breakers --- GFCI.

Finally a thought.. I often post a non-joke.. "Many RVers have a few screws loose" Sounds like a joke but is serious.. I am speaking specifically of the screws in the power distribution panel.

Yup.. One of the screws that secure the wires in my panel took over 2 FULL TURNS before I felt resistance when I went to tighten.

A #2 Square bit is often used for tightening.

Several other places I've found loose screws

Plugs (if not molded on) Outlets (That's the end of the cord that plugs into the RV) INLETS (what said outlet plugs into)

And I 'm not an RV technician.. I just help folks out or work on my own (2 of those were on mine 2 on other folks)

And others in the forums have reported loos screws in Auto Transfer Switches.. Mine may have been but it failed under warranty and was repalced by someone who actually knew how to tighten.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

Could be by-pass circuit on the inverter, the 120v breaker[s] in the grey breaker box in the bathroom that feeds the inverter, or a bad power cord/dogbone adaptor [if on 30 amps] shorepower.....assume you dont have a surge protector, as usually, loss of one leg will shut it down....need to trace shore power on both legs coming in to coach, start at CG pedestal and work toward coach...keep us posted....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

Hi

All screws seem to be tight except the big one in my head! I have checked the circuit breakers for power and they all have 120 V. I have a 120 panel and then a separate inverter panel .When I turn on the inverter I get 120 V on all inverter CBs and everything works. On shorepower I have only the one circuit working even though I have 120 V on every breaker. I have a Freedom 458 inverter/charger with the remote panel that has the LED barographs. With the charger selected on I have AC in and the battery state LED red. With the charger off the battery state goes to Amber. If I remove shorepower and start the generator same result...I still get AC in so I think the transfer switch is working normally. I am not an electrician so I am fumbling in the dark...not good when you are playing with electricity. I do ask the power company to shut down the whole local grid though!!

Geoff
Old 07-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

Hi Old Scout

Good to hear from again! I just checked the voltage at the CG pedestal is 240 and the end of the 50 Amp cord is 240 and 120/120. Don't know where to go from there.

Geoff
Old 07-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

240V at the breaker box and 120 on both legs! If the by pass circuit on the inverter how do you reset it? The 25 amp circuit breaker on the inverter itself (only one I can find) is OK.

Geoff
Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

Geoff,

Let's explore this sentence: "On shorepower I have only the one circuit working even though I have 120 V on every breaker."

Please explain exactly what is and is not working on shore power. Assume roof A/C are working. What about the microwave which is powered by/through the inverter, not directly from the main 120 VAC panel.

Do any of the outlets powered by/through the inverter work on shore power?

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
Old 07-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

Hi Brett

Thanks for your reply. Good point about what I am talking about. OK the ACs do work. The microwave does not work on shorepower, only the inverter. At the same time the outlets that normally work on the inverter do work on the inverter but not on shorepower . This is the outlet circuit that also has the GFI on it. The other outlet circuit does work on shorepower.I haven't yet checked the ATS but I will soon...DW is starting to squawk a bit about "we are sup[posed to be on vacation" so I will have to put this on pause. Hope this clarifies things a little.

Geoff
Old 07-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #9

Geoff,

If circuits downstream of the inverter worked on NEITHER generator nor shore power, but only when using the batteries (inverting), the "pass through relay" in the inverter/charger is suspect.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
Old 07-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Like old scout said; could be by-pass circuit in the inverter. There are 2 fuses inside the inverter. One of those fuses protect the inverted from high incoming voltage. If this fuse is defective, you will not be able to turn on the charging circuit in the inverter when plugged into a pedestal.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #11

OK Guys

Just pulled my head out from looking at the ATS....I'm glad I don't have to check that can of worms! Brett the same problem on Shorepower or Generator ie: no power on circuit powered by the inverter so it looks like the bypass /pass thru in the inverter. How do you reset that? Fred where would these fuses be ? Are they glass type?

Geoff
Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #12

Use to have the 458 in my 03 but never experienced a pass-thru failure. To be sure, guess I would ask you to pull the cover off the wire connectors compartment on the 458 and determine that you are getting 120v power to the inverter while on shorepower but not beyond. Fact that you are getting 120v power to one leg while on shore or genny tends to rule out the x-fer switch [other than a loose wire] as the x-fer tends to fail across both legs....pm me with cell # and we can discuss options off line.....
PS--if we cant get the inverter resolved, you can[if you feel comfortable] tie both 120v feeds [to/from] the inverter together to temporarily by pass the inverter--no invert capability though!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #13

They are glass type fuse under the inverter cover, on the back of one of the circuit boards near the large coil. You can tie the in and out 110 volt wires together at the inverter,to fix temporally. What about the charging circuit?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #14

We are leaving tomorrow for another adventure! When we get hooked up at the next CG I will see if I can get into the inverter cover and do some checking. Access is going to be a problem. I'll keep you posted but it might be a couple of days.

Geoff

Tags
power