Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #29

If it smells like something smoked in the inverter, then game's over. Until the inverter is either eliminated as the problem or replaced, there isn't much need to go further with diagnosis.

If you're good with wiring, it is possible to bypass the inverter and power the sub-panel directly until the inverter is replaced, but I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone not familiar with electrical work.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If it smells like something smoked in the inverter, then game's over. Until the inverter is either eliminated as the problem or replaced, there isn't much need to go further with diagnosis.

If you're good with wiring, it is possible to bypass the inverter and power the sub-panel directly until the inverter is replaced, but I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone not familiar with electrical work.
Well I figured that original freedom20 would croak someday, but its been pretty good so far.
May try and repair it if the transfer switch is available. I already wired in a bypass.
Retired Seattle City Light guys aren't afraid of "low voltage"...lol.
Besides, without the bedroom outlet for my cpap dw would make me sleep outside.
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Had a similar problem with the same kind of electrical outlet issues. After trying numerous countermeasures we ended up replacing the original Freedom inverter with a Magnum (MS2812) inverter. A relatively easy drop in replacement with minor modifications... Everything has been working great for the past several months. Got a lot of help and good advice from the awesome members on this forum... Good Luck!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Yep, so many choices. I may try to repair the old Heart Interphase. Local company for me, with a great track record. But pretty old technology...
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Yeah, upgrade in my future.
Again thanks to all who assisted.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
All good times now. Met our P.A. neighbors today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191109_090703.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	266385  
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #35

Alpine36,

I'm a little late to the party; hope it's not over yet.

I had a similar problem with the Freedom 10 inverter in my 1998 Alpine. The F2 .25 amp fuse inside the inverter box had failed.

Replaced the fuse and it has been fine for the past 3 years. So far, so good. You may be as lucky.

I contacted Xantrex at the time and was told they no longer service the old Freedom units.

Please post a follow up report when you repair or replace/upgrade the inverter.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Gmcgene, thanks. I will check the fuse for sure when we get home. I also think ill add a couple wall outlets from the main panel to carry heater loads. Seems like alot of load for the inverter bypass to carry. And since when is it ok to wire a 30a circuit with 12/2?...just sayin theres room for improvement. Take care. Mike
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
No ac voltage

Mike,
Don’t know it this will help as you have identified the problem.......
There should be one outlet that does NOT run through the inverter. It is the outlet right behind the co-pilots seat.
We had the same thing happen to us one winter. Constant running a heavy load through the inverter caused a failure.
I ended up doing the same, bypass the inverter for coach power.
Fortunately we were in Indy and I was able to pull the inverter and take it to M and M in Ohio City for repair.
I was told that it is very hard on the inverter, Freedom 458, to have that constant heavy load.
Now if we run a heater, it is only the passenger front plug that we use.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #38

Again, a second ATS will allow high loads while on shore power or generator and retain the same functionality of the inverter when disconnected.

Some SOB's are wired this way from the factory.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks guys. Good to know there is one additional outlet wired "correctly" forward of the coach. I ended up utilizing the washer dryer outlet to run the small 700w heater and used the furnace as well. The sub panel is currently wired into the main panel for now. Fortunately the Freedom battery charge circuit is working normally. Pulling the inverter is on the to do list, and I'm leaning towards the Magnum. We used many Magnums successfully when I built line trucks for the electric utility. Believe me, Lineworkers can break an anvil with rubber mallets, so good testing grounds there. For now I'm toying with the idea of installing a small 750w inverter dedicated for the forward entertainment system only. We don't foresee a ton of off grid boondocking in our future, but it's nice to not run the generator for a little tv when roadtripping.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ