Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Thumbs down No Brake Lights

Checking signals for travel, the brake lights on the coach are not working. When connected to the dinghy, the dinghy lights do not work either, but the dinghy lights work fine when on it's own power.

I checked the fuse for the brake lights in the Battery VEC and it is good (replaced it just in case).

Any ideas?

ctcatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You did not specify what rig you have, but on our 02 Journey there is a fuse for the brake and tail lights that is separate from the running lights. I had one go bad and had to learn the hard way where to look for it.

I thought that if the running lights worked, the tail lights should also. I was wrong.

Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
If it is not the fuse then you may have to adjust the switch. It should be near the top of the pedal arm under the dash. Hope this helps.Joe
99 F-350 4X4 PSD pulling a 24' Nash travel trailer
JRNOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
If you have an '04 or later Alpine Coach, it has a Vansco system on it. If so, turn off the main power switch for the chassis batteries, wait 30 seconds, and power it back up. That should reboot the system, and hopefully give you the lights back.

If you have an '03 or earlier, please disregard this as you don't have the Vansco system.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
If you an 2002 or older with the brake pedal through the floor you will find the Brake Light Switch under the motorhome. The brake light switch is located on the bell crank.

The brake light switch will have two wires and one should have a constant 12v. If 12v can be detected have someone press on the brake pedal and check to see if you have 12v on the second wire. If not replace the switch.

Let us know what you find. If the above suggestions do not work me may have more information for you. :thumbup:
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a different rig but maybe this can help. I had the same problem about a year ago. I checked fuses, wiring, light bulbs, etc. After a lot of frustration, I discovered it was a relay. On mine, next to the fuses in the electrical compartment are the relays. They're black and about one cubic inch in size. Once it was replaced there's been no problems since.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 AM   #7
Thanks Everyone

It was a first-time user post, and I left off that the coach is a 2003 Alpine. Everyone had good suggestions, and I am suspecting it is the relay mentioned by Falcon 190.

My suspicion is driven by noticing an audible and palpable click for the horn relay when I press Horn switch on the steering wheel (I'm parked with no air in the system so the horn doesn't sound). The horn relay is in the Battery VEC along with the relay for the brake lights.

But if I press the brake pedal, no relay seems to actuate, and to prolong my misery, no local auto parts stores carry or can match the OMRON Micro Relay.

I've ordered one via Amazon, and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll post if that fixes the problem, and if it doesn't, I guess I'll move on to the brake pedal switch suggested by Dave.

ctcatches is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, brake lights, lights