Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:03 AM   #15

John found this thread and it concerns us both. It's been a year since this discussion - are there any more updates?

Has anyone modified their braking system?

Does anyone know if the design has changed on the latest models? Is there still the ground fuse?

Any updates would be very much appreciated.

Audrey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Audrey & John:

Just to let you know that WRV mailed out 350 AMP replacement fuses, they were easy to install which should prevent the problem.

Dave

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #17

Hey thanks for updating us! When you say replacement fuses - there is still a fuse in the ground line, just a different amperage one?

Audrey
Old 10-07-2004, 05:59 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Now this topic really scares me having gone over Tioga Pass in Yosemite twice. Eight miles of 8% downgrade with nowhere to go but a rock wall or a 2000 foot drop. Guess I'll call WRV and see if this fuse has been replaced on our coach. From now on the door will be open and I'll be ready to throw the wife ,dog and cat out.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:59 PM   #19

You should have gotten a letter from WRV with instructions and a new fuse last year(2003).

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Hello:

Yes Audrey they did increased the size of the fuse from 250 Amp's to 350 Amp's it is larger than the other fuses.

Tom, I know you just purchased the Alpine and do not know if the prior owner replaced it. You can check to see if it has been replaced. To check the size of the fuse, just open the engine maintenance compartment, look for the fuse holder labeled "GROUND" pull the cover and the fuse size (Amp rating) is printed on the fuse. If it is not the correct size contact WRV or purchase one and replace it. It is easy to do, just cut the power to both the coach and engine before you replace it; it took me about five minutes including looking for the proper tools.

Dave
Old 10-13-2004, 03:28 PM   #21

Would be very interesred to know the reasoning behind the ground fuse. It may be there to protect something, but what is left to protect if you are headed down a one mile grade with nothing with nothing airleft in front if you can't make the next turn.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
I didn't notice a reply on this 2003 thread to the question: is there a fuse on the negative side of the line -- or indeed anything that could cause failure of the hydroboost and engine together? If so, a recall would seem to be in order.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #23

Fred, Alpine sent me a 350 Amp replacement fuse over a year ago. I thought all Alpine owners with in a certain vin# were getting them.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #24

I received the new ground fuse and installed it,but still have a question as to whether there is a fuse in the positive side? seems to me there should be more of a fail safe system than currently exists. The brakes should work reguardless of engine stop or loss of power!!
Sounds to me like some lawyer is just waiting for his share of a zillion dollar damage claim when something tragic happens. A previous post claimed that without power to the aux brake that it was not possible to stop even if you were an 800 lb guirella {ms}.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #25

The question becomes, "how many fail safe systems need to be installed?" An isolated power path could be applied to the "vacuum pump" to provide a third safety system, at probably very little cost, but beyond that it would no doubt be quite costly to add additional back-up systems (air, additional vac pump, etc.) I am sure WRV provides what they feel is needed to keep the vehicle safe. However, anyone that does not have the heftier fuse should contact customer service and they will send one out. I believe they modified the design of the back-up braking system in the newer coaches.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Fred. I'm a new member so you may have the fuse problem fixed by now; however, I wanted you to know that there was a recall on the ground fuse a while back. The original fuse was replaced by a much larger one. I suggest you contact WRV to get the larger fuse if you haven'talready.frankerouse@charter.net

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #27

OK, I'm absolutely terrified to take my coach on the road. I have a 2002 38FDS, purchased from a private party. I have no idea if this break/fuse problem has been rectified. My first option is to go out tomorrow and take a look at the size of my ground fuse. My second option is to now add the break test to my pre-startup routine. Neither of these options though makes me feel safer. Even a 350 amp fuse can blow; it just takes more of an electrical problem. Why do I have a ground fuse, why not just hard wire a short across the ground fuse terminals? Has anyone retrofitted there coach to ensure the Hydro-Boost will function as a break backup if engine and power fail? I hope this problem can (or is resolved) life is to valuable to risk. RVing should be a casual and relaxing endeavor; we should not be under the gun with this kind of problem.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Alpine Man:

First I would like to welcome you to the forum and to the ownership of an Alpine Coach. Second do not worry. When the fuse is replaced with the 350 Amp it will be the last one to go, since it is now the largest and it is on the negative side of the electrical system. Your brake test will be if the engine running it in turn powers the hydraulic pump which provides power to the hydro boost brake system. I hope this help settle your worries about the brake system. I do not know of any failures caused by a bad fuse. If you are still worried you can contact the factory and they can explain the brake system or contact me and I will try to explain the system. As far as I am concerned Alpine Coach has one of the best brake systems on any DP coach.

Dave