Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
No Coach Battery Power

Put in new batteries yesterday and all was well. I was going to stop for fuel and turned on HWH and started the gen slide out. I had to wait so pulled the gen slide back in. When we pulled up for fuel the slide wouldn't extend.
Now we are back home and I have no 12 volt power. I can hook up to A/C and the charger/ inverter shows charging the batteries (they show full charge) and I have 12 volt lights. Turn of the charger and I have nothing.

Batteries show 6.47V - all four are connected.

Don't know where to start. Could it be a bad ground?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

It sounds like you have lost your connection to the batteries and your 12v systems are operating off the charger/converter. You say batteries are showing 6.47v. across your 6V batteries - this should be OK but are likely not connected to the load or the charger.

So yes check ALL Connections switches and relays - I suspect it is a connection issue somewhere.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

I would start by checking your battery connections since you just installed the batteries. It's relatively easy for one or more to work loose while traveling; especially after an install.

Yes, a ground could have come loose but that goes back to tightening all the battery connections.

If you're saying that all your 6V bats are reading 6.47V individually, that's not bad but not great either. Each pair would only read 12.94V. The house bats really need to collectively read over 13V to adequately drive the HWH pump/system. The long cables between the bats & the front HWH system causes some voltage drop thus requiring a more ideal voltage level. A fellow owner shared his procedure for running the generator when getting fuel to run the slide out & back. The reason is that when the gen takes over the load you'll find that the Inverter/Charger goes into "bulk" mode immediately which generates over 14V of charge. This provides MUCH better voltage levels for operating the HWH system.

I would definitely verify that your bats are being fully charged (to float level about 13.5V). If you're not getting the house bats fully charged, then correct that problem before worrying about opening the front gen slide. Let us know.
bcbowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
But the puzzle is no 12V power what so ever in the coach. The inverter control panel has no lights. Press the charge button and not one light, like the battery bank is dead. I disconnected the batteries and individually all showed 6.47. Cleaned the ground on the back of the battery box.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Are you seeing 12+ (or as stated earlier over 13) volts out of the battery bank, if not you could have wired it wrong? Were you running the engine when you extended the gen slide, the alternator could have been powering the HWH.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439607214.084598.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	103349

Here is how they are wired.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #7

Where does your ground (-) connection go? It is not shown in the pic. There is no cutoff switch shown. Do you have these features?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
No Coach Battery Power

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439608298.341981.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	103354

I need to check that ground, but I have no trouble starting. I appreciate all the help.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
When I turn on the charger /inverter the charge indicator rises to 13.5 -14.0 in less than a minute. I have power to the ceiling fans, 12v lights ect. Turn off the inverter and no power almost immediately....within seconds.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
In some RVs there is a manual reset on an automotive style breaker in the 12V circuit from the buss bar to 12V distribution panel. It may look like this....Click here...notice the little tiny black tang on the side that must be manual reset if it trips.

Can you trace the 12V power wire from the buss bar? Have one of these?

My thought.
Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I've got three on the ceiling. Thank you, I will check those to see if one is open. The wires not big, maybe 14-16 gauge IIRC.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
I've got three on the ceiling. Thank you, I will check those to see if one is open. The wires not big, maybe 14-16 gauge IIRC.
If you have a volt ohm meter you can test continuity across the breakers with the ohm setting.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Starting uses the two 12v batteries in parallel to give you more amperage. The house/inverter use the 6v batteries in series to create two 12v battery banks in parallel increasing the amperage. Since this started when you changed out the battery bank, you could have connect one of the batteries with reverse polarity, check them closely. Send pictures if possible.

Since you are able to start the coach you know the chassis batteries are correct, concentrate on the house side.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Attachment 103354

I need to check that ground, but I have no trouble starting. I appreciate all the help.
The configuration of these connections are correct to use 2x12V in parallel for starting and 4x6V in series/parallel for house.

Brian

Tags
battery, power