Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

No dash heat

Would any one have a part number for a heater control valve or where I could purchase one. I can feel the heater core hose and it is plenty warm. Just can't get any warm air out the vents. The damper doors work fine and the blower is ok. Had a cold AM drive coming through Wyoming on our way home with our new to us Alpine. I tested the a/c before we left and it blew cool air But I did not check the heater The genset runs for 5 min then stops. It shows a code 24 so I ordered a new water temp sender, the coolant level is fine so I hope the sender is the problem. Just a few found bugs to work out and we will be ready for a trip out to the Oregon coast and visit our family.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Jim:

There are some threads for both problems. Just do a search using the menu above the main (Alpine) forum listings.

I had the opposite problem on the vents, the water flow to the heater was not being cut off and the heat was cancelling out the A/C. BTW, that part is a standard truck part. Very common.

The generator problem may or may not be a sender issue. Low fuel (1/4 or below) will shut it down, the Xantrex (Freedom) system can shut it down. You can try a work around to verify.

My Xantrex (RS 3000) only shuts off automatic starts and after only 30 seconds. There is a work around.

Before you throw too much money at a problem, search the forums first. Also don't get too excited about a problem you read about online. It more often than not will not affect your coach. However, you will learn a lot about your new toy by reading this forum front to back. It will also help you to make good decisions on upgrades, repairs and basic maintenance. It'll certainly save you some major bucks!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Hi Jim and Elissa. Welcome to the Alpine world. I, like you, had several bugs to work out of our '03 Alpine but in spite of all of the issues and repairs needed, we absolutely LOVE our coach. Regarding the generator cutting off. Your diagnosis is right on. We had the exact same problem and the fix was to replace the coolant temperature sending unit. It's not a really simple process but if you're careful and have a good assortment of tools, you should be able to change it out OK. If you have questions or problems with the job, please feel free to PM me. It probably has nothing to do with the inverter. If your '03 is like mine, it has the Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't have the same issues that the model RS-2000 & RS-3000s have with interacting with the generator while the engine is running (but, I'm not an expert and could be wrong). If you run across any other "mysteries" with your '03, please feel free to PM me as I have probably "been there and done that" with mine. Happy Motoring!!!
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

The good Lord was smiling on me today! My temperature sender for the generator came in the mail today. Upon removing the old sender, I noticed the probe portion of the sender was gone. As I was wrapping teflon tape around the new unit and preparing it for installation I noticed in the housing where the unit goes that the 1/2 inch probe portion of the old sender had broken off and was lodge in the housing. And I thought in order to remove the housing I would have to remove the water pump so that I would have enough clearance to extract the whole housing unit just to work on trying to remove the probe portion. But after about a half hour of tapping around the edge I was able to get the broken piece to move and upon seeing that I was able to grasp the probe with a 45 degree angle needle nosed pliers and once I got to wiggling it I had a long skinny flat tipped screw driver to help pry on the side and dislodge the broken portion of the probe. Then I replaced it with the new temperature sender and the generator works flawlessly now! I have worked off most of the to do list on the coach. I have found a small leak coming from the the hydrolic pump bay but I can't get a visual on it, maybe it is on the back side of the pump. I need to to get myself a small hand held rotating mirror so I can see behind the pump. It always feels good to win a battle know and then.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #5

Glad to hear you solved your genset problem--suspect the dash heater issue may be a bit more challenging. Do a search on this forum, several owners have had problems with leaking "H" valves and have found replacements. However, if your valve is not opening, it could be the valve, or the electric servo motor that actuates the valve, or a loose connection, or the control knob on the dash, or maybe a fuse. If you havent already, it might be good to check all the connections behind the dash before chasing replacement parts----good luck....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The module you need for the heat, if it's the one in the genset area (H-Valve) was discussed at the DDR rally in January. Paul Sullivan knows where that module can be gotten from and the part number, contact him through ACA, if you dont have his e-mail.

Good Job on the Genset. Ditto on the electrical connections, that would apply anywhere on the alpine you are currently working, check them all.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jim:

The heater control valve Monty is talking about comes from Thermotion 9330 Progress Pkwy., Mentor, OH 44060, Phone: 440-639-8325. You can down load there catalog before you order the Heater Control Valve.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #8

Thanks everyone, I am sending that web page to the local diesel repair shop here in hopes that they can fix my no heat at the dash. Electrical checks out fine.

Tags
dash