Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

NO DC Power

Help! I'm troubleshooting a power issue on a recently purchased 1999 Alpine coach. Here are the symptoms. No DC power to any of the interior lights, thermostat, fresh/grey/black/lpg control panel, and anything else that runs off of DC power. Plugged into a 50 amp service all the AC power works. HWH 610 panel comes on, however when I try to slide the two slides (side and front) nothing happens. Also, the battery dummy light on the HWH panel comes on.

So far I've run through the HWH 610 troubleshooting guide and found no faults, checked fuses, relays, etc. Also, last week I replaced the house battery 6v system because the previous ones wouldn't hold a charge. Prior to that the HWH battery light came on. Thanks for your response.

-Roger

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Have you turned on the house cutoff switch along side the entrance steps?

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you turn on a light and then push the 'Battery Boost' switch on the dashboard, does the light come on? I believe either your battery cut off switch is off or the relay has failed. If you switch the battery cut off switch off/on, you should hear the relay clicking. The fact that your 12 v (not 6 v, 6 v batteries in series create 12 v) house batteries wouldn't hold a charge also indicates your house battery system and converter/charger might not be hooked up correctly. The battery cut off solenoid has a fuse or two on it, check that they are good.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #4

It was the DC cut-off switch. Doh! Thank you both for the quick reply. We are in Tahoe right now, which is the first trip in this RV.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

There is also some sort of safety sequence on the HWH jack & slide deployment on the earlier coaches. Hopefully someone who knows what it is will explain.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
On my '03, the front slide will not operate unless atleast 1 - jack is down. I believe this requirement is intended to avoid undue stress on the hydraulic system (rams, pump, equalizer, etc.) since the front slide is quite large and appropriately heavy. The rear slides operate regardless of jacks but they're considerably smaller & lighter.

The front House cutoff switch MUST be "ON" to operate the HWH system. If it's not "ON" the control panel in the console will display a red battery symbol and nothing operates.

These are the only 2 - unique operational issues related to the front House cutoff switch.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #7

The intention is that the coach is level BEFORE the room slide is extended. However, as we have all noticed, the room slide will operate as soon as any one of the jacks is down far enough for the jack light to come on.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

I just started having the same problem except that the house battery switch is "ON" . When I start up then all is good. When I shutdown it seems the DC works for about a minute or so and then I hear a "click" and then the DC fails. If it is a bad relay where is it? If it is a fuse on the relay where is that?! I've tried turning the Batt Switch OFF and then ON.

Thanks

Geoff
Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinedrvr View Post
I just started having the same problem except that the house battery switch is "ON" . When I start up then all is good. When I shutdown it seems the DC works for about a minute or so and then I hear a "click" and then the DC fails. If it is a bad relay where is it? If it is a fuse on the relay where is that?! I've tried turning the Batt Switch OFF and then ON.

Thanks

Geoff
Geoff, many RV's have what is known as a "Big Boy" solenoid that allows the alternator to charge the house batteries. It cross-connects the coach and chassis systems when the engine is running and the chassis batteries are charged, allowing the alternator to then charge the house batteries.

If your DC is failing a couple of minutes after stopping the engine, it may be that your house batteries are failing to hold a charge and the voltage is just falling too low. Does the DC fail if you're plugged in?

I'd get a multimeter (You need one if you own an RV) and check the house battery voltage when this failure occurs. Check it right on the battery bank so you can exclude any other components.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
alpinedrvr I suggest you check the solenoid that connects your alternator charging circuit to the house batteries. You might have someone else shut down the engine while you stand near open compartment or hood to locate the solenoid that is 'clicking' a minute after shut down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #11

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply. as I was checking the Big Boy relay and getting D/W to turn the batt sw on and off I noticed that the jumper cable from one of the 6v batteries to the other had come loose and then disconnected! Put it back together and all is good!!

Thanks again

geoff
Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

Tricotec

Sorry I missed your post! The Big Boy relay was what I thought was the problem and I got D/W to cycle the house batt switch on and off to see if I could hear the relay . That was when I saw the cable disconnected. When I installed the 6v batteries I was missing one cable with crimped on lugs so I got 2 of those screw on ones at Lowe's. With the vibration etc the set screw backed off and the cable fell out. Got a proper cable with crimped on lugs coming soon!!

BTW I do have a multimeter (more than one actually!) . As you say you can't own an RV without having one of those plus a bunch of other stuff too!

Geoff
Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I think on your coach that the Big Boy solenoid is only used for combining both battery banks thru the battery boost switch on the dash. You should have a battery isolator that will charge both battery banks while the engine is running and an echo charger that will keep the start batteries charged while the inverter/charger is charging the coach batteries when plugged into shore power. On later coaches, that have the Vansco system, that solenoid is used for the boost function and to combine the battery banks when engine is running or plugged into shore power. The Vansco coaches don't have the battery isolator or the echo charger.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #14

Hi Jim

You are right about the battery isolator and echo charger on the older coaches. I'm not electrically savvy enough to know exactly what that Big Boy does!!

Geoff

Tags
power