Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #29

Update:
I tracked down my problem of no zone 2 to the cable that run between the two units after hours of troubleshooting and trips up on the roof.
I've run a temporary wire which took care of the problem, now I just need to figure out how to run the proper way and put everything back together.
Thanks for all the suggestion on things to try.

How is yours coming along 3x5? Did you ever get this fixed?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190411_180503523.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	241638
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:41 AM   #30

Jeep, a lot of folks mention running wires through ducting. If the old wire is there and not cut, you can tape the new one to it and pull it through. Don’t know how many tight turns would be in the run, but I’ve used that method before.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Did that on boats many, many times.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #32

….you can certainly run new wire thru the ceiling ducts but the "old" wire is imbedded in the foam insulation or in separate wire runs so not really available for pulling new wire--I think.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #33

My plan is to run the new wire in the duct, you will never pull a new one with the old on my coach. One end only moves a little and the other not at all, which is where I suspect the original problem started.
I poked around for while looking at both air boxes trying to decide the best way to penetrate them. I'm not sure what the best plan would be, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #34

As note in several other old threads, the wire for the Aqua Hot is by the rear unit and never had an end put on it. I don't have the option on my coach.
I also have a wire at the front unit without an end on it, does anyone have an idea where the wire goes or what it might have been for originally??
My thought was if the other ends of those two wires ended in the same spot on the other end that I might be able to put them together and use them....just a thought... I'm not sure where in the storage bay to start looking.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #35

….could/does vary by model of Alpine and year but the air box under the A/C units is pretty funky with lots of opportunity for entry/exits so remove the ceiling cover and you can see what I mean....as for the other ends--the ducts extend into the rear closet and the front overhead cabinets above the windshield so a modest hole in the ceiling, inside the rear closet or the inside the front overhead cabinets will give you access....note--this is on a 40ft so rear entry/exit point could be more challenging with no rear closet......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #36

The 03 40ft didn’t have a rear closet? My 05 40FDTS has a rear closet.

Always interesting to see the variations...
Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….could/does vary by model of Alpine and year but the air box under the A/C units is pretty funky with lots of opportunity for entry/exits so remove the ceiling cover and you can see what I mean....as for the other ends--the ducts extend into the rear closet and the front overhead cabinets above the windshield so a modest hole in the ceiling, inside the rear closet or the inside the front overhead cabinets will give you access....note--this is on a 40ft so rear entry/exit point could be more challenging with no rear closet......
My thought process being put into writing isn't always the best sorry.
The ends that I'm asking about are of the phone type wires without ends on them in both the front and rear ac areas.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
Update:
I tracked down my problem of no zone 2 to the cable that run between the two units after hours of troubleshooting and trips up on the roof.
I've run a temporary wire which took care of the problem, now I just need to figure out how to run the proper way and put everything back together.
Thanks for all the suggestion on things to try.

How is yours coming along 3x5? Did you ever get this fixed?

Jeep401, my wires checked out. (I assume you tried changing the ends.)
I have an extra RJ11 phone cable with end in the back air conditioner, not attached to anything. I think someone posted earlier that it would go to Hydrohot, if I had one, which I don't.

Sorry. I wrote up a post a couple of weeks ago, but forgot to actually post it. Been fixing too many other things.

But it's fixed. I have zone two on my a/c and heat pump now. The Duo-Therm Comfort Control was fine. The EE error code on it when away when I unplugged the RJ11 in the back a/c. The plug is behind the access panel in the bottom of the a/c, which you get to from the bedroom. Then the system would work zone 1 only. Zone two was completely gone.

It was a bad circuit board located in the back a/c, accessed from the roof by taking off the fiberglass shroud. There is a 3 amp automotive fuse on it which I checked first, but it was ok. Per a sticker on the circuit board, it was part number 3109229.009. Dometic and several sellers including PPL Motorhomes say that it is replaced by part number 3311557.000.

One repair shop I stopped by had one, but wanted $168 for it. I found several for sale online at much better prices. One of the best prices was on eBay, $78.83 plus $7.90 shipping, usps priority mail, which I ordered.

Switching the control boards was straightforward. Afterwards, I reset the Comfort Control by turning it off and holding down the Mode and Zone buttons at the same time while sliding it back to on. Suddenly both zone 1 and zone 2 were there.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I had no idea that the control board would be in the top of the air conditioner!

I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #39

Awesome, I'm glad you're fix also.
I'm running the new wire down the duct right now and should be all back together shortly.
Thanks for the update.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
My plan is to run the new wire in the duct, you will never pull a new one with the old on my coach. One end only moves a little and the other not at all, which is where I suspect the original problem started.
I poked around for while looking at both air boxes trying to decide the best way to penetrate them. I'm not sure what the best plan would be, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You may be able to pull a string through the duct with a shop vac at one end. Works great for conduit runs. I’d imagine that all the vents along the run would need to be taped up and a fairly tight seal at the shop vac end would be necessary to create enough vacuum. Then use the string to pull the wires.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
You may be able to pull a string through the duct with a shop vac at one end. Works great for conduit runs. I’d imagine that all the vents along the run would need to be taped up and a fairly tight seal at the shop vac end would be necessary to create enough vacuum. Then use the string to pull the wires.
I got it all run and up and running.
I ended up pushing it down the duct one vent at a time. I pushed down to the first vent and pulled it through, the just repeated until I was at the other end. It wasn't too bad.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #42

We haven’t gotten a chance to go anywhere this season, but the new units seem to push a lot of cold air in comparison to the old units, not requiring a high fan kick on in the front unit like the old units did in 83 degree weather.

If you have one of the units fail, I would recommend replacing them both with the new CCC II thermostat. The new thermostat is very intuitive with more features than the old 5 button. Just my 2 cents.

Tags
ace, dometic, furnace, heat, heat pump