Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #15

Tom- if the smell is distinct at the inverter (inside cabinet) vs at the GFI or the appliance that was in use at the time in question, probably either transfer switch in inverter or a p.c. board inside. Given lights out on inverter and therefore no charging, I'd suspect the 120V input circuit on inverter and its p.c. board as likely, and not the xfer switch. When its only the xfer switch, I believe there have been cases of inverters working the charger and attempting to run a bad xfer switch but failing to send 120V back out all the while lights are showing inverter as working.

Could also be only a fuse. There is a fat "Inverter" fuse, which on my rigs has been located on back wall of battery bay, 300A iirc, and its about $75 at a reasonable price before delivery, likely available in Elkhart. Might also be an internal fuse or brkr that burned up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
My solar panels are not charging either. Hmm. I don't see any wires from the solar charger attached to the inverter yet, but I'm just starting removeal.

Dave, I went looking for magic smoke and attracted the attention of the local police force. :-)

Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
The inverter is out. I see where the "magic Smoke" went. The circuit board that all the breakers are attached to has a burn mark with a smoke trail. Wires all look good.

The solar panel is charging ok, after I plugged it back in up on the roof after replacing the refer vent(oh boy) and turning off the inverter breaker. ( that is a poor sentence)

Wish me luck in Elkhart.
I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1472366917.png
Views:	59
Size:	860.8 KB
ID:	16224  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #18

Hey Tom........tell Patty she broke it and she should fix it

Merry Christmas you guys......miss not seeing ya.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Mike, check your PM's.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
I turned the breaker off that supplied power to the inverter, which should do the same. As it is now, I will pull the inverter and drop it by Xantrex in Elkhart and have them diagnose it.
On our breaker panel we've got TWO breakers for the inverter - - found that out when we had a problem. Both needed to be reset - turn off, wait a minute, turn back on. Just a thought.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Definitely has a burned board. Tried to drop at Xantrex in Elkhart, but they were doing an audit and told me no way would they take it in. But I could ship it to them, or to Tennessee. WT…I was driving right by but needed to ship it to them? Not very helpful!

Took it to M&M in Ohio City. He should have the board rebuilt by Thursday.

He said the cause could be running a 1500 watt heater frequently through the inverter circuit.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #22

Try running the heater off the PS front outlet, which if still OEM wiring, isn't thru inverter xfer switch.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #23

The folks across the road from us at Chula Vista RV had a similar issue with a electric heater. Their 458 is a newer model with the circuit breakers on the front of the inverter. Reset the breaker and all was find. His wife will not be using the receptacle on the inverter side in the future.
We had our AC board replaced by Fuge Electronics here in San Diego. Great repair shop and an authorized xantrex repair facility. I will have information on Fuge at the Rat Rally.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
When I smelled the Magic Smoke from my Combi inverter, I instantly realized it was my chance to ditch the modified sine inverter and install a true sine. Cost more though.... (for Good Sam).......
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Well the inverter is back in with a repaired circuit board. All is good., except for my back and shoulders.

One more question. Batteries are Trojan 105's. The Trojan chart says 185 amp hours at 5 hours and 225 at 6 hours. What is the rating of the battery so I can set the charger?

Thanking everyone:-)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #26

The batteries will provide 185 AH if discharged in 5 hours and 225 if discharged in 6 hours. This means that the battery will provide more capacity if discharged slower. I have 8 house batteries and set my charger/inverter at 900 AH which is the 6 hour rate.
If you have 6 batteries you would have 675 AH capacity which would discharge in 6 hours at a 112.5 amp rate.

Remember the batteries are 6 volt and are in series to provide 12 volts and the AH rating is for 2 batteries and not individually.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #27

Always thought the AH setting was based on total bat capacity so if you have four 105 AH rated bats, the inverter bat AH setting would be 420 AHs. If you have six 105 AH rated bats, the setting would be 630 AH, and so on.....Since the xantrex units have a bat temp sensor, the inverter will de-rate if the bats get too warm during the charge cycle anyway, so the AH setting kind of a guideline. Once again, I could be totally all wet. Also need to ensure your inverter is set for flooded/wet cell Vs AGM or whatever.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #28

I take it you are asking the question because you have a Link 1000 Remote panel. On pdf page 31 (manual page 22) of the Link 1000 manual (http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Dis...-01_Rev-A).pdf) it says you are supposed to use the battery mfg's 20 hr rate for battery bank size esitmations. On page 6 of the Trojan brochure (http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0175_RECColl.pdf) it says the standard GC2 (T-105) 6 Volt battery has a 225AH rating. Even though you place 2 of these batteries in series to obtain 12 Volts, the AH rating still remains at 225AH. With only 2 6 volt batteries you would set the Link 1000 battery capacity to 220AH. The link 1000 jumps in increments of 20AH for capacity values > 100 (pdf page 23).

If have 4 T-105's connected in series/parallel configuration (2 series sets with each set connected in parallel) then you have a total of 225 x 2 = 450AH. Therfore, you would set the Link 1000 battery capacity to 440AH.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote