RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

No shore power - solved? (' 07 34"FDDS)

Not wishing to further hijack the thread: Automatic Transfer Switch on 1999 Alpine, in this section.....

Aux Generator worked fine.

After a few hours of messing around, shore power works, but I'm unsure why. I'd bypassed the reel's cord and then the Surge Protector(there are 4 or 5 50A plugs/sockets in that bay; unsure if that's factory, but I'd bet not). For each bypass, both were connected plugged into a 50A cord, NOT their normal connection.

Initially, I thought I hear a loud click from the Surge/ATS box, when plugging in shore. Definitely, later, I did hear it, but then all issues were gone. Why??????

I pressed the reset button on the inverter, cycled the power switches and checked the connectors to all batteries and coach posts; many with some visible corrosion, but seemingly okay. I'll clean and NoAlux them later.

We'd seen no charging of batteries (4 not 5 LEDs), no power to the convection oven and no panel annunciation of AC power connected, excpet from the inverter or Generator, the overhead display showing an error referring to a bad ground. All that has changed.

Does the inverter need to be ON (overhead control panel, above the passenger's footwell) for shore power to connect?

Sorry, the manuals and docs were far away from me, until today, so any perusal about normal ops didn't happen, nor have I much hands on time with the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Don't know about your inverter, but on 2006 Xantrex RS 2000 it doesn't matter, inverter ON or OFF shore power will come on. I always store the coach with inverter completely off, HIBERNATE. When shore power is connected the inverter comes out of HIBERNATE and turns itself on. And of course, the shore power remains active. BTW, three ways to activate the RS 2000, Reset Button, Start Generator, or Plug In Shore Power.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

Thank you for that.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Just in case you're not aware of it ... the surge protector probably has a 2 - minute or so delay while it tests the input source and charges its capacitors. So, the loud "click" from the ATS should happen once the surge protector "cuts in".
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

Thumbs up Thanks, bob.

I've not much time with the coach yet, so this helps and affirms my suspicion of a delay, for some reason. The logic and charging, especially, makes sense as the coach was quite 'dead' at the shop for a while.

I know machinery and some e-devices work better if used versus sitting for long spells. I've seen SmartWheel and other switches improve function with the limited use I gave them.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

The SurgeGard should thump the contactor almost immediatley when you connect to shore power unless it senses bad power, no ground, etc.
Just a guess based on experience- WRV did not properly trim the insulation when they attached the wire ends to the SG input/output. If they came stripped 1/4" then that's what got smashed in the 3/8" termination so there may be insulation smashed in there along w/copper. Mine had some melted insulation where there was insufficient contact w/copper to pass all the amps; hadn't made a problem yet. You may find something like that. Slightly longer strip length req'd.

Be careful when taking the wires out of the SG sockets, there are some small brass paddles w/maybe #22 wire attached that go in the sockets for the sensor circuits; those need to get back where they came.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The SurgeGard should thump the contactor almost immediatley when you connect to shore power unless it senses bad power, no ground, etc.
Just a guess based on experience- WRV did not properly trim the insulation when they attached the wire ends to the SG input/output. If they came stripped 1/4" then that's what got smashed in the 3/8" termination so there may be insulation smashed in there along w/copper. Mine had some melted insulation where there was insufficient contact w/copper to pass all the amps; hadn't made a problem yet. You may find something like that. Slightly longer strip length req'd.

Be careful when taking the wires out of the SG sockets, there are some small brass paddles w/maybe #22 wire attached that go in the sockets for the sensor circuits; those need to get back where they came.
Ahh. Thanks so much. I'll start there with the electrical checks mentioned quite a lot, here, when I get the coach back.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Now that I finally have the coach back, we're cleaning and personalizing it. I'm working thru some issues, including this which is next.

I find the owner's manual poorly done, for many things, like how to raise the bed.

Finding grounds is done via search and repair?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #9

GEN no start, too

Arrgh. My getting to know you tour is not all roses. I have scads of manuals, cards, etc.; even an Engineer Mike Tech CD!

The GEN won't start and I cannot find the fuse. I cycled the breaker(?) on it, ten tried to start it with the switch there. I heard a soft clicking sound, but no crank.

In this 34' 2007 FDDS, does the bed raise up for diesel access? How?

the inveter works and a number of small issues are remedied.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
To raise the bed for engine access lift the foot of the mattress. You will see two removable panels in the platform. Remove the panels inside the opening there is a clamp on each side. Unclamp and unhook and lift platform with mattress. Its heavy there are two 1/4 rods that swing out and hook in brackets on the platform to support it when up.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
You must hold the start button for several seconds for the generator to start.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMunsil View Post
You must hold the start button for several seconds for the generator to start.
Thanks, but no start. It had been starting fine.

Anyone kinow where the control fuse/breaker is?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
One additional thought on the Gen start issue. How much fuel do you have. If too low the Gen will not start.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
The end of the pick up tube in the fuel tank for the generator and Aqua Hot (if installed) is about at the 1/4 tank mark so you will need more than 1/4 tank of diesel to run those items.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power