Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Noisy Air Conditioners

I have Dometic air conditioners and as most people know they make a lot of airflow noise. Nothing is lose, this is just the normal noise from airflow. I read where someone had their Alpine in a RV shop for some work and the shop installed some kind of baffles around the air intakes in the ceiling to reduce the airflow noise. This RV shop designed the baffles and sells them, but they are around $300 each. Is anyone aware of a cheaper solution to reduce the noise form the AC units?

djdobbins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Try holding a tray about 1" or 2" away from the inlet vent and see if it makes enough difference. If you look at the pictures posted earlier that is basically all it is. When I tried it it did make a difference to the air noise but it does nothing for the compressor noise. If you are tall and have a low ceiling you may bump your head on it. Also it seems to me that you would have to remove it to clean the filter. From another discussion you will see that most of us leave the fan running all the time and you get used to it.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #3

I reduced my AC noise by 3dB by trimming out several dozen feet of wire, then zip tying the rest of the wiring wad up tight & fastening it to the side so it wasn't square in the way of fast moving air that had to whistle around it.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Mike. Can you please send me a photo of the wire. dandobbins52@gmail.com
Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdobbins1 View Post
I have Dometic air conditioners and as most people know they make a lot of airflow noise. Nothing is lose, this is just the normal noise from airflow. I read where someone had their Alpine in a RV shop for some work and the shop installed some kind of baffles around the air intakes in the ceiling to reduce the airflow noise. This RV shop designed the baffles and sells them, but they are around $300 each. Is anyone aware of a cheaper solution to reduce the noise form the AC units?
If they are Penguins (earlier vintage) there is a noise reduction kit available. However, it addresses compressor and upper unit vibration noise and does nothing for airflow noise. If you have the "dump" vent/register, your airflow noise is significantly higher than the older "ducted only" airbox.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I've been reading some other sources discussing the noise issue with the Penguin Low Profile Heat Pumps and apparently after May / 2012 Dometic started adding "Soft Grommets" to the compressor mounting which serves to dramatically reduce noise & vibration. Supposedly, you can order a "Soft Grommet Kit" from Dometic for older units (just as our). Does anyone have experience with installing the "Soft Grommet Kit"? There may be other means of adding rubber spacers &/or grommets to the compressor mounting as a DIY project.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
I've been reading some other sources discussing the noise issue with the Penguin Low Profile Heat Pumps and apparently after May / 2012 Dometic started adding "Soft Grommets" to the compressor mounting which serves to dramatically reduce noise & vibration. Supposedly, you can order a "Soft Grommet Kit" from Dometic for older units (just as our). Does anyone have experience with installing the "Soft Grommet Kit"? There may be other means of adding rubber spacers &/or grommets to the compressor mounting as a DIY project.
The kit is cheap ($16). As for the "dramatic" reduction ... I would call it "noticeable". Keep in mind, this is vibration reduction and will not affect airflow noise.

Dometic A/C Grommet and Anti-Vibration Kit - Air Conditioner Parts - Air Conditioners - RV Appliances

There is a bulletin describing the installation.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I built a small square box 12"x12" (a tad larger) to accommodate a 12x12 paper filter. Then found a vent cover to fit. The vent cover has two latches so the filter is easy to change. The paper filter reduces the intake noise a lot but they are still noisy. My ceiling registers really reduced the air flow so I cut the area on the AC shroud and installed a plastic air flow director that one would put on a vent in a bedroom to make the air come down. The air flow and cooling performance was dramatically improved.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the information; sounds like some good ideas for me to try. Could you please send some photos of the fram with paper filter and the mod you did on the AC shroud. dandobbins52@gmail.com or 425 777-0148

Tags
air conditioner