Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Noisy Steering Column 2004 Alpine

I have a noise in my steering column that seems to be just annoying and not a big problem. I had it checked out at two places and both said its probably something to do with the hydraulics. At LeMesa they said that this was a common problem with Alpines and that they used to place a restrictor in the fluid lines and that would most of the time solve the problem. I didnt have this problem prior to a bunch of work being done on the fan componants. The fluid was drained and refilled a number of times. They may have removed the so called restrictor and never replaced it, if in fact it had one in the first place. LaMesa said it's not a potential breakdown issue just annoying.
It actually sounds like it might be the power steering pump but they say it's not. When you turn the steering wheel it just makes a noise.
Anyone ever had anything similar to this and what did you do? Thanks, Dan
Dan Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,
Is the noise there when you are driving down the road or just when turning at low speed?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #3

It may be more simple than it sounds--WRV used a rubber gasket to seal the steering column where it goes thru the floor. This rubber gasket gets dirt/dust in it and tends to rub on the rotating column--causing the noise [use search command to find more on the forum]. Need to remove the plastic cover surrounding the steering column [under dash] and clean/lub the gasket. Curious what did you had to have done with the cooling fan?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have had the same noise since the coach was new. WRV first tried lubing the rubber boot around the column but that didn't do much good. They then sent me the re stricter which I installed in the return line for the hydraulic fluid from the steering pump. Didn't change the sound at all. I have had mine checked out and everyone seems to think that it is normal and not to worry about it.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Mine started making a noise after switching to Rando 46 HDZ
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Learned today Dow Corning 111 is silicone lubricant designed for o-rings and water valves with rubber gaskets, don't know why this would not work for this o-ring. I am going to find it and try that on it. WD-40 will deteriorate the gasket, oil will rot it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
It may be more simple than it sounds--WRV used a rubber gasket to seal the steering column where it goes thru the floor. This rubber gasket gets dirt/dust in it and tends to rub on the rotating column--causing the noise [use search command to find more on the forum]. Need to remove the plastic cover surrounding the steering column [under dash] and clean/lub the gasket. Curious what did you had to have done with the cooling fan?
We had the condensor replaced and when Cummings did that they discovered the cooling fan wasnt working. (wrong) They never let it get up to temp 190. Then they took apart the fan hydraulic system and created a leak in the fan valve because they didnt replace a 25 cent compression washer. It took forever to find the leak and fix it. Finally everything is working correctly. The in dash A/C works well and no leaks in the hydraulics.
Dan Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #8

Wayne R brings up the other part of the equation--there is an evenings worth of discussion on the forum about proper fluid to use in the hydraulic system. My 03 uses ATF[DextronIII/Mercon], WRV started using regular 15-40 engine oil in the 05s, and as of late, people have been chasing some pretty exotic/hard to find substitutes like Rando 46, etc--all with mixed results for braking efficiency and steering noise. Not sure there is a final solution on all this.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I ditto Old Scout's boot issue. My first attempt to lube it was only partially effective. Dry silicon spray did the trick though.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #10

If the noise you are describing is the squeek when you turn the wheel it's probably the rubber boot / seal around the steering wheel shaft mentioned above. I have had ours lubed on two different occasions and in each case it stopped the noise for a while. Now I have the same noise in my 2004 Chevy Silverado so time to break out the silicone spray. Soap will also work.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #11

Think we have "surrounded" the possible causes for steering squeeks on Alpines but the Chev truck is a bit different. Had a similar squeek with my 01 and it turned out to be the upper connecting shaft on the column. Not sure of the exact cause but replacing it was about $100--parts and labor. Result--squeek gone!

Ok-- back to Alpine issues.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
the Chev truck is a bit different. Had a similar squeek with my 01 and it turned out to be the upper connecting shaft on the column. Not sure of the exact cause but replacing it was about $100--parts and labor. Result--squeek gone!
Thanks - I'll check that out.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #13

I have had a noise since new.
It is when turning the wheel in one direction only. Not the rotation of the column, but holding the steering wheel in one position with steady presser.
The sound is like static from an am radio.
I think it might be air bubbles in the line?
The noise I have, is not a dry bushing or boot rubbing.

I try to ignore it.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote