RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

OEM studs on bay wall for what?

Hello,
I had to work yesterday on my transfer switch and moved the Inverter out of the way. While looking around I find 6 studs on the metal wall to the black tank service bay. The screws are inserted from the black tank bay so there is no way one would do that at a later time.
The picture shows the lower 3 the upper 3 have the same pattern and the spacing is about 12Ē.
Also the hole in the metal wall is just for heating? I have an aqua hot basement heater hose connected to nothing and it would reach to that hole.
So the hole is on the left of the water filter and the studs are to the right.
Thank you for your help

Joerg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7978A23C-3627-481C-B8E0-28BBE2A32A7C.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	254052   Click image for larger version

Name:	57BBBFA0-8B56-4650-807E-65DECB9EA17D.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	254053  

Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

This pic of the stud uploaded upside down. The floor is on top.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

The hose/ducting was intended to provide heat to the holding tanks. It may have been disconnected by the previous owner.

Have you opened the bay door on the passenger side of the holding tanks? Two screws at the bottom and it hinges up like the others. You may be able to determine the purpose of those bolts from that vantage point.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

RVPioneer,
Yes I opened up that door thinking that they have a purpose for the tanks. No luck what i found is that the bolt head is on that side so without taking the tanks out you can not insert these 4Ē bolts. This is why I was stumped and curious what could have been mounted there.
So I am contemplating to put my Inverter right on these bolts as this will provide me with a lot of additional space.
I figured the hole was for heating but nothing is simple. I have 2 heat sources propane and the aquahot. I think the propane heat for the basement can go into one of the air intakes for the basement heater of the aquahot (it has 2). This way no matter what heat is used the waste tanks will receive heat.
I looked at bay pics of the alpine that I can find but no luck on them bolts so far.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #5

Alpine06, I have an 2006 Mid Door and the inverter is mounted on that wet wall. Your studs have the jam nuts to make the inverter install easier.
One word of caution, there is a drain line from the kitchen that breaks and leaks on the inverter. Inverters don't like water!
Red1inCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I also donít like the water filter and lines running that close to the inverter, if you donít move the inverter then install some shielding so if you did get a leak it could spray on the inverter.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1inCalif View Post
Alpine06, I have an 2006 Mid Door and the inverter is mounted on that wet wall. Your studs have the jam nuts to make the inverter install easier.
One word of caution, there is a drain line from the kitchen that breaks and leaks on the inverter. Inverters don't like water!
Thanks for that tip !
I will see how I can mount that. The pattern does not fit for the Xantrax Freedom SW inverter but I can come up with something. Yes electronics and water usually donít mix.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I also donít like the water filter and lines running that close to the inverter, if you donít move the inverter then install some shielding so if you did get a leak it could spray on the inverter.
Most of what you see is tubing from the aquahot. That system makes for quite an unorganized mess of tubing and wires in the basement. In the location that I had the inverter there was a hook up for a heater right above it and sure enough it leaked antifreeze right on top of it, lucky that I caught it early and that it was on the lid without cooling holes.
The aquahot is nice though in the winter it makes the coach and the water truly Hot!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
Most of what you see is tubing from the aquahot. That system makes for quite an unorganized mess of tubing and wires in the basement. In the location that I had the inverter there was a hook up for a heater right above it and sure enough it leaked antifreeze right on top of it, lucky that I caught it early and that it was on the lid without cooling holes.

The aquahot is nice though in the winter it makes the coach and the water truly Hot!

I would spend some time cleaning up the mess to avoid problems in the future.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #10

I am working on it. Little by little I am making this coach ďmineĒ. Currently I am cleaning up the wiring in the cabinet behind the remote panels right hand side next to the TV. What a mess, cut off wires and disconnected plugs. It took me all day yesterday to troubleshoot the AGS and reprogram it. Walked inside with a big smile as I had it running. If the rain stops I will mount the inverter on the studs today. Have to make a mounting plate for it though.