Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I am interested in going Off-Roading in the Oregon Dunes during our ACA Pre-Rally in August 07.
Definitely interested, count me in! 8 72.73%
I need more info. 2 18.18%
I would ride along with another. 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #1

I have been in contact with a few members attending the Newport pre-rally who are interested in an Off-Road day. Oregon Dunes ORV area is located 50 miles south of our rally site. Oregon Dunes is one of the premier sites in the country. I have been there numerous times. Anyone with a 4-wheel drive vehicle can access the dunes and have a ball! If you want to go, you need to pay a day use fee and have a safety pole & flag attached to your vehicle. These requirements can be arranged in advance.

I would like to take a poll of those planning to attend the pre-rally.
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #2

I have been in contact with a few members attending the Newport pre-rally who are interested in an Off-Road day. Oregon Dunes ORV area is located 50 miles south of our rally site. Oregon Dunes is one of the premier sites in the country. I have been there numerous times. Anyone with a 4-wheel drive vehicle can access the dunes and have a ball! If you want to go, you need to pay a day use fee and have a safety pole & flag attached to your vehicle. These requirements can be arranged in advance.

I would like to take a poll of those planning to attend the pre-rally.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #3

We have a go Houston! Gale Johnson has tentatively set Saturday as our trip date.

If you ever thought about trying your vehicle in the sand this is your chance. I have been off-road in the Oregon dunes for years; anyone with a four-wheel drive vehicle can have a great time in the sand if you lower your tire pressure to less than ten pounds! I run 3-4 psi in my tires and have never broken a tire bead! You do have to use caution in the dunes. Because of the winds in the Florence area, the dunes are constantly drifting and will have sharp drop-offs on the leeward side. I will have a safety meeting before we make the trip.

Oregon Dunes South Jetty to Siltcoos area is entered from a staging point 2 miles south of the junction of highway 101 and 126 (Florence OR.)Oregon Dunes

You will need to meet a few state requirements to access the dunes.

1. You will need a class two Oregon ORV permit (Sticker).
ORV sticker
2. You will need this safety equipment on your vehicle.
safety stuff

The safety equipment is basic and the permits are reasonable and can be purchased in advance. You will also need to pay a day use fee when entering the park.
The safety flag will need to be mounted securely to your vehicle (the most difficult part). I suggest the front or rear bumper.
I would recommend you purchase a good low-pressure (under 20-psi) tire gauge, I bought mine at NAPA for $10. Bring a nylon yank strap (no metal hooks) and if you have a portable air compressor it would be nice but not mandatory. A few of us already have them, we will share, and town is only two miles away.

Post any additional questions you may have.

Danny