Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Oil And Filter changes

Went to Speedco near Hersey, PA today, in and out in under an hour. Complete LOF including oil and fuel filters, they tested the coolant, checked remaining tread and air pressure on each tire, all for under $225. I used the zerc quiz, they told me they found 11, I told them it should be 13 (they found the other 2).

At twice the price it would have been, as someone said, easy, peasy, quick, didn't get my hands messy, no old oil to dispose of, the wife didn't even mind hanging out in the coach while they did the work. Only thing unusual, I had to drop the toad and they had me pull into the bay backwards (the bays are set up for front engines).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Went to Speedco near Hersey, PA today, in and out in under an hour. Complete LOF including oil and fuel filters, they tested the coolant, checked remaining tread and air pressure on each tire, all for under $225. I used the zerc quiz, they told me they found 11, I told them it should be 13 (they found the other 2).

At twice the price it would have been, as someone said, easy, peasy, quick, didn't get my hands messy, no old oil to dispose of, the wife didn't even mind hanging out in the coach while they did the work. Only thing unusual, I had to drop the toad and they had me pull into the bay backwards (the bays are set up for front engines).

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

What is zerk quiz?

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #31

What is zerk quiz?

Verifying that they lubed all the grease zirks on the coach.

Another option is to make 10 copies of your zirk location chart and have the tech (not service writer) a copy and tell him it is his-- getting it dirty is not a problem.

Much more likely to get things like steering column zirks, brake pivot zirks, etc actually greased.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #32

....now the real zerk test--for extra credit!!!!! will assume there are only 13 zerks on an 04 and newer coach with adjustable brakes [includes one on brake pedal pivot??] So how many zerks are there on the steering column?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Oil And Filter changes

You have to know how many zirconia fittings there are on YOUR coach to make meaningful, 13 is correct for a '05 Alpine 38' FDTS, and probably other '05 or newer Alpines.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You have to know how many zirconia fittings there are on YOUR coach to make meaningful, 13 is correct for a '05 Alpine 38' FDTS, and probably other '05 or newer Alpines.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway

I hate the way auto correct spelling works, even I don't know what a "zirconia" fitting is and I put it in my posting, much less how many I have. They are zerk fittings, sorry about that. I bet if I asked the Speedco tech how many zirconia fittings he lubed he would still be laughing!

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Old scout, I only have 1 under the coach, checked for 1 up in the coach, found the u joint, but no zerk, might add one when I get time, I have the adjustable pedals.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #36

Interesting--always thought it was dumb to "hide" the upper u-joint zerk behind plastic molding around the steering column but didnt know they eventually did away with it. I stand corrected [smile]......
PS--there goes my best question for "Alpine Trivia"--bummer!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #37

Oil change

Having had a handyman business here in Mandeville La. for the last 17 yrs., I find it really really hard to pay someone to do simple jobs that I can do myself. Obviously there are a lot of people that don't feel that way, re: my success in this business for so long.
I just changed my gen. and main engine oil and filter, using my trusty local NAPA outlet for supplies, and this was my cost; $202.00. For that, I got 28 qts of Rotella 15/40, 2 oil filters, a nifty strap-type oil filter wrench that was perfect for reaching up beside the oil pan to loosen the filter, and since it was so close to Christmas, a partridge in a pear tree at no additional cost.
I like the idea of the oil pan drain valve, but am just leery of having a valve there. C'mon folks the plug is a 11/16 that's easy to remove. I went to K-mart and bought a 60 qt. plastic storage container w/separate top for eight bucks, fits easily under the oil pan, so I just pull the plug and let 'er rip. Took it to NAPA and they take the oil for nothing, and I've still got the filter wrench and the drain pan for next time.
Dudley Do-Right
Old 01-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Oil And Filter changes

Dudley, for $23 more Speedco does all the work, handles the old materiel (oil and filters), uses Shell Rotella 15-40 oil, changes both the oil and fuel filters, checks the tire pressure and tread depth, checks the coolant, checks the differential, lubes ALL 13 zerks and although you don't get the wrench and oil pan, you do get another set of eyes looking around under your coach and they do it all from a pit (a different and safer point of view). It seems to me it is worth the additional $23, But but that is my point of view.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #39

Getting your oil changed at Speedco--$225; getting your hands dirty and doing it yourself--"priceless".....I can still relate!!!!!